1. Oasis Writer

Oasis Writer Contributor Contributor

Oasis Productions

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Oasis Writer, Jun 9, 2008.

Recently, I have been getting PM's like crazy asking me questions about how I prepare my stories, how I organize the details, and well, how to be a productive Game Master. I have began to notice that sometimes, guides aren't good enough. You need to interact to get your answers. Communication: one of my favorite things in the world. While I love helping people out, I've noticed I'm starting to miss messages because I have to empty out my PM box several times a day (four times today in the past 12 hours).

That's why I've created (sure, why not) Oasis Productions. It's a completely fake corp. that I have created to helping people with their stories, helping new members that have never roleplayed before, and trying to make a good story for those that are afraid to jump the boat by themselves.

Here, you can ask me, and everyone that is willing to help, anything you please that relates to Roleplaying, whether it's about:

• Making the game
    • Plot
    • Storyline
    • Character Datasheets
    • Good ratios for powers
    • Point systems
    • Communication
    • Coding Games (vBulletin mumbo-jumbo)
    • Settings
    • Timelines
    • How to respond
    • Appropriate Roleplaying
    • Etcetera
    I will also help people (if they want or need):
    • Develop the story
    • Organize
    • Game-mastering or admit games
    • Etcetera
    This thread can also consist of any story that has already been made that people had questions about, whether it was about things that has happened within the story, how it was created, thoughts, concerns, and everything in-between.

This is a safe haven for people that do not know what to do, or just have questions. Anyone can answer questions, and can help where is needed. First time Roleplayers and first time Game Masters are very welcome.

If you have an idea that you want me to help you with, you may post it here, or PM it to me - but let's refrain from PM if not needed, because I go through that box too quickly, like I said.

If your story you have created is impeccable, and you want my help in the story, more than what I am willing to do here, I may assist you further, under and as Oasis Productions. :)

Since my name is in the company, and since it's just starting out, stocks aren't that great. :p Buy while it's low, because it might get higher. If it crashes, I'll tell you.

