1. AnDay

AnDay New Member

Fiction/Science Fiction Authors

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by AnDay, Apr 29, 2009.

Hi.
    I am a huge fan of fiction and science fiction. I love Edgar Rice Burroughs, Robert E. Howard, and Philip Jose Farmer. I have been looking into S.M. Stirling's work as well. If you know of any other great Authors please let me know. Thanks.

2. Welsh Wizard

Welsh Wizard Banned

Have you ever read anything by Roger Zelazny?

He created a world called Amber, ruled (initially) by nine princes. Each prince has a pack of cards, or 'trumps'. Each card depicts another family member, or location. By looking into the trump, any of the royal blood lineage of Amber can 'step through' the card into wherever the card may lead.

That's a sort of nice ability to have - but it gets better. Amber is the one, true reality. Earth exists, but as a 'shadow' - a word to describe any place or world that is not Amber. The princes of Amber can manipulate shadow. It takes effort and the further away they want to get from Amber itself, the harder it is, but it is possible.

The first book details the adventures of Prince Corwin who initially does not know who he is. He wakes up on Earth, in a hospital, with amnesia. The story is compelling and captivates you from the first page as you discover who he really is, who attempted to imprison him on Earth, and how he eventually tries to find his way back to Amber...

The story has elements of both fantasy and science fiction. Nine Princes In Amber was originally published in 1970 and it's ideas have filtered into many subsequent novels by other authors, and also served as inspiration for 'alternate reality' style films.

Other science fiction authors I have enjoyed over the years are Arthur C Clarke (Rendezvous With Rama is definitely worth a read), Robert Heinlein, Ray Bradbury and Harry Harrison.

3. AnDay

AnDay New Member

Thanks. I will be sure to look into it. :)

So I found out a little bit ago that they are making a movie trilogy on Edgar Rice Burroughs' John Carter of Mars. I am totally stoked and can't wait to see what the film is going to be like. However, I read pixar got a hold of the film and they will be filming this epic story. This kind of disapoints me seeing how pixar is a family friendly company, John Carter of Mars not really being so. I do know they wont be turning it into a full animated film though, there will be live action as well, almost like lord of the rings. (I sound like a star wars nerd) :cool: I kind of look at it for pixar to open a new genre for themselves though. **It gives me hope** However, we all know they wont be as good as the mind blowing novels.

Just felt like letting everyone know. I absolutley LOVE the Mars series. :D