Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J.P.Clyde

J.P.Clyde Prince of Melancholy Contributor

The Secrecy of Discrimination

Discussion in 'Debate Room' started by J.P.Clyde, Jun 17, 2014.

They say that when someone gives you one look, they judge you. The first impression someone sees of you is the impression that last an eternity in their mind.

I'm in a state of catch 22 in my life. I have worked three jobs in the last few years, I'm technically 22 [om jizzles J.p.Clyde disclosing real information about himself]. But I also have been on disability and been struggling with schizophrenia.

I think big time discrimination still occurs when it comes to the hiring process. And I think its bullshit. There is just a new kind of discrimination. Its a secret discrimination. They don't tell you its because of that and this.

For example, I know a friend. She's a nice girl. She's Androa, she dresses androgynous. Her family perpetuates the same argument most people have in society. They always tell her for interviews and the like that she should dress more like a girl. Maybe she should, considering societies big fear of LGBT.

Safe to say she doesn't get very many call backs. I might be a bit paranoid. But I honestly do believe these are cases of discrimination hidden in plain sight.

What do you think? Do you think companies are hiding their discrimination? Do you think that jobs still discriminate against disabilities and LGBT? Even if they aren't suppose to. If they don't specifically say "we're not hiring because you are fat" then are they really breaking the law?

2. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

I think so too. Not cause you're my friend though. But because you know. I have lived my life back and forth between America and Greece. I talk funny. Not Hispanic American funny. Like Greek American funny. I think lots of people are put off by that fact.

3. J.P.Clyde

Not going to lie you do sound funny.

4. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Yes, there's discrimination. Sadly, it's very hard (if not impossible) to prove in cases like this, so there's not much anyone can do about it.

There are two ways to look at this. One, realize that you need a job and do your best to impress the interviewers. This means dressing professionally, trimming/shaving that unruly beard, and not volunteering information about any health issues. Two, if you think being able to express yourself openly is more important than a job (for some people it is), then by all means go for it. But keep in mind that most employers may not hire you because of this. That's just how it is.

jazzabel and Okon like this.
  5. J.P.Clyde

I absolutely understand this. But I do think jobs are getting harder for people a little outside the norm.

6. Wreybies

Wreybies The Ops Pops Operations Manager Staff Contest Administrator Supporter Contributor

Of course there is. And it comes in all flavors. I did a stint with Gap Inc. a little over a decade back, a company known for being very LGBTQ accepting. So, what a surprise to encounter LGBT on LGBT discrimination. There was a right kind of queer and a wrong kind of queer and it was a known known, but an unspoken known.

jazzabel likes this.
  7. J.P.Clyde

How intriguing to know.

8. Duchess-Yukine-Suoh

Duchess-Yukine-Suoh Girl #21 Contributor

Mind giving us more details?

9. DPVP

DPVP Active Member

Well that makes sense, who would hire someone that was not dressed appropriately for an interview? If you cant put in the effort to get a haircut, be groomed and have your suit and tie on, how can you be trusted to get the job done?

10. J.P.Clyde

I have a really poor memory sometimes. I put so much time and effort to look great. Pick out an outfit that I laid on the bed for the event and then go into the closet looking for the outfit after a shower and not being able to find it. Let alone the fact that I struggle with money so I only have one good outfit. Being unemployed for nearly 2 years, kind of doesn't mean I get to buy myself new clothes. I still have to use my disability for other things too, which are just as nearly expensive.

Not that I am making an excuse. Just I am aware, that sometimes I put in the effort and it shows as a lack of effort. Because I um write rather well. I stutter and make nonsense in the real world.

11. 123456789

123456789 Contributing Member Contributor

Yes of course. Nepotism too. Basically, if you're not the friend or family member of a boss, you're not right for the job.

