1. Hamburgers

Hamburgers New Member

Help with Setting?

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by Hamburgers, Dec 20, 2012.

I'm currently writing a fantasy story, but i need a good setting. Specifically a structure, like a bridge, a tower, etc. The requirements are here:
    1. Tall. Can be the tip of the structure or like an arch. Ex: Arch of the Golden Gate bridge.
    2. The tall points have to be wide enough for two average people to walk on easily without falling.
    3. There must be multiple tall points.
    4. Tall points cannot be too apart. Ex: Golden Gate Bridge, too far.
    5. Must have many beams and ropes intersecting so you can get to the top just by swinging and jumping.
    Ex: Eiffel tower.
    6. Overlooking a port/sea/ river, etc.
    As you can see of my constant use of the Golden Gate Bridge, I've thought of using it, but it wasn't perfect. Please help me if you know a structure that fits this description. I need to use it for a story I am writing and the location is very important.

2. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

I'm confused. If you're writing a fantasy story, and need a modified GG bridge, why not use a modified GG bridge? Do you, for some reason, need it to be a structure that exists in our world today?

3. Hamburgers

Hamburgers New Member

Well, you do have a point, but I kind of don't want to write something in the future. You know? becuase if its modified then that means the story takes place in the future. I don't know, i geuss I just like it to be present. If finding the right location isn't possible, I guess modifying to my needs is an option. Its just, finding something standing and prsent draws me into the imaginary world more when I write, like the story is reality.

4. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

Yeah but it's FANTASY - by definition that does not have to be in the past, present or future. The bridge can be a frigging lion with wings if that's what you want it to be :D

So look at the Golden Bridge to help yourself relate to it, and the rest write it to fit your needs.

Alternatively, why are you not looking at fantasy art? It works wonders in making you feel as though the world is a reality! Or at least it helped inspire me to wanna world-build and write a new fantasy anyway :rolleyes:

5. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

As Mckk points out, changing the GG bridge doesn't necessarily mean your story is in the future. I have no idea what kind of story you're writing or what setting you're using, but the great thing about writing fiction is that you can do whatever you want. If something in the real world doesn't work for your story, you can change it. Obviously, this doesn't work for every scenario involving every story, but for the most part, whatever you need to do to make your story work is okay.

There's also a difference in how specific you're making your setting. If you need to set your story in San Francisco, and SF is an important element to the story, then yeah, you are more limited in how far you can stretch the reality. But if your story is taking place in a city that, rather than being today's SF, is simply in a city that is very much like SF, you have a much greater ability to tinker with SF icons and characteristics.

6. Hamburgers

Hamburgers New Member

I guess so, its just that I kind of want it to relate to reality. I mean, when I have others review it, they might question because the GG bridge is different. I don't know, I guess I'll just take your advice then. Maybe it'll turn out better than I thought. Thanks guys.

7. popsprocket

popsprocket Member

But if you never specifically call it the GG bridge, then how would they know where you drew the inspiration from? As far as they know it's just a bridge with support towers along the length.

8. captain kate

captain kate Senior Member

It's fantasy, like Mckk said. The future can be full of magic, your setting could be an alternative world..there's many ways of doing it. Just because it looks "futuristic" doesn't mean it doesn't fit into fantasy.

9. Flashfire07

Flashfire07 Active Member

How about a hanging garden kind of thing? Lots of plant life to climb up and swing from, lots of walkways to hang from and throw opponents off of, etc. It could be built along the ceiling of a cave or tunnel that serves as access to a coastal city.

10. TheDoctor97

TheDoctor97 New Member

I agree with this. I was thinking an alternate world, for sure. Alternate words generally are very relatable, because they are so close to reality, but fantasy isn't necessarily always close to reality either. People use magic. Sure, there are people who do magic now, but everyday people just walking around town don't. They can't. Magic isn't realistic. It's different. I think it would be okay to make a few other details different as well.

Though I'm not positive that you have magic. If not, then you could probably disregard everything I said. XD Though I do still think that an alternate world would be the best choice.