The Tarnished City (Discussion)

Discussion in 'Role Play Discussion' started by halisme, Oct 29, 2015.

1. Inks

Inks Senior Member

Is the camp they had within the walls or outside? I am under the impression that it lies outside the city.

2. halisme

halisme Contributor Contributor

I interpreted as them camping inside they city, as that's what Marcus said they would do.

3. Inks

Inks Senior Member

"Mixine... or Mix... or whatever it was called went to its knees, like something begging for forgiveness."....

Wait what? Mix is no where near Marcus or the others now. He left and basically ran as fast as he could when Acai blew up the dirt pile, the confusion hoping to aid him slipping away as fast and quietly as possible from the others. With the exception of purposefully giving parting words to Jade.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
  4. BrandonrockstheAM

BrandonrockstheAM Active Member

...I need to read more carefully. I had skipped over your previous post, sorry about that. I'll fix it.

5. Inks

Inks Senior Member

No worries. I am glad that Mix/Mixine are so simple in comparison to my regular WIP characters. Not sure why, but the lack of a setting defined in absolutes is freeing to explore some different options and see if other people like or adopt certain flows or fun ideas. The blue text for the Brackenmarsh tongue being a good visual signifier that I might use to differentiate the six spoken languages my WIP. Does the italics for thought-conversations between Mix and Mixine work for everyone?

Lastly, forgive me for not putting the lyrics of the song into the text, the post was long enough. Though I hope to use it later on since Halisme is using song. Also, this sensory deprivation is getting me to chomp at the bit, so awkward to not have this in real-time as I am used to. This is however very fun since I only used to get a few hours for a persistent setting and it usually had to balance it with other time commitments between friends.

6. Inks

Inks Senior Member

Well, Mix is going to have to thank Merrique for being the guinea pig after all. He believes he completely understands how they negate magic and seal it. So letting this Rundas get close would be incredibly bad for Mix.

Note that the four poles of Mixine are now down to two, but this means no field projection or bi-directional attacks. This was what she was planning to protect Duke Selzec and to paralyze everyone after attacking Vetiver. Though Mix is also limited to the number of active shots, but he is completely different in terms of thought process.

Important OOC knowledge: Mix is expecting Rundas to be able to read the flow of magical energy and Mix is going to be deceptive in the flow since the true power Mix has is electrical. The reasoning is simple, cutting out the magical power does not mean that the electric potential can be sensed. By combining both, Mix intends the first shot to gauge the actual ability of Rundas to detect the magic before making a real attack and dumping everything in the third. It is not like reloading a physical bow, but this is the stance Mix/Mixine uses for hunting game.

7. BrandonrockstheAM

This is taking place in the front portion of the city, in the courtyard, right? Marcus and the others can't tell what's going on just yet?

8. Inks

Inks Senior Member

Considering Relatus's quarters are a mile and a half long, I would assume so because Mix took off at essentially a full run to purposely escape from the others right after Acai's explosion. From the square, Mix then headed for the exit to the city which is beyond the camp from the morning. By all means, Mix is alone and beyond immediate help even if Mix causes a considerable racket. That is if anyone could hear then track Mix.

Mix has abandoned the others because Merrique's words are actually true, she refused Mix's power and Mixine really does consider magic to be some form of a curse. Without any need to stay, Mix attempted to leave for a few reasons - one of which he does not want to reveal to Mixine.

Though your group certainly will have fun with that monster thing.

9. halisme

Mix is back at the city entrance, everyone else is in Relatus's quarter. I thought it'd be easier to the two sections at the same time, despite there being a 10 to 20 minuet walk between the spots. So I suppose Mix's section is also a bit latter in time as well. It just made sense to do them instead of having mix wait and then have the rest of you wait, assuming you meet up again.

10. Domino355

Domino355 Senior Member

Hey, sorry for that extremely long post, I needed to explain why Jade had suddenly disappeared (real reason, busy couple of days)
    Now, to explain the shadow, he is this being, that comunicates with Jade through her shadow. She doesn't really know who she is, or what he wants. He was the one who helped her escape the Brakenmarsh and taught her to use her powers. His "favors" are strong surges of power (Jade's magic is quite weak compared to the others. With these surges, she is able to rival Merrique or Vetiver). Each favor comes at a price, which I am sure @halisme will enjoy deciding.
    Lastly on why Jade attacked. It's not that she suddenly became a hero, she is just in the open, where she's vulnerable, and believes in a "first shot first kill" approach.