12. stevesh

stevesh Banned Contributor

Never heard the word 'Androa' before. There may be that sort of discrimination out there, but your friend not getting many callbacks isn't necessarily an indication of such. Most companies over-interview for most positions, and it's common now (especially in the 'tech' industries) for job advertisements to be shams, anyway. A lot of the time, the company wants to give a certain open position to a certain current employee, but company rules require them to 'advertise' the job first.

13. Chesster

Chesster Member

Discrimination is absolutely rife. I can't speak for every country, but I can speak for the UK because it's where home is and what I have noticed here, is they have a wide open door policy on the interview process. So anyone can walk through the door, tattoos, piercings, down syndrome, black, white it really doesn't matter. As long as the company tick the box in allowing everyone a chance to put themselves forward for whatever position, the hammer never falls onto them. There's a tiny Hitler in most MD's and inside their head is a picture of what kind of employee they want to see working for them. Sad but true.

14. J.P.Clyde

Sorry that was a typo for Andro. I don't know why I hit the a. But I did.

15. Duchess-Yukine-Suoh

I'll just say that there is a difference between not hiring someone because their race/religion/sexuality and not hiring someone because of their tattoos and piercings.

16. J.P.Clyde

How do you figure?

If I could cover up my tattoos with a professional shirt. If I can take out my piercings, though I don't have any, then how is that any different?

17. Duchess-Yukine-Suoh

Then it's not, because you are not wearing them to work/showing the tattoos, or doing that at an interview.

18. Duchess-Yukine-Suoh

But if you were to wear them to work or the job interview, that would be different.

19. J.P.Clyde

I understand now. Thank you for clearing that up. I got confused at some turn of what you were saying.

Duchess-Yukine-Suoh likes this.
  20. cynthia_1968

cynthia_1968 Active Member

It's likewise in the Netherlands. I used to work for a major company on a help desk in 1998 until '04 and they had a problem with my funny Dutch city accent....

It wasn't professional to speak like someone from Amsterdam, and the joke was on me when I stated that I didn't want to work on Sunday. Not because I'm religious - I'm not - but because I hated the idea of working on Sunday.

That's when they - I mean the management - started playing games with me. Jealous colleagues of mine saw their chance to pick on me because... well; I'm a little diff.

I always took the last call, while everyone else already signed off, and read a book while talking to customers. I didn't give a damn about anything else but the customer. I always ate my sandwich at the desk and didn't leave the building until it was time, or after the last call.

Anyway to cut to the chase: if you're different than most people turns into a tiny "Hitler" even though they say they don't discriminate.

Needless to say that I'm glad that I'm no longer working for them...

21. Chesster

Chesster Member

It sounds as though they lost a real good employee Cynthia, all because they didnt like the fact you was a little different. Their loss, your gain.

There is not one single positive thing to say about discrimination. It's a vile and negative trait to have. We all judge. I know I do, but judging can be for both good and bad things. If you see someone who you find attractive, you have judged them in some way or another for the positive. The same goes for a loud, obnoxious person. You will judge them and most likely dislike them.
    But discrimination usually is an excuse-less form of judging. "I don't like her because she is black" or "He is a buddhist, I don't like their sort". It always encounters someone who is different or opposite. Either way it is negative and will never get you very far in life.

22. cynthia_1968

cynthia_1968 Active Member

Thanks ;-)

I know and it's sad. Just think about Nazi Germany in the 1930s until the end of WWII...

Also, slavery in previous centuries was noting more than a form of slavery if you ask me.

And what about women? In some countries we're still part of collective discrimination. Women get raped in India for instance simply because men think that we - women - are beneath them...

If you think of it: religion itself is a form of discrimination. If you believe in god, you go to heaven. But what about me? I don't believe in such a thing. Therefore, will I go to hell? Even though I don't believe that either.

And you're right... we all discriminate. Perhaps it's human nature, I don't know. Nevertheless, it's a good thing that we can talk about it.

I wonder if animals discriminate too? Now, that's a tricky question. If the answer is yes than it's not only in human nature.... Some monkeys do fight over terrortory so I read somewhere in a newspaper.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.