The Starshade's Legacy: Last of the Imirri

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Keitsumah, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Love to Write

Love to Write I'm a lover of writing. What else is to be said? Contributor

"I'll get rid of this all..." Gunthran mumbled.

Marklin's face was hard as he walked into the inn. His eyes seemed to glimmer with a hint of worry as he looked around at the amount of ice that had somehow impossibly formed. "What happened here?" He asked. It was obvious he wouldn't take 'nothing' for an answer.

2. Keitsumah

Keitsumah The Dream-Walker Contributor

Keitsumah; the Inn

"What happened here?"

Ardoway waved Gunthran off and sent the old man to a chair to sit down, "I'll deal with this. Keitsu, run upstairs. I forgot my bow."

The girl nodded and obediently ran up the steps.

Ardoway turned towards the others, glancing at Gunthran cautiously, and the old man nodded once, exhausted.

"Obviously it appears you were attacked. We were as well. Honestly I'm not sure why, but Keitsu just isn't normal." he began, "I found her one night under the pine trees outside of the village, wearing that necklace. It was just after my parents... or our parents as she believes... were killed in a fire. Gunthran took us in, and we've been here ever since."
    "Up until recently, though, Keitsumah has been having strange... moments when her face just goes completely blank and she looks as if she's far away. When we found that graveyard in the forest, that was just another incident -but the largest out of all we have seen thus far. Then, she ran off tonight," Ardoway shook visibly, "Thank the spirits that you weren't affected by them... we were attacked here as well."

Gunthran grunted and stood up, and he changed again -his appearance returning to that of what he had been before as a faint haze wreathed over him and then faded, "I cannot explain just what will 'appen yet, or your fate will be sealed, but Keitsumah may be the last hope for our kind. Have none o'ye heard the legend of the Starshade?"

The air seemed to grow heavier, and every person in the room could feel some sort of presence grow, pulse, rise up from the floor. Ardoway drew the dagger and looked at it as it glowed almost blindingly bright. His silver eyes were narrowed and his mouth was set in a grim line. Then he turned to look at the others.

3. Pepper1

Pepper1 Active Member

A land far far away, in a time long forgotten.
    Perrin

Perrin was just trying to move a little farther away from the prince, to avoid suspicion. As he made his way carefully past the sleeping bodies, he heard the sharp sound of a twig breaking from the forest. His head snapped in that direction. In that one moment of distraction he managed to step on the tail of a massive wolf. The raider was on him in seconds. Fury evident in his eyes.

"Say your reason right away, if you care for your pretty face."

The rough voice of the warrior woke some of the wolves nearby.

"The...the sound...twig snapping.....distracted....so sorry" Perrin was terrified. He knew the big wolf could easily kill him.

Both wolves looked up, just in time to see the frightened hare running away.

4. Keitsumah

Batos; The Camp

Batos glanced up and growled at the other Shifter, ears laid back. The raider didn't bother with questions and leapt away from Perrin, tail between his legs.

Bibindoe laughed and made the other prince's head whip around, "You want to make something of it?"

The black wolf's muzzle curled in a grin, revealing teeth, but he lowered his head and seemed to go back to sleep. Batos snorted, getting up with a huff and stretching his spine.

"Well, how about we go hunting before the raid?" Elzeikk commented dryly, looking in the direction the hare had gone. Batos nodded and padded in that direction, glancing at Perrin to beckon him along.

5. Pepper1

Pepper1 Active Member

A land far far away, in a time long forgotten.
    Perrin

Perrin caught the glance from Batos. He knew he'd been wounded if not for the prince. He apologized one last time before following the prince.

6. JessWrite

JessWrite Word Nerd & Proud! Contributor

Leila Scarlet

An explosion ripped through the air, shaking the ground before her. Leila’s head jerked up as she pocketed some salted pork into her satchel. She’d been heading from the village square, hoping to make a silent retreat back to her travels. But, what had that been? Her curiosity soon took over and she began a walk to where the sound had originated. My was this village busier than many she’d come across. And busy usually meant dangerous…

Yesterday evening Leila had found a nice alley to tuck in for the night down the road a bit, no need to waste precious treasures on the warmth of an inn. She didn’t know if any could be trusted in this small village, what if she was to be cheated? What if she was left with nothing, just like the man she’d spoken to?

That’d be close to the likeness of death.

Leila shook off the thought as she approached a building. No one appeared to be outside. Cautiously she crouched low and pressed her small frame against the wall, listening closely. Voices filtered through an open door.

With a deep breath, she took a few steps towards the frame and peeked inside. Crowds of people were caught in a discussion.

"…obviously it appears you were attacked. We were as well. Honestly I'm not sure why, but Keitsu just isn't normal. I found her one night under the pine trees outside of the village, wearing that necklace. It was just after my parents... or our parents as she believes... were killed in a fire. Gunthran took us in, and we've been here ever since."

Honing the skills of eavesdropping, Leila heard what she needed. A necklace, hmm? What was so special about this certain necklace, worn by this special girl?

Clearing her throat, Leila stepped inside and pulled down her hood. A little lie couldn’t hurt to find her answer.

“Hello dear village people,” she said with false cheer. “I was wondering if any of you nice folk could tell me where I am? I believe I may have gotten turned around at the fork a few miles back.”

Leila looked over each person with a smile…until she met the gaze of one familiar face, the man from the forest. She swallowed hard as she gripped her satchel tightly.

How great her luck was panning out today.

7. Love to Write

Love to Write I'm a lover of writing. What else is to be said? Contributor

Marklin

“Hello dear village people,” she said with false cheer. “I was wondering if any of you nice folk could tell me where I am? I believe I may have gotten turned around at the fork a few miles back.”

