The Starshade's Legacy: Last of the Imirri

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Keitsumah, Feb 11, 2013.

1. NRed

NRed New Member

Kar kneels down beside the tracks, he scrapes snow inside the track he feels a composition of it. He grasps skull hanging at his side he raises so it spares back at him."There fresh tracks... They smell of shifter stench" he waits a moment as if listening " no there's no such thing" he looks up spotting a few black wisps rising in the distance. He begins to speak again: "look... It must be a town too much smoke for a camp" he pauses again "you're wrong I think I would notice a shifter raiding party" he said angrily, dropping the skull it swings back into place at aside. He starts off towards the rising smoke in the distance

2. Exzalia

Exzalia Banned Contributor

But on another note are you really looking for shifters? Their dangerous you know?

"When I was young my caravan was attacked by bandits, they killed three people and stole much of our supplies. They were human."
    She took a bite out of her meat sitting in a regal fashion. Lifting her finger as to make a point.

"Humans can be just as dangerous."

3. Kingtype

Kingtype Banned Contributor

Wally nodded. "Oh I'm sorry to hear that. You see I ain't that smart. You probably want me to go." He figured it was only a matter of time before he upset her...hell he already thought he had upset her. "I know humans can be bad to. I'm not exactly the most well liked person in the world." Wally continued. "You probably want me to go?" He asked perfectly willing to leave if she said scram.

4. Macaberz

Macaberz Pay it forward Contributor

"Here ya go boy -try some of this."

Tim looked up at Gunthran as if he was a saint, sent straight from the highest heavens themselves. His eyes grew wide and he glanced at the soup, then at Gunthran and back at the soup again. Just when Gunthran turned his back on him, he mustered all his courage and commited a great crime, he asked a question.

"Is this...is this for me, Sir?" Tim asked, his cheeks glowing with a soft red as the lifeforce returned to him. The child gulped, wagering if he should have the boldness to not ask one, but two questions. "And who is Ta-moss, Sir?" Tim inquired, his usual melancholic look fading to the background and an expression of genuine interest taking its place.

5. Keitsumah

Keitsumah The Dream-Walker Contributor

Gunthran; The Inn

The elderly man chuckled, closing the grate to the stove after stirring the cinders, "My name's Gunthran, young'un -an' ye may not be familiar with the way i speak. I meant 'moss' for yer feet." he said, waving a hand at the boy's toes. "We need te get em patched up or ye'll not be walkin' much."

"Do ye have any parents?" he asked after a moment, a brow rising.

6. Macaberz

"Do ye have any parents?"

Tim felt ashamed at misunderstanding and lowered his head in shame. When Gunthran inquired about his parents, he lowered his head even further. He bit his lip and had a hard time not to dilute his hot soup with tears. "I beg your pardon Sir, I didn't know what moss is." Tim said. He was astonished to hear that people were gathering'moss' for him. Though he really did not know what to expect. Perhaps it was some sort of herb to season him before they cooked him. But the fact that Gunthran asked about his parents made the dark thought fade to the background.

"I don't have any parents Sir, I am an orphan." Tim replied. He cocked his head back up and gazed into the distance over Gunthran's shoulder. His vision went into soft focus and his look was dreamy, as if thinking about his parents made them tangeable. For the first time a smile crept over the child's face, though it was not one of joy or happinees. It was a smile of hope, hope that perhaps he still had some family, out there. But above all, hope that his parents still, somehow, where alive.

"I think about them alot." Tim muttered softly.

7. JessWrite

JessWrite Word Nerd & Proud! Contributor

Leila and Marklin: Mysterious Strangers

Marklin tied down the last corner of deerskin that made up the roof of his tent. He'd finally found a quiet spot at the edge of the southside of the village. Three large trees stood guarding his back and in front of him lay the village. Marklin sat down with a sigh in front of his fire. He wondered briefly if the Shifter had killed Mira yet, but he hadn't heard any screams or calls of alarms so she was probably ok. That Shifter had to be extremly slow in the brain if it thought it was human. Marklin shook his head. But no need to think of such things right now. Then again, what else was there to think of?

