Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dagolas

Dagolas Banned

The Second Cold War

Discussion in 'Debate Room' started by Dagolas, Dec 18, 2014.

What do you think should be done?

Refusing to shake Putin's hand and saying he's been a naughty boy isn't doing much, it's just probably fueled his desire to send a hydrogen bomb to America for Christmas.

Should a war be done against Russia? Should we bend to their will and give them what they want?

2. Chinspinner

Chinspinner Contributing Member Contributor

Falling oil prices, sanctions and a currency in freefall is having the desired effect in Russia.

3. Dagolas

Dagolas Banned

I don't think so. As I said, I believe Putin is viewing this as a mild bollocking and is still continuing to invade the Ukraine.

I'd like to draw a parallel to Hitler: He invaded a few countries, and the league of nations, in their total BLINDNESS out of the fear of another war, let him, just for the sake of avoiding conflict. When he asked for Poland they started to get a bit frustrated, but Hitler took a leap of faith and invaded it. They then defeated him.

But here they are even blinder, and the stakes are higher: the eradication of mankind with a nuclear war. I believe Putin could easily invade every single country Russia borders with and laugh at Mastercards not working in Russia as a means of sanction.

4. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

This is exactly why we don't want a war with Russia. It would lead to World War 3 and make the second one look like a walk in the park.

Look, I don't like this whole situation either, but I'm with @Chinspinner here. We don't need to go all gun-ho here.

5. Dagolas

Dagolas Banned

"Should we bend to their will and give them what they want?"

I don't think they'll give up at this point, the only other option I can see is to be Russia's b-ch. Another war would just make it a nuclear war, which would destroy the whole of mankind if one bomb was dropped. No one's pro-that.

6. Ben414

Ben414 Contributing Member Contributor

The US and EU should be working more with China to reach a solution; if China stopped backing Russia, I think Putin would find his situation even more untenable.

7. Dagolas

Dagolas Banned

China'll be harder to crack. I have no quarrel with siding with them if it means peace, but some of the more hippie type people won't like that fact they make children work (though between that and nuclear fallout, I'd choose a bit of slavery).

I believe Obama has already visited China to make them turn against Russia, but I think all the other ex-prorussians could rally to Putin (Cuba, North Korea).

8. MainerMikeBrown

MainerMikeBrown Contributing Member

America being aggressive or passive with Putin is not something I'd advise. Instead, being assertive with him is the key.

9. Chinspinner

Chinspinner Contributing Member Contributor

Cuba has already come in from the cold.

How about passive-aggressive?

10. Ben414

Ben414 Contributing Member Contributor

I can see it now! Obama invites Putin to a meeting at the White House and when Putin shows up, Obama claims no knowledge of ever inviting him and sends him away. Then Obama tells Putin that all of the leaders of the EU and himself are throwing Putin a party on a remote island in the Pacific Ocean. When Putin shows up to find nobody there, Obama apologizes and claims that he "forgot."

War averted.

Lemex likes this.
  11. Dagolas

Dagolas Banned

Tell Putin that throwing away the nuclear bombs will make his hair grow back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.