If I can not help, I will point you in the direction that best suits the question asked.

~~~​

Oasis Production Studio
    CEO: Oasis Writer
    President: Titania

Oasis Productions

Game Master: Oasis Writer
    Production Crew: Oasis Writer, Darkthought
    Developmental Storyline Crew: Oasis Writer, Terra Valentine, Darkthought, Titania
    Map Creator: Icarus, Oasis Writer
    Original Story: Oasis Writer
    Writers: Oasis Writer, Terra Valentine, Darkthought, Bick, Milady, chad.sims2, Titania, Leaka, thelastblueberry, Kratos, Neha, Ferret, Sugar N. Spice

Production Crew: Oasis Writer, Terra Valentine
    Developmental Storyline Crew: Oasis Writer, Terra Valentine, Rumpole40k
    Map Creator: George Lucas
    Original Story: George Lucas
    Writers: Oasis Writer, Terra Valentine, Charisma, Darkthought, Rumpole40k, Bick, Sugar N. Spice, Titania, Leaka, thelastblueberry, Kratos, Mousie, Boredskater0, Talos141

Production Crew: Oasis Writer, Titania
    Developmental Storyline Crew: Oasis Writer, Titania, Darkthought
    Map Creator: Oasis Writer, Titania
    Original Story: Michael Crichton
    Writers: Oasis Writer, Titania, Bick, Mousie, chad.sims2, Charisma, Kratos, Terra Valentine, Darkthought, soujiroseta, Aurora_Black, LibbyAnn, Rumpole40k, Klee

Game Master: Darkthought
    Production Crew: Darkthought
    Developmental Storyline Crew: Darkthought
    Map Creator: Darkthought, Japan
    Original Story: Darkthought
    Writers: Darkthought, Oasis Writer, Bick, Klee, Kratos, soujiroseta

2. Darkthought

Darkthought Active Member

I'll buy some stock lol

3. Oasis Writer

It's a cent to buy one share, so....by my calculations....we should be going up, up, up :p

4. Rumpole40k

Rumpole40k Banned

I made developmental storyline crew! When do the business cards arrive?

5. Oasis Writer

They're in the mail, with the check. :) You guys have done a lot more than you think.

6. Mousie

Mousie New Member

Can I has a stock? :redface:

7. Oasis Writer

Penny a share :p

Like I said :) Any questions on any RPG can go in here and I'll do my best.

8. Mousie

Mousie New Member

I'll take half a dozen :D

Hey, how do you avoid one-liners? Like, if there's absolutely nothing your character can do besides answer another character's question? Do you just describe a buncha little actions that don't really matter? Like, say how they looked around and scratched their head and blinked their eyes as they answered?

9. Darkthought

Darkthought Active Member

That is what I do. I usually try to pack my characters full of peculiar mannerisms that they would end up doing all the time anyway. That way it doesn't seem unnatural for them. Also, describing the scenery is a good space filler.

10. Oasis Writer

Avoiding One Liners -

This is a very hard thing to do, and is done a lot through many RPGs. I, personally, ask that no one does it. I know for instance, Raven has banned it from a few of his own RPG's as well. The way to avoid this kind of situation can be done through multiple directions. You can use the method of describing every trite thing they do, from blinking, to thinking about flatulating. The better way to do it is to communicate with the character, or characters, you are around.

Instead of just directing one question at the person, why not get on MSN, Yahoo, AIM, Myspace, Facebook, PM, VM, the Discussion thread, or any other crazy program, and talk with each other in Roleplay mode. Answer several quick questions and progress the story much further.

One-liners rarely progress the story at all, and can be very agravating if you have to post next, and you have nothing to work with.

11. Mousie

Mousie New Member

Okey-dokey!

Um, since no one else is asking any questions...

Does the Star Wars roleplay move really slow? Or did it just die?

12. Oasis Writer

Right now, it's hit a slow time. In the past ten days, it's got up 71 posts, which is a lot, considering the game is very content heavy. Right now, a lot of people are falling into "Having to work around it because of work|summer|school" thing, but it's not only the Star Wars game. Other games are slowing down for the same reason.

13. Mousie

Mousie New Member

Aw :(

When's Jurassic Park gonna start?

14. Oasis Writer

The 20th of June, unless I release it early.

15. Mousie

Mousie New Member

wh00!

16. Bick

Bick New Member

One thing I've always wondered, how do you deal with all the non-playable characters you have to handle in Star Wars? I mean they're all different people, how do you handle that?

17. Oasis Writer

I fall in character very easily. :) Personally, I take it as a writing challenge. The first thing I think about is what it will take to make a story that will be unforgettable. Second, I find the roles I need covered, and how I want to cover them. Sometimes, they're simple roles, and I don't fill them, allowing other characters to take charge, such as the Bounty Hunters - you, and Mercenaries - whomever would want to. When it came to the other roles, like Grand Master, and Dark Lord, I needed to make sure that their was control. Since I have some extremely powerful Sith Lords and Jedi Masters in the game, I needed to make sure that they weren't playing God.

This right here is a Cardinal Rule for Roleplaying: Controlled Chaos instead of Complete Chaos.

I like to think that instead of just being one almighty character that can do whatever he wants, control EVERY single character, good or bad, and still have a valuable story, I break it up to sides. Aaron (my character) would not be able to control C'Tzr (Rumpole40K's character) because we are not in the same Order. C'Tzr would throttle me, storyline wise.

So, be using controlled chaos, I made a character that could stop him, if needed.

If you care a lot about your RPG, you'll look for ways to make sure you have no plot holes. Good RPG's can be written by anyone, no-named or named, but they will not be good if they don't have someone that cares for it and is making sure the storyline is always progressing, has a gripping plot, an impeccable twist, and a stellar ending.

Just like a book :)

18. Oasis Writer

Oasis Productions has produced it's first game, unrelated to myself. :) YAY! Stocks gone up :p

Sword of Vengeance

19. Gloom Kitty

Gloom Kitty Banned

in a little cage in the bowls of Cephalid
    Why didn't I see this when I started on Hell on high water I seriously floped as a GM I have another event in mind however I could use a little help when the time comes. Could you help me with the story and other things Oasis?

20. Oasis Writer

Of course :) I'll help as much as possible.

21. Gloom Kitty

Gloom Kitty Banned

Great when I've got my stuff together I shall show it to you :-D

22. Oasis Writer

Not a problem :) hehe - I may slip my name in there for helping :p

23. Gloom Kitty

Gloom Kitty Banned

And you are far more then welcome too :-D

24. Oasis Writer

If you need any other help, or have questions, feel free to ask myself. I can help get ya organized. :)

25. Boredskater0

Boredskater0 New Member

well as a new writer, i would like to know how to sneak into other people's story liens without becoming a problem

:)