----

Her boots left tracks in the muddied snow as she took a shortcut through the forest. She grinned beneath her hood, juggling two smooth stones in her calloused hand. With a grin Leila held one of them up to the light and took in the brilliant array of colors. Must be a loose gemstone of some kind, like what her dagger was made of. She predicted it could take in a hefty price if she'd find a buyer willing to pay her prices. With one last toss into the air, she pocketed the stone with her other 'findings' and continued on her way. The other side of the village was only a short distance still, she could see it in between some trees. She picked up her pace, but stopped as soon as her eyes picked up the familiar flicker of light. Leila darted behind another tree, holding her breath in the hope that whoever had made the fire had not heard her.

Marklin heard the unmistakable sound of a twig breaking behind him. He jumped to his feet and spun around, hatchet in hand. He lowered the weapon slightly and his scowl lessened as he saw a young woman with brown hair peering from behind a tree. "If you mean no harm to me...then I mean no harm to you. So come out of hiding or go back where you came from."

Leila chuckled as she stepped from hiding. "Attacking from behind a tree is something of an amateur, so no, I do not mean harm in the slightest." Her one eye sparkled as she studied the man's intriguing exterior. Her gaze shifted to the weapon he had in hand, then locked back in place with his steel blue eyes. "If you mean no harm then I shall be on my way. That is...unless you would like to barter?"

Marklin slipped the hatchet back in his belt and sat down by his fire. She was cocky but smart. A bit of bravery in there too. One of the strong ones. "I have nothing to barter with. I gave the last of my meat to a child in the village." He replied evenly. "I'm sure there are others in the village who you will have more luck with."

Leila raised an eyebrow. Nothing to barter with? "Are you saying you have nothing at all but the clothing on your back and that weapon you use?"

Marklin was silent for a moment. "What else do I need? Anything else that mattered has been lost long ago."

"Ah...I see." Leila nodded, although she didn't quite understand at all. "You do not have your eyes open to the glory of possessing wealth; of what could be yours if you made that happen."

"Wealth? What wealth is there to be had in this world?" Marklin asked with a hint of contempt in his voice. "And how can one enjoy it when so many suffer? Perhaps if more people who had wealth were willing to share it with those who have nothing...then so many children wouldn't suffer the pain of starvation or die from the cold of winter."

Leila was taken aback by his words and joined the silence for a moment. Yes, there was suffering but she too had suffered. Up to the point that she deserved wealth. And there was plenty to be had. Was he blind to the wares in the markets?

"Because of this suffering, do you believe that we should then be like those who have nothing? Isn't that taking selflessness a length too far?" Leila said. "I myself believe that we should gain not lose."

"Such mentality is what leads humans to prey upon other humans. To enslave their own kind and gain wealth for themselves; so they don't have to suffer like others. No better than Shifters." Marklin looked up at the young woman, a hint of anger in his eyes. "Go. Get your wealth. But don't forget the people who suffer everyday. And when you do succeed in gaining your wealth, use it to help aleviate the suffering of some...so that they may go and do the same for another person. Maybe then...one day...this nightmare can end." Marklin looked back down at his fire, signaling he was done talking.

Leila frowned as she brushed past him, her cloak waving in the harsh cold. "Very well. Good day to you, Sir," she said and turned on her heel to leave. A few steps later and she turned back around to the man warming himself. "And good luck to you with the poor life."

Leila adjusted her hood and continued on into the village, replaying the man's words in her mind with each step.

8. Macaberz

"Hey Ardoway" Rafael said as he trotted up to Ardoway. "Why are you so tense? I know the risks as well as you do but you seem, worried." Rafael said. He lowered his voice somewhat and guided Ardoway slightly away from the others. "What is the matter?" Rafael asked. Ardoway had always felt like an older brother to him, rarely had Rafael seen him so unsettled, so worried.