Marklin recognized the woman from earlier that afternoon. The one who had been determined to gain as much wealth as she could and pull herself out of this sorry way of life. He was surprised she was around.
    "Leila...was it?" Marklin said, in his usual quiet and uninterested tone. "You are in an inn called the Broken Wine Press. The Light forest is to the east of us and to the west lies the dark forest. This town has no name so that is the best explanation I can give you."

Marklin returned his attention back to the conversation. "This starshade, why is she so important? What makes her more special than any other person?"
    Had the voice been right? Was she truly the one who would lead him out of the dark? Would he finally soon be free of this pain and hate?

8. Keitsumah

Guntrhan and Ardoway; The Inn

Gunthran sighed and leaned back in his seat for a moment, clearly contemplating his next words.

"Where to begin . . . where to begin . . ." he muttered, then his eyes glazed over in memory.

"During the wars between our kind and the Shifters, the world seemed even blacker and more hopeless than ever before. People fled their homes or died defending them, and soon our armies were all backed against the coast, trapped. You all may have heard versions of the atrocities that the Shifters did to our kind, and still do today, but after they had picked off the last strongest of our warriors and were closing on on what few remained of our people, something appeared on the horizon."

"The moon had simply vanished, and the sun was still yet to rise when a boat with a silver sail could be seen. The Shifters halted their attacks, fearful of these strange things, but kept our people pinned to the cliffs lest we escape. No one expected that these strange ships might have come to rescue us, but somehow the gods had heard our pleas. A man garbed in white stood at the prow of that first boat, and then more and more of the fleet, silvery ships appeared, speeding towards the cliffs like birds. The people oboard these ships appared in every way to be human, but some say that they looked more like angels sent from above. Mists clouded the boats and hid their numbers, and it was only until the ships had reached the cliffs that the earth began to tremble and shake uncontrollably. Many fell into the oceans, only to be caught by massive birds of prey and the jaws of sea serpents who rose out of the waters, as tall as the great pines outside our village. 'Fear not' the man shouted, 'for I come to free the children of Ellion!'"

"Many did not beleive it, thinking that their minds had abandoned them. Then, the Shifters attacked, slaying more and more of our people. One girl lost all of her family, but survived along with the rest of our kind. Her sorrow and rage was so powerful that even the ocean waves bowed to it, and the strange people aboard the ships quailed beneath her strength. Still, she had no powers to bring about vengeance upon the Shifters, and that was when the gift of the Imirri as placed upon her. These people were descended from one of the first of our kind, having journeyed across the seas for time and time again unknown. With eyes like gems and the flowing movements that could only belong to the gods, they bestowed power upon the girl, for they could never know the sorrow of our race for losing so many to the Shifter's jaws. They transformed the child into another of their own kind, and so the Starshade was born."

"There have been eight Starshades. The first was destroyed by her own power when she attacked the Shifters and eradicated hundreds upon hundreds of their kind with her own will and might, and so on and so forth. But each time, the Shfiter's numbers dwindle still more. It may take only one more Starshade. Then, she Shifters may be gone from our world at last."

"The only problem is this -the Shifters have discovered a dark power that drives them mad, and they shattered the eigth's Starshade's power into four peices. Four gems. One is Keitsumah's necklace, and another is the dagger you see Ardoway holding. I do not know where the other two are, and i fear that unless we find them, our race has no hope left." Gunthran finished. The fire crackled as a log split, and he looked forlornly at it, his face cast in shadow.

"The eighth Starshade was the last once before Keitsumah was found. I came to posess the dagger when i found it buried near the river, and when Ardoway found Keitsumah beneath the pines, the necklace was about her wrist. I do not know if these are signs that powr is shifting again in this world, but Keitsumah continues ot show sighns of an otherworldly power, no matter how faint."

"I beleive that she may be the next Starshade."

9. Dontaru

Dontaru New Member

Dontaru; The Inn

A buff, shadowed figure walked into the small shady-looking inn. Dontaru seated himself at a table and glanced expectantly at the innkeeper after placing a coin on the table.

Hopefully they have something to drink here. he thought.

10. Keitsumah

Gunthran; The Inn

Gunthran amicably went behind the counter and the newcomer soon had his drink. But his attention was on Ardoway, who was twirling the dagger and looking up at the ceiling towards the room Keitsumah had disappeared to.

"The Shifters are here. We must defend our home." the young man said darkly, his silver eyes blazing copper in the firelight. Catching the glowing violet dagger with one hand, he looked at everyone in the room.

"Who is with me?"

11. Macaberz

Macaberz Pay it forward Contributor

Just that very moment Tim came tip toeing downstairs. He was still cold from his fever but looked much healthier already. His mouth was stuck open in a gasp and he cowered behind the bannister in fear of having interrupted something important. The last thing he wanted to do right now was offend the very person who had taken care of him, Gunthran.

Rafael's eye went over to the boy and he poked Ardoway in his side to warn him of the boy's presence. He was about to wonder aloud what the mere child was doing inside an inn all by himself when the reality of the young man's word sank in. Shifters! That was bad news, very bad indeed.

"How many? Rafael inquired. "Shifters, I mean, how many shifters?" Rafael elaborated.

12. Keitsumah

Gunthran; The inn

"I don' know. But fro how many I've seen a'fore . . . maybe ten to two dozen-" Gunthran cut off and went pale.

"Two dozen what?" Keitsumah queried, peeking between the bars behind Tim. Ardoway's bow was slung over her shoulder and she eyed her sibling, the necklace glowing faintly before settling into its normal rhythm again.

"Shifters, Keitsumah. We think . . . we think the village may be attacked soon." Ardoway answered, and the girl looked sick at the thought.