1. TheSpiderJoe

TheSpiderJoe Senior Member

The Synopsis is killing me...!

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by TheSpiderJoe, Apr 16, 2011.

I've been trying to write a 2-page synopsis for my novel and I can't seem to get the thing under 2.5 pages (single spaced).

I'm not sure why its driving me nuts. I've been shortening sentences, removing unnecessary detail but when some of those changes are done, the flow seems to be messed up and I can't for the life of me find a way to balance it out.

This is what I get for having too many plot elements. I'm really paying for it now. :(

2. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributing Member Contributor

forget the plot - focus on the story. Describe your main antagonist and protagonist, and main conflict only. Work on writing a one sentence hook, synopsis for it.

For Example my first two are:
    Someone Else's Life chronicles the rise of the seventeen-year-old, PRINCE ANGUS LORENZO, from scruffy, rebellious teenager to wise young king.

The very existence of Socrates' Children is tearing apart the fabric of the universe; it is his responsibility to complete a heartbreaking task to repair the damage.

Once you have the sentence it is easier to work out the main story and tell that ignoring all the other plot elements. Only adding in necessary characters and events.

3. JMTweedie

JMTweedie Senior Member

I agree with Elgaisma's advice.

I get my main storyline sorted first. I've been reading up on what publishers want most, story line should be a single sentence with only the main character (two at the most) mentioned. Ideally shouldn't contain character names unless it has a real historical figure. What is your story in a nutshell?

E.g.

'A single mother fights for justice following the death of her son'.

4. Trilby

Trilby Contributing Member Contributor

I agree with both Elgaisma and JMTweedie.

Forget all the separate plots and focus on the main theme of the story.