9. Pepper1

Pepper1 Active Member

A land far far away, in a time long forgotten.
    Perrin

Perrin was out in the streets to get some air, when he heard the unmistakable noise of a street fight. He joined the people standing in a circle around the fighters. Street fights were a common thing in the fortress. It was a nice way to settle differences or simply to train. This fight seemed to be between two guards, they didn't seem too fiendish so Perrin guessed they was just passing time. One of them was able to get a good punch at the other. Perrin was already turning away, knowing the fight was over when one was hit. It was different this time though. A roar caught his attention as the loser of the match transformed. The winner accepted the challenge by transforming himself. When in wolf form the rules changed. Now it was the first to lose consciousness or give up that lost. The circle grew wider to give the wolves more space, then the fight started. The loser, a dark brown wolf, hurled himself at his opponent, a light grey one. The fight was quickly over. The smaller brown wolf had to give up. He was bleeding from several gashes, while the grey was only mildly injured. They both transformed. The winner looked out on the cheering crowd, his sweeping gaze coming to a rest. He was looking directly at Perrin. "Hey you! You're a scout correct?" Perrin nodded his head. "Yes I am. What can I do for you?" He was the lowest rank, so respect was required. "Go fetch a medic for him." He motioned to the brown. "And hurry will ya." There was a look of concern in his eyes. Perrin nodded again. "As you wish." Then he transformed. People made way for him as he sped off towards his destination.

10. Keitsumah

Keitsumah; The Forest

"I don't know, something's just-" Ardoway paused, and then whipped his bow out, the string taut as he aimed towards a denser patch of trees.

A grey stag stepped out, and it clearly had once been one of the more beautiful animals in the forest with its massive antlers, but there was something profoundly wrong about it. Its sides were completely caved in, emaciated. Its fur was lackluster and ragged. But worst of all were its eyes, glazed over and blind as a clear liquid dripped from its mouth.

"Plague." Ardoway cursed and shot the stag through the heart, watching it sag and collapse. He didn't bother to go and retrieve the arrow. Keitsumah shivered, shaking her head slightly. That wasn't what the voice had been speaking of, but her feeling of dread faded a bit. Maybe ti had just been the deer.

------------------------------------------

Gunthran; The Inn

"Orphan eh? Ardoway and Keitsu are as well -poor things lost their parents in a fire." Gunthran said, cleaning a mug.

-----------------------------------------

Batos; The Fortress

The Prince stormed out of the throne room, scattering the people gathered around the doors. His rage was palpable, and as it was rarely seen it made the others even more wary of him.

"Going on a raid- gather some people to hunt, scout, and fight." he barked to a guard, who bowed and qickly went to do his bidding.

11. Macaberz

Tim gawked at Gunthran. He did nit know who Keit or Ardoway were but he did not want to bother the kind man with more questions. He attacked his food ferociously and swallowed the hot liquid down. When the bowl had been scraped clean he placed it in front of and looked at Gunthran, unsure what to do next.

"You have been very kind to me Sir, thank you, I will always remember it." Tim said softly. He tried to stand up and clenched his teeth as his sore feet contacted the floor. He swayed a little to the left and right, but remained on his feet. His forehead gleamed with a bit of sweat and his skin was pale, in spite of the nurturing he had received. The cold had done more than harm the child physically, Tim had a fever coming.

12. Exzalia

"Whether you go or not is up to you." she replied calmly, "You are your own shifter, er I mean human." She waited silently for what he would do.

13. Kingtype

Wallace looked thoughtful for a moment. He didn't want to go but he didn't want but he was hoping he wasn't annoying her. He didn't like being a burden on people. So after about a minute of thinking he made his choice. "I think I'll stay." He said nodding his head. "Its a little embarrassing to admit but this the first time a person as talked to be this long or nice before in a very long time." He said with with honesty. He was happy to have interaction it made him feel good. "So if it isn't to much trouble I'd like to assist you. Is that okay?" He asked nervously.

He wasn't going to let the one person in to talk to him like he actually mattered get away. He was tired of being alone so he made the choice to stay....at least until he was ran out of town or she old him leave.

14. Exzalia

Mira smiled, "um...sure why not?" Mira said with a smile. "I would love your help but I warn you it will be dangerous."

