1. dbesim

dbesim Contributing Member

The UK Since Brexit

Discussion in 'Debate Room' started by dbesim, Oct 6, 2016.

Is the debate over Brexit still taking place? Now that the UK's political and economical climate is changing, I wonder what people within this forum's think. Let me know if this debate is taking place on another thread ( think the other one's closed.)

What do people think about what's been happening in the UK since Brexit? Are remain supporters still fear-mongering? Are there any Brexit voters or remain voters who've changed their mind?

My personal experience:
    (remain voter)
    I've been abroad recently and realised that the value of the pound has gone from 0.71p per euro to 0.88p per euro. This is a high inflation, and means we can buy a lot less from abroad than before. At home, supermarkets are trying not to put prices up because of the competition between them but prices of imported goods is predicted to rise. Living in the UK, I recently got a letter from my bank telling me that interest rates are going down (not just a little bit but a lot). This means less value of interest on people's savings. I'm certainly realising the pinch.

2. Robert Musil

Robert Musil Contributing Member

I saw something going around Twitter today about how schools are now requiring parents to inform them if their kids were born outside the UK? Or have non-UK nationality, or something like that. And I thought I heard that employers were requiring non-UK-born employees to report the same information.

Is that actually happening? Seems awfully ominous, to me, if it's true.

3. psychotick

psychotick Contributing Member Contributor

Hi,

Speaking as a Kiwi it's too soon to say where this is going to end. Yes the pound has dropped roughly twenty percent since the vote, racist attacks are up and prices of imported goods are rising - it was inevitable when the value of the pound dropped. But all this is based on nothing but a bit of fear and shock. The Brexit has not happened and will not happen for another two and a half years by my estimate.

The next shock and drop in the value of the pound will likely come when article 50 is enacted, but I don't expect it to be as severe as the first shock.

It's when the negotiations start taking place and Britain finds itself faced with a stark choice - restrict immigration or stay in the Common Market that all hell breaks loose. The free movement of people is one of the four pillars of the EU and they aren't going to drop it for the UK, especially not when they're angry for what Britain has done. If Britain stays in the Common Market the damage to follow will be minimum. If Britain chooses to leave, they can kiss goodbye to their economy for twenty years. The EU is fifty percent of their exports.

Cheers, Greg.

4. NigeTheHat

NigeTheHat Contributing Member Contributor

It was a train-wreck then, it's a train-wreck now and it'll be a train-wreck in the future.

I'm not massively worried by the drop in the pound. It gives and it takes away. If we actually had the manufacturing sector that people keep saying it'll benefit, it might even be a net plus. But we don't. That was in the 80s, and time's moved on, because that's how time works.

I'm rather more worried that we seem to be falling on the 'restrict immigration' side of the fence than the 'stay in the single market' one. Quite aside from the economic problems, pandering to nationalism never ends well.

Yeah, that's happening. Not sure what the thinking is behind it, stated or otherwise, but it's definitely a thing.

Robert Musil likes this.
  5. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

That's actually quite worrisome. Why would it matter if someone were born outside of the UK?

6. dbesim

dbesim Contributing Member

There's also an issue on Human Rights which is a Bill introduced by the European Convention. This is an important Act that stops people in power from taking ordinary people for granted by extreme right-wingers. They don't like it because it gets in their way of doing what they like and abusing our rights. I'd recommend this book if you wanted to know more about the HR issue (you get a sneak preview of the book here:)

On Fantasy Island: Britain, Europe, and Human Rights
    By Conor Gearty (a HR professor)

It's really interesting and very well told.

7. big soft moose

big soft moose Active Member

The first half is true but scaremongered on social media - schools have long had to report how many students they have who don't speak english as their first language in order to qualify for extra govt funding to meet that need.

Likewise he second half is mostly true and is to do with employers demonstrating they aren't employing illegal immigrants etc

Both of these policies were in place well before the brexit referendum

End of the day the racism and paranoia we are seeing at the moment is a tiny minority of idiots (Britain first etc) jumping on the anti eu band wagon and using it as a soap box , but equally we are also seeing a good deal of "the end is nigh" cobblers being spouted from the left as well.

8. NigeTheHat

NigeTheHat Contributing Member Contributor

I'm not sure about the schools thing, but the employers one was definitely a new idea.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37561035

Employers have had to have proof that the people they were employing had the right to work in the UK for ages, but this disclosure was, I think, about any foreign-born workers, whether they had the right to work here or not.