~The Sports Thread~!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Neha, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

Putting that 6.4 frame to use Cog ;)

I was a sprinter (100/200) then went to Cross country.

They were fun days. I actually liked training back then. Made you feel human.

2. Addicted2aa

Addicted2aa New Member

I didn't even know you could take classes. I just run and if something looks fun to climb or jump on, I do. Or if I think I can't make a jump from a certain height I try it. I wouldn't quite call it practice.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

True 'nuff, but I was only 6' back then. I was no good for the shorter sprints, and got too winded for the longer runs. I wasn't the first out of the blocks in the 200m (actually 220 yard back then), but I always passed at least one runner.

It also helped that I had large feet, for te high jump. I still held out for the Western Roll, and the weight (angular momentum) of my feet helped carry me over tne bar.

The shot and discus were more "fill in" events for me. I could get decent distance, but there were better hurlers on the team. I played the event to fill in 3rd or 4th place points. IU did a bit better with the long jump, but still didn't take a lot of first place wins.

Still, I learned to appreciate te training runs. Tey hurt like hell, but I was one of the more stubborn members of the team (big surprise, right?), so I stuck to them when most of the team were taking short cuts or skipping runs entirely.

4. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

I used to be dynamite when I used to do sprints (especially 100). Made it too States every year.

The sad thing is... if I had parents that actually took interest I may have actually done something of myself. I mean I was a frigging midget when I was in school (and mosyt natural runners are all leg) and I don’t know how I used to make it to states when half the guys against me were a foot taller. Also I never ever trained, part from warm ups....

*sigh* (Stupid mum, I love her, but stupid thing she was)

I did make it to nationals for relays (400m which I was actually forced into by the track coach) It was the greatest day of my life. I was lead runner, inside bend and actually had the greatest start I could possibly get. The guy I passed the baton too was .....an idiot. He snatched it off me and dropped the thing.... Came 5th still (not good in nationals but we were good to actually catch up).....great day because I knew I was better then the guy I hated who couldn’t catch a baton)

[FONT=&quot]Rant of my sporting life over![/FONT]

5. Addicted2aa

Addicted2aa New Member

Is Plymouth still a premiere league team? I've never hear of Huddersfield Town, but I admire your dedication. Footie is the best sport. MLS starts next Saturday and I'm finally old enough to drink at the stadium. psyched.

That is quite the juxtaposition. Do you fight or just watch? I can't train cause it's too expense, but I spar any chance I get.

I agree for the second part. I watch what I can, but rarely make through a whole game unless I'm there live. On the other hand I'll play any game whenever I can.

Do you still run? I joined my college cross country team and it was the first time I ever ran when not chasing something. I hated it at the beginning but now I find myself planning runs that will take me up three or four hills before I'm done. It hurts but feels so good when your done.

Damn you must be fast. It's too bad you never got the support you needed. I always like to dream about what it would be like if I'd dedicated myself to soccer as a kid. I would never have made national team but playing sports for a living or even playing at D1 level would have been possibly one of the greatest life experience I'll never have.

6. Neha

Neha Beyond Infinity. Contributor

You totally can!! lol, of course you need parent approval for that, and I'm not too sure of my Mom..

A friend is a parkour fanatic..so much so that he decided to jump from the roof of one building to another(6 feet apart), ended up falling in between, I can only say Thank God it was a single storey.

7. Dante Dases

Dante Dases Contributor Contributor

Plymouth have never been a Premier League team. In fact, they've never even been in the top division. They were pushing for promotion a couple of years back, mind.

If you're an MLS fan, you'll have heard of John Thorrington, I presume? He used to play for Town, and was very hot and cold. Great on his day (I remember him coming on as a sub against Derby County a few months before he left us - he won us the game), but utter gash towards the end. I've heard that Thorrington does OK out there, which is good for the lad. We have better players than him these days, though - Anthony Pilkington for one.

I'll just post a couple of pics up of places I've been following the Town. I seem to have a habit of taking pictures of grounds I go to.

[​IMG]

The Galpharm Stadium (our home ground - this picture was taken at the match against local rivals L**ds United and was a stadium league record attendance of 20,928)

[​IMG]

The standing terrace at Accrington's tiny Interlink Express Stadium. That day 2,100 turned up - 1,200 of those were Town's travelling support!

[​IMG]

Chelsea away in the FA Cup last season. We took 6,200 fans down to London that day. Shame we lost 3-1 (although they are currently one of the best teams in the world).

8. Addicted2aa

Addicted2aa New Member

I thought I'd seen them playing during the deciding relegation matches. Guess not. Scoring on Chelsea at all for a non-premier team has got to feel good. I wish we were that soccer crazed here. 6000 is a good turn out in total to some games.
    Never heard of your boy either. I guess he plays for the fire but he never really made an impact in any game I watched.

On another note, I ran the first race of the spring today and I'm feeling fantastic about it.