15. Kingtype

Wallace began to beam getting very excited. "Oh boy you really mean it? I can help you? Does that make us friends?" Wally was so happy he started jumping up and down. He the heard the words danger and paused his face becoming neutral. "Danger huh? I hate danger it pisses me off." He said with a growl. Anger at 5 percent (slightly irritated) Wally continued. His irritation fading in a matter of seconds down to 0 percent. "But I don't mind it. I'm just tired of being alone." He said frowning. "And I held you then I won't be anymore. Danger or not."

16. Exzalia

"well then you best get ready, pack your things say good by to your loved ones and what not. I rarely stay in a village for long. And I won't wait if you're late." Mira said raiseing her finger and shaking it in an almost teasing fashion.

17. Kingtype

Wally laughed happily. "Then those jobs are already done. I'm already packed as you can see." He said picking up a massive duffle bag with one hand and slinging it over his shoulder. The shifter then started frowning as if he remembered something bad. "I don't really have any loved ones to say goodbye to." He said sadly and was being truthful. Both his adoptive parents had died a couple years ago. He didn't like thinking about the matter to much. Simply because the subject made him sad as opposed to angry.

18. NRed

NRed New Member

Stopping again when he heard the familiar "twang" of the arrow being loosed. Continuing moving forward he drew his sword silently and un-slung his shield. He came upon a young girl and boy; they were staring at a sickly dealer with an arrow protruding from its site. He stopped unsure if the pair spotted him.

19. Keitsumah

Keitsumah; The Forest

"We need to find that moss soon. It's getting late." Ardoway warned, turning to head into the forest when he saw something out of the corner of his eye. Whipping around, bowstring taut, his eyes narrowed as he saw the strange fur-clad, bone be-decked stranger, "Who are you?"

Keitsumah looked at the man calmly, her large, violet eyes betraying no emotion as the gems on her necklace began to glow again. Instead of following her brother's example, she strode deeper into the forest, walking a little unsteadily as if she was ill.

Moss . . . Bones . . . she kept hearing the voices murmur, louder and louder with each step she took.

Finally brushing aside some dead brush. Keitsumah made it into a clearing, "Guys! I found some!" she called back.

Moss grew in a dense green clump on a log in the center of the clearing, the emerald fungus glistening with newly melted frost. Running forwards, the girl picked most of the moss, but paused when her hand brushed something. Looking down, she saw that the branches along the log had been sharpened to look like stakes. Who would waste firewood by doing that?

Lifting her head, she looked around and stopped, horror crawling up her spine as her mouth dropped open. She could hear the others crashing through the woods after her, then their surprise and shock.

"By the stars . . ." Ardoway hissed, staring at the skeletons that hung from the trees all around them.

20. NRed

NRed New Member

As a boy drew his bow Kar tightened his grip around his sword and lowered the shield in front of him. When the boy spoke "Who are you?" Kar responded quickly "Kar" response sounded more guttural and not like actual speech. He began to measure up, the distance between them was no more than 20 strides. The most amounts of arrows he could loose at him were two at most. Then he'd be upon him, with a single slash of his sword would open his throat. His thoughts were interrupted by the girl beckoning them to follow her.

The boy quickly followed after the girl. Kar unsure what to do followed them cautiously. As he entered the clearing he noticed the skeletons he spat. He said nothing as he reached out his hand he took his sword and ran the Blades length across his palm before sheathing it. The small red line grew quickly across his palm, the blood began to drip to the ground he spoke "spirits I offer my blood to you"

21. Keitsumah

Keitsumah; The Forest

At Kar's word's Keitsumah whipped around and saw the blood. Her eyes widened further.

Help us!
    Help us!
    Save us . . . Save us . . .
    Save us Starshade!

"Beware the moss that grows upon the bones that sing a deathly hum." the words finished themselves in her mind even as she spoke them, and a howling wind tore through the treelimbs, making them rattle and crack against one another as an unearthly moan echoed through the teeth of the skulls. Darkness enfoldeditself on her vision, and the girl stubled as something screeched and dove at her from above, sinking invisible claws into her side. She screamed, heard her brother coming, but then the claws were gone and she felt something brush past her. Her eyes were momentarilly riveted by the pure white, four-tailed fox with glowing eyes as it passed through each person. No one could see it but her.

