The Sports Thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Gigi_GNR, Dec 9, 2009.

1. Agreen

Agreen Faceless Man Contributor

Denver losing to the Colts, and Brees continuing the push for perfection are the only good to come from today :(

2. Agreen

Tonight's game should be fun, Ottawa is in town. While the rivalry has obviously cooled off some, Leafs fans can still look forward to these games as a chance to boo Daniel Alfredsson. Of course, were the game in Ottawa the booing would be much louder, but we'll work with what we've got. The Leafs beat the Washington Ovechkins 6-3 on Saturday, which leaves me feeling pretty optimistic about this game. Last time they met Ottawa used a pair of shady goals to beat a Leafs team mired in their worst start in franchise history. This time, the Senators are without their starting goalie and the Leafs are not lacking Phil Kessel. Though yesterday's Raiders game showed me the dangers of expectation, I think victory is a reasonable prediction tonight. Time to build up a winning streak going into the new year. Go Leafs Go, and Booooo Alfredsson*

*I don't actually mind him, but booing the best player in the history of a franchise in his own building is fantastic.

3. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

Oh my god, seriously. Steelers loseing to the Cleveland Browns (giving the Browns only thier second win of the year).

Nail in the coffin and a slap in the face. Wow. Bring on the next season.

I have no idea who to go for now (Not a fan of Favourites, so wonders who to follow).

4. Agreen

I'm going with the Bengals, but if you want someone out of the division Jacksonville's not a bad choice.

5. Speedy

Bengals sound like a nice fun choice.

As long as the Ravens go down at some stage.

6. yellowm&M

yellowm&M Contributor Contributor

ok not sure which sport people are talking about right now, but I'm just going to throw in that I'm a soccer fan

just in case anyone is wondering ;)

7. Speedy

Yes i'm a Football fan as well ;)

8. yellowm&M

haha soccer is the real football

all the other american's have it wrong
    I still don't quite understand why american football is the most popular sport over here...even above soccer :confused:

what does crack me up is how many americans think that american football is the most popular sport in the world just because it's the most popular here lol

9. Speedy

You know apart from the superbowl as someone from overseas i would have never expected the NFL to be "the" sport of USA. Maybe college football (or college basketball). But i always thought it was probably baseball or nascar (motorsport).

10. yellowm&M

No I'd say it's pretty much the sport

Though it also depends on where you are, because some sports are more popular in certain areas

For instance it just so happens soccer is actually pretty popular where i am as opposed to other areas of the country

football is just more universally popular (throughout the country i mean)

11. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

It's the gorgeous cheerleaders. Soccer doesn't have them! And, for old guys like me, it's the great tailgate BBQ parties at football games...LOL

12. yellowm&M

tailgate parties are fine

but the gorgeous cheerleaders? I'm sorry but cheerleaders are way overrated and can be really annoying

(I'm really sorry if i just offended anyone)

1 person likes this.
  13. Agreen

Really strong showing from the Leafs tonight. They controlled the play, and took away a well deserved 3-2 win. In the third period, up until its last minute, the Leafs held Ottawa to 3 shots on goal. So now they find themselves with 2 straight wins again... time to finally extend a streak to 3. Their next opponent, the Phoenix Coyotes, have been playing better than usual this season, but I think the Leafs can take it.

14. Unsavory

Unsavory Active Member

Happy to see the 49ers beat the Cardinals (or maybe the Cardinals beat themselves.) It probably won't mean much in the long run, but at least the team has extended the meaningfulness of their season by one more week.

15. LadyLazarus

LadyLazarus New Member

I'm a Rugby fan, and women's football (the English football, not the American football which reminds me eerily of Rugby, with more padding). Tennis has also known to be captivating.

I'm also unsure of which sport you're discussing in this thread. I'm going to hazard a guess and say hockey? :p

16. Unsavory

Unsavory Active Member

Agreen was talking hockey and I was talking American football.

17. Dante Dases

Dante Dases Contributor Contributor

I'm going down to Norwich on Saturday to watch Town. That promises to be interesting; they score goals for fun at home, whilst we're the top scorers in Europe (with 62 goals in 27 games in all competition). They're third, we're fifth. It promises to be a thrilling contest between two attacking football teams.

On the other hand, Norwich are managed by Paul Lambert, so they'll be physical, bordering on downright dirty if the Colchester side managed by Lambert last season is anything to go by. I'd take a point from the game to keep the promotion push on course, so we can go to Carlisle on Boxing Day in the play-offs (barring MK Dons winning by a 21-goal margin. As this has never happened in Football League history, I doubt it'll happen this week). Following Carlisle, it's MK Dons themselves at the Galpharm, and I quite fancy giving them an almighty hammering.

18. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

I have friends who were very upset by this. :p

19. Agreen

I couldn't stop laughing throughout that game. The fumble is the second finest play in football, trailing only the safety. My father is a 49ers fan and I called him before it started to say he probably won't want to watch the Monday Nighter. It turns out he enjoyed it about as much as I enjoyed the Leafs game.

20. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

I can't wait for the Packer game. Hopefully we don't break our winning streak, but the Steelers aren't doing so well. :rolleyes:

Comment about the cheerleaders: I agree with my twin, they are overrated. Some may be wonderful people and not the mean selfish sterotype, of course. But really, enough.

As for us girls, we love us some quarterbacks, myself included. MY fave team's QB, to be specific. ;) *coughAARONRODGERScough*

21. yellowm&M

Twin Power!! :D

haha I'll admit I have a couple favorite players on my (soccer) team too lol

22. Shadow Dragon

Shadow Dragon Contributor Contributor

As a Ravens' fan, I love seeing the Steelers lose like they have been. You just gotta love them losing to the Browns. :D

Oh and yay for Jags and Broncos losing. Hopefully one of them will lose another game, putting the Ravens into the wildcard.

23. Speedy

Its funny. I'm not even an American, nor do i get the chance to get into the NFL enough, but i completely get the Steelers and Raven hate.

I hope the Ravens go all the way to the bowl and bleed themselves out of the game before half time ;)

24. Coldwriter

Coldwriter New Member

Some say in an idealistic bubble they cant wait to
    Minnesota Wild win! New additions winning for us!
    After a miserable start, this is a hockey team.

25. Agreen

The Toronto Maple Leafs' top prospect Nazem Kadri made the final roster for the Canadian World Junior Championship team. While they apparently aren't nearly so big elsewhere, the World Juniors are one of the biggest events of the Canadian sporting year, and a good opportunity for scouts to get a rare chance to look at some of the best international prospects compete against each other. Canada has won the last 5 World Junior tournaments, and with a player of Nazem's calibre I'm confident they will do so again.

I'm not quite so confident about the Leafs game tonight. While I think they're going to string together one of these little streaks into something big, the Phoenix Coyotes are just the type of team the Leafs struggle against. They are solid though unheralded (indeed, given the disastrous off-season the actual on-ice team might be the lowest profile in the entire league), they play good defense, and they are catching the Leafs on a non-glamour Wednesday night. Not that I think they have no chance of course, but a win tonight will require strong team defence, and a good showing from their game-breakers. And by game-breakers, I mean Kessel. Unfortunately the cloning project is not yet complete, and Kadri is busy elsewhere, so the Leafs will need Phil to deliver one of his backbreaking goals tonight.