The Upgrade

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Daniel, Sep 7, 2011.

1. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i'm still experiencing a 'slide-off' sometimes, when i'm writing more than a short post... the text slides down and away from me, so i can't see where the cursor is and i have to fiddle around a lot to finish typing...

i know that's not a very accurate description of what takes place, but is the best i can do... is anything like this happening to anyone else?...

and has anyone any idea why it happens?

2. the1

the1 Active Member

I am not exactly sure what it is you are describing. I am not experiencing any text 'sliding' away

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

As the page continues to load, it has to adjust positioning of page elements up and down until everything is loaded.

It can be tweaked away by entering the sizes of elements into certain of the HTML elements, so the space reserved matches the size of what is getting loaded. But it is very time-intensive unless you are using an HTML editor that inserts those sizes automatically. It's probably due to the theme customization Daniel did.

By the way, the font on the current version on the theme is pretty small, and hard to look at for lengthy periods.

4. the1

the1 Active Member

A minority of users have mentioned the size of the font to be of issue.

I don't feel it is too small. I think it is actually quite a good size. :)

5. mammamaia

that slipping only happens after i've read the posts and been typing a response for a while, so wouldn't the page be loaded by then, cog?

6. mammamaia

for the past couple of days i've been getting this...

...when i try to go to a page... it's been happening 50% of the time and today even more often... i tried ten times to go to the 'suggestions' section and just kept getting that message page!... so i had to report it here, instead... HELP!!!

7. dave_c

dave_c Active Member

lol, i think you should all jump onto linux ubuntu, i have no problems with the site what so ever on any of my three machines :D

8. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

That may be a function of when you are on, Dave. I have little trouble during low traffic times. But during times when a lot of people are on I have all the same issues in linux. It is definitely a server side problem, not people's computers.

9. Snoopingaround

Snoopingaround Banned

Maybe the answer to my question is somewhere else on the forum, but I was wondering why exactly there was a change in the format? Was there some issue existing previously that needed to be fixed, or was it just intended as an overall improvement move?

10. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

The software was upgraded, largely because what we were using was outdated, and security compatibility with it was ending.

11. tristan.n

tristan.n Active Member

Every time I log in, the page says "Invalid Redirect URL." Does anyone else have this issue? And, even though I check the little box to have it remember my username, it never does. Even if I just go to another page for a moment--not closing out of my browser--I have to log back in on here. Is there any way to correct this?

12. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Make sure you are connecting to www.writingforums.org. There are a couple variations on that name, but all will redirect you to exactly that URL. The variations will get you here, but your saved links may be funky, and your cookies won;t work quite right.

13. losthawken

losthawken Author J. Aurel Guay Role Play Moderator Contributor

I just had some trouble logging in, at first I got the "Invalid Redirect URL", then it would accept my password, welcome me but then bring me back to the start page 'un-logged'. The only way I could log in was to select 'Remember me" before submitting my user name and password. Seems like a cookie issue...

14. tristan.n

tristan.n Active Member

Alright I cleared the cookies for this site, and then for a while it said "No data found" when I tried to log in, or "Too many redirect URLs." Then when I tried to post something, it would say "Fatal error" or the page would lose its format and just be a jumble of text. I tried the site on Mozilla Firefox (I usually use Google Chrome, but it's buggy in its own ways), but it gave me the same routine. Today is the first day it's worked without too much hassle, and hopefully it will stay that way! lol

15. mammamaia

still having a lot of trouble getting on the site and then getting around once i finally make it in...

daniel... any hope of finding out why and fixing same soon?

---------- Post added at 04:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:51 AM ----------

still having a lot of trouble just getting on the site and then getting around once i finally make it in...

daniel... any hope of finding out why and fixing same soon?

---------- Post added at 04:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:52 AM ----------

case in point!

message said neither the post nor the edit above could be posted, but there they are...

16. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

Is anyone still experiencing this? I believe it's fixed, but I can't know for sure since I haven't experienced it personally.

Are you still experiencing these two issues? Anyone? I suspect these are fixed but I'm not sure what you're clicking to get to the "unread posts." New posts? What's new? Is anyone else experiencing problems jumping to the latest unread post?

I'm assuming this has been fixed now that the load and database issues have been resolved. Let me know if you're still seeing this issue.

Exactly. New features are just a bonus.

I did experience this a few times with the original/primary upgrade. Since the smaller upgrade a few days ago I haven't noticed this anymore. Are you still experiencing this?

17. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

Thank you all for helping raise the money for the new software and for being patient while I ironed out the kinks. If you're still experiencing bugs or problems please let me know. Also feel free to make suggestions for site improvements.

18. mammamaia

the slide-off seems to have been fixed, thanks... and huzzah!... we got the text options, et al. back in this quick reply box!

so far, today, i got onto the site after only a delay in loading, that i had to override with the 'go to' button on my browser... hopefully, i'll find as i progress through the site on my usual 'rounds' that the other stuff has also been fixed will come back here when i get done, to let you know if it all worked...

thanks for your tireless efforts to make the upgrade work properly, daniel!

love and hugs, maia

19. mammamaia

sad to say 'seems to' was premature... the post i was just writing did the 'sliding' thing again!