Help us!
    Help us!
    Save us . . . Save us from the Dark . . .
    the voices cried -and Keit realized that they were the lost souls of those who had been murdered here.

Save us from the Dark. Keitsumah looked around and saw shadows condencing around the man named Kar. He'd said he'd offered blood to them. He didn't know what their intent was, what they could do with his blood.

Possession. Death. Agony. Keitsumah felt something like a blast of electricity surge in her veins and the neklace glowed blindingly bright, casting back the shadows. Still, one lunged for Kar, its yellow eyes blazing as it sank ebony fangs into the back of the man's head.

"Get off of him!" she screeched, and the shadow was yanked back and thrown into the forest with a wild dry as light flooded the clearing.

The girl wobbled on her feet, then collapsed into her brother's arms as he rushed forwards.

"Keitsumah!" she heard him shout, but her conciousness faded into black.

22. Love to Write

Love to Write I'm a lover of writing. What else is to be said? Contributor

Marklin

Marklin's bowed head suddenly shot up as a feeling of warning filled his being. He jumped to his feet hatchet in hand, looking for the danger.
    Moss and bones. The thought was not audible but more of a picture. Trapped souls of the bones. Among the moss they hang.

Within 2 minutes Marklin had his few possessions packed and upon his back and he set off into the dense forest. His feet crunched the snow as he walked, guided by what he called hunter's intuition. A scream rang out in the crisp cold air and he sprinted to the scene. Marklin arrived just in time to see the young girl from the town collapse in the arms of her brother. Moss, bones and agonized spirits. He looked up. Skeletons hung from the trees and he felt a chill of terror. "What has happened here?" He demanded.

23. Macaberz

"What has happened here?"

"Quite honestly, I have no idea." Rafael said, he was wobbling on his legs and felt sickened by the events that had unfolded before his eyes. Altough he was not sure what he had seen anyway. There were skeletons and there was blood, and Keit had fainted. Rafael darted forward, grabbed some of the moss and shifted his weight uneasily. "Can we go now?" he said as he stuffed the moss in one of his pockets and lifted Keitsumah by her legs so that he could carry her with Ardoway.

---

"I am not feeling very well Sir, but I do not want to...trouble you...any..any" Tim yawned "any more..." he sighed. The child wobbled between the tables and headed for the door out. Altough he was in no condition to walk, he did not want to bother the kind man anymore. The child realized that he could not possibly hope to survive in the cold world outside and regretted that he had announced his departure. "Sir, if I sit in the corner and be quiet, good boy, would you have..." Tim paused for a moment, to recollect his courage "would you have...the goodness to allow me to stay for the night?" Tim murmured eventually, folding his bony fingers of one hand between those of the other in a very anxious manner.

24. NRed

NRed New Member

Has Kar finished uttering his words. The world seemed to become enraged, a sudden wind began to rip him the trees began to crack and moan. Keitsumah began to scream, and her necklace began to glow. Suddenly

Kar was suddenly filled with searing pain. Never before he felt such, it was so great it seemed to paralyze him. As he fell to his knees the world filled with light and Keitsumah began to yell"Get off of him!" As suddenly as the pain started it left him. His mind reeled, he was unsure what just happened the only thing he knew that Keitsumah saved his life. His mind spinning to reel until he heard a voices emanating behind him, he quickly stood to face the voices. As he stood he grabbed the hilt of his sword.

As Rafael rushed past him. Kar spoke seeming to no one in particular “who are you... What happened” he managed to choke out.

25. Macaberz

“who are you... What happened”

Rafael snapped his head around and nearly dropped Keitsumah. There was a tall man, somewhere in his twenties. He seemed injured though Rafael was unable to spot any physical traces of harm. He stopped and walked up to the man, who was significantly taller than him.

"I don't know...there was a noise and...are you hurt?" Rafael slurred. He found it oddly unsettling that a man as strong and tall as the one in front of him looked so weak after what had happened. Especially since Rafael himself felt perfectly fine, aside from being shaken a little by the sudden turn of events. "The name is Rafael by the way." he said as he eyed the newcomer.