11. Inks

Inks Senior Member

Yes, for all purposes in time, it is probably closer to 2:15-2:45 pm for Mix and Rundas versus the 1:30-2:00pm for the others because Mix decided to run off. This means that Mix even if he were to run back to the others may not actually encounter them, much less participate in a short battle. Rundas commenting about 'friends' is funny to Mix for it confirmed Mixine's paranoia.

Also, sensing a pattern here. Mages of the Brackenmarsh hide in the shadows and away from the world. Abandonment of normal relationships and trust, skeptical of others even while being outsiders in foreign lands...

12. halisme

I'm just going to ask, does anyone having thing that they didn't put in their character descriptions that they want to tell me now. With how much is coming up I'm almost expecting someone to secretly be a bear.

13. Inks

Inks Senior Member

Is it okay to just PM you the rest? I think since Mix is actually going to fight then I need to find away to either make MS paint something up to provide a better representation - my artwork is atrocious since I have only practiced for a few hours several months ago. Perhaps at least to explain to the internal structure of Mixine's pack, cloak and weak points since the front and back packs prevent her from assuming normal positions (like in archery).

14. Bewitched

Bewitched Banned

Lol, @halisme. I've said everything about Vetiver in my template. I was a little confused when Jade's shadow started talking to her when Vetiver couldn't have a spirit familiar...

15. halisme

Sure, just send it over.

16. halisme

By the way, I am not secretly a bear.

17. Domino355

Domino355 Senior Member

wait, but isn't Vetivers snake a spirit familiar? And, sorry @halisme, no more surprises

18. Domino355

Domino355 Senior Member

by the way, not such a smart idea to start firing at the creature from up front, while Jade attacks it from behind. I mean, soldiers die in wars that way

19. halisme

I have also edited my avatar to reflect that I am not a bear.

20. Bewitched

Bewitched Banned

No, Xibalba is a boa constrictor that Vetiver can telepathically communicate with, he can also communicate with any animal. A spirit familiar would actually be a spirit and maybe have some powers, which is what I initially planned for it to be, but I downgraded it to a snake pet because of Halisme's critique, which I totally understood...and I'm not bitter about it, really...I just find it weird that Jade basically made up a shadow familiar half-way through the story.

Blah, I'm over it.

21. halisme

One tip for when/if you get your fantasy pirate RP started. Add a small section to the character sheet say "stuff the GM needs to check but you don't want other players to know". At this point I've given up trying to stop it and have settled on destroying the characters psychologically.

22. Domino355

Domino355 Senior Member

sorry. Yeah it was kinda an idea that sprung halfway into the story, should have mentioned it. If it's any consolation it is less of a familiar, more like a guide, who is actually, more a complexion in Jade's life. Think of it more like the Rumplestiltskin of her story. He wants something from her, and she has no idea what.

23. Inks

Inks Senior Member

The bit with Mixine was hinted at from the very beginning, but I was not sure if I was going to use him unless Mixine came under extreme stress. Though it should be obvious from the biography I gave that Mixine is concealing her entire identity though a few other parts are going to be Halisme-only because without a source of good water a critical part of Mix's care of Mixine is gone. There has been a lot going on inside that head of hers and I really only think Halisme has it figured out.

Also... If you half-sprung that for kicks, why not just edit it out instead of using it as a way to cover IRL time delays? RP-wise, I did not even know normal procedure for Halisme (posting a bio in PM first) nor did I assume that if a GM is playing with us that non-combat related reveals were going to be an issue. Things can be changed at this point without affecting everyone too much - so... guess it is Halisme's call.

Mixine is also by far the simplest character I've ever RPed because I got all itchy about stepping on Halisme's setting when I had no idea of what was fine or not. Since I needed a fall back, I put a reference in the biography which I banged out in like 20 minutes as a crude "what-if" from a character in my WIP without magic or a split personality. Mix was present two weeks prior to the actual reveal by a simple little line about the other personality in the mask insulting her until it left her hands. Though I hope the other clues along the path were equally decent.... if not totally obvious in hindsight.

24. BrandonrockstheAM

Did I get the description of the scorpion-centaur right? I'm imagining a scorpion's body, but with a centaur/human torso with arms popping up out of the front of it, with a stinger at the back.

25. halisme

Yep.