1. Rick n Morty

Rick n Morty Active Member

Calvin sums it up perfectly

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Rick n Morty, Oct 15, 2016.

Not sure if this is the right subforum, so please move it to the correct one if it isn't.

This Calvin and Hobbes comic describes the experience I often have on this site surprisingly well. And I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way.

[​IMG]

EDIT: I should note that this doesn't always refer to this site specifically. It can refer to a lot of things. Like Calvin said, sometimes it feels like people in general are trying to mess with my creativity.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
    Kinzvlle, jannert and Fawky like this.
  2. Spencer1990

Spencer1990 Contributor Contributor

You may not be the only one who feels that way, but let me let you in on a little secret.

You get to choose how you let other people's opinions affect you.

That means you get to filter the information you receive. If this site is such a burden for you, stop coming here. Certainly, if it creates so much stress, you're a smart enough kid to find a way to make it less stressful. It's not the forum member's job to make sure your feelings don't get hurt when you ask questions. That is YOUR job.

If the feedback you receive gets you so worked up, stop asking for it.

This may sound harsh, and I'm okay with that, but you have to understand this is coming from a good place. Learn to manage your emotions; learn to understand that YOUR feelings are YOUR OWN, not a result of the way other people react to your questions and threads.

BayView likes this.
  3. Rick n Morty

I don't hate this site. I sometimes get good advice here, and there are some very friendly users who agree that creativity deserves more freedom.

I just hate it when the not-so-nice users say "Your characters have superficial similarities to the cast of Zootopia, thus making your work a ripoff of Zootopia", or that kind of thing.

4. izzybot

izzybot (unspecified) Contributor

There's an ignore function.

BayView likes this.
  5. Spencer1990

It seems like you may not have understood my post.

What I meant was: Even if someone says something shitty, it's your job to filter that information and not get upset about it. If you can't do that, the internet might not be a good place for you. It is not the jobs of other forum members to cater to your personal emotional needs.

When someone tells you, "Your characters have superficial similarities to the cast of Zootopia, thus making your work a ripoff of Zootopia", it is not that person's fault if you become upset. It is your responsibility to accept or reject the notions/opinions of others. That never changes...internet or otherwise. If you can't understand that someone's opinion (which is different from your own) is NOT a personal attack on you, then you're going to have a rough go of life.

Komposten and BayView like this.
  6. Rick n Morty

So what you're saying is, these are just opinions and not the absolute fact, and I don't have to take them to heart if I don't want to?

Simpson17866 likes this.
  7. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Contributor Contributor

I try to convince myself to see the rules, grades, and deadlines as a challenge whenever possible (though sometimes it's easier than other times).
    Only if you agree with him ;)

Spencer1990 likes this.
  8. Spencer1990

You don't have to take anything to heart unless you want to. Like @Simpson17866 pointed out, you don't have to buy into what I'm saying. And guess what? That's okay. You don't have to. It's not going to bother me one bit if you say I'm full of shit. Accept what you want; reject what you don't want. But it's erroneous to believe that other people are responsible for your feelings. People can only influence you as much as you let them.

9. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

If you don't want people's opinions, stop asking for their opinions.

If you ask for their opinions, stop complaining about the opinions they give you.

Seriously, people are taking time out of their day to give you what you say you want, and then you bitch about it. That's not cool.

10. Rick n Morty

Did you even read my replies?

11. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

Yup. I've read most if not all of your posts. My response isn't based just on this thread.

12. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Exactly. Opinions are just that, opinions. You don't have to listen to them if you don't want to. Someone could tell me, "How arrogant of you to write stories set in America with white, cisgendered, heterosexual males" but I don't have to listen to them. Someone could tell me, "Dude, this character reminds me of xyz character from another fiction entirely" and I don't have to listen to them.

They're just opinions. They're not a personal attack on you, even if it feels that way. As @Spencer1990 said, it's our own job to filter out what we do or don't want to hear. We are the commander of our own emotions and feelings.

13. Lea`Brooks

Lea`Brooks Contributor Contributor

I would just like to say... I'm proud that all this drama is going on and I have nothing to do with it. :D

14. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

It's not too late!

15. Rick n Morty

I'm outta this thread.

16. Spencer1990

I can't think of one thread you've posted that didn't result in you upset. This is not a jab, an observation, rather.

The term common denominator comes to mind.

Iain Aschendale and BayView like this.
  17. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Get your furry ass back in here! >:[ Did anyone here insult you directly or call your ideas lame? From where I'm standing, they simply stated that you are in charge of your own emotions and thoughts...something I believe very strongly. At the end of the day, you should write what you feel is right. Keep an open mind, consider other opinions, but write what you feel is right. Look at me for instance. I wanted to write about a character with dystonia, yet after research and talking with someone with dystonia, they told me the plot I intended for this character would simply not do the character or the condition justice. Now I can accept it or reject it, but I know they weren't trying to insult me directly; they weren't trying to make a personal attack on me as a human.

Rick, not every opinion is a personal attack on you or your story. I hope you realize we're not trying to hurt you. We're just trying to help you.

BayView likes this.
  18. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

...Why? What is so offensive about the idea that people don't have to edit their opinions to please you, AND you don't have to change your writing to please them?

Opinions are a buffet. You look it over, you take what you want, you leave the rest. If what you took gives you indigestion, then next time you take something else.

izzybot and BayView like this.
  19. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Calvin and Hobbes! :)

Miller0700 and BayView like this.
  20. Kingtype

Kingtype Banned Contributor

I'll take your Calvin and Hobbes, but my counter shall be the Farside.

[​IMG]

21. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Ha ha! I LOVE The Far Side as well. I love good (funny) cartoons, full stop. Fond memories of reading the 'funny papers' as a child, every Sunday.

Cave Troll likes this.
  22. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Opinions have two sides. Unfortunately they just so happen to look the same at both ends.
    One side is good, the other is not so much. You just need to determine which is which.
    :supergrin:
    Dildo.jpg

And if all else fails, it will be the blunt instrument used to beat you into a better understanding
    of 'useful words, and nit picky nonsense'. It will be painful, but whatever happens take it with
    a smile.
    :superlaugh::superlaugh::superlaugh: