Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

The Story Behind Martin Luther King Jr's Dream Speech

Discussion in 'Debate Room' started by GingerCoffee, Jan 21, 2014.

This could have gone in a book discussion thread but there's more than just the book here. And I didn't really want this in the debate room, it's more of a, "I found this cool thing" thread but I suppose there are politics and such that are bound to arise from the discussion.

I watched this on CSPAN this morning and there was a lot of insight worth sharing in the program. It's free to watch online; it is an hour or so.

"The Speech: The Story Behind Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s Dream" by Gary Younge

What I found most fascinating was the real time example of re-writing history (in this case MLK history) to create an image that is far from the real MLK and what his speech was about.

Rosa Parks is mentioned too. Interestingly the court case that resulted in desegregating the bus seating did not include Parks as a plaintiff. One of the plaintiffs was a pregnant unwed teenager, not someone with as useful of an image as Parks, the tired hard working woman.

They noted that despite viewing Parks as a hero, she was barely noticed when she spoke out against retaliating after the 911 attack. No one remembers.

Distorting history plays a role in my novel. It's an example of the meaning of the "1984" party slogan quote, "Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.