1. Darkthought

Darkthought Active Member

The Wheel of Time

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Darkthought, May 14, 2008.

Felt like I needed to make this because I didn't notice there being a thread for it yet. The books in this series are by far the best of the genre (excluding Tolkien's work of course) and Mr. Jordan, may he rest in piece, is quite deserving of the honor of being one of the greatest story tellers I know of.

2. Vertz

Vertz New Member

The early books in the series are great. However, they turn slower as they go along. Don't get me wrong -- I love them. I just think that each book contains less of actual importance as you go along. The last few chapters hold most of the action; the rest is just set up.

I'm sad he's gone. We'll get the last book, but it just won't be the same.

3. Darkthought

Its not that they get slower, more like zoomed out. The scope just gets so massive and there ends up being so many plot threads its ridiculous. It does kind of drag at times though. I'm never unhappy when I finish one, so that is saying something.

I heard he left behind about half the written manuscript and numerous recordings on where he wanted the last book to go. I guess he wasn't lying when he said he would keep writing till they nailed his coffin shut.

4. Vertz

Vertz New Member

Truth. That's a much better description of what I'm talking about. I agree about being satisfied with each one finished.
    And yeah, they have someone finishing it. Can't remember his name, but it's somewhere on the website for the series. (I'd check, but my internet is super-slow tonight....) Whoever he is, he's got something huge to finish up. Talk about pressure >_<

5. Titania

Titania New Member

Brandon Sanderson. I definitely don't envy the guy; he's going to have a bunch of WoT fans to answer to if he messes anything up (in their minds) and chances are no matter what he does, someone will complain. It's a lot to live up to.

I'm actually not all that much of a Wheel of Time fan, although I'm thinking of rereading the series here soon, since I haven't read them in a long time and have yet to read Knife of Dreams, which I've heard is good (something actually happens!). I feel like I need to go back and give them all another chance before I read the latest. My main issue was, as Vertz mentioned, the slow pace of in particular the later books. I do admire Jordan's ambition in taking on such a large and sweeping storyline, and I don't remember having any particular complaints with his writing.

6. Kratos

Kratos New Member

I read up until about book 6 or 7, and it got too confusing for me to follow. But the books that I read are among my favorite series of all time, right up their with the Lord of the Rings and a Song of Ice and Fire.

7. Adelaide

Adelaide New Member

I read the first book and part of the second book a few years ago. I remember feeling that it was too close to Lord of the Rings for me to truly enjoy. Maybe if I read it again now I would feel differently. But would you true fans agree there are more similarities than the usual ones all fantasy books share?

8. BrinkofDawn

BrinkofDawn New Member

The Wheel of Time is actually my favorite book series, my second the Shannara series by Terry Brooks.

I've only read up to Lord of Chaos (and I'm actually thinking about rereading them from the first again) but I think the series is great, especially the climax of each book I can actually picture them. My favorite in the series was the Dragon Reborn. I think Jordan sometimes rambles on as he describes some things like an event in the past or the quality of a certain object, but it's really a great series and I'm sad that Jordan died.

I hope the new guy doesn't screw up the last book. What was it called? Memories of Twilight? Did Rand's hand get cut off in Knife of Dreams?

9. Darkthought

It would seem that way at first, but as you progress through the series you begin to see that the only similarity they really share is the fact that it takes place in a massively encompassing world.

As you for you question Brink...I refuse to spoil it for you...and if you really must know, then you have a perfectly fine internet you can look it up on.

10. BrinkofDawn

BrinkofDawn New Member

...ok^^

Yeah the only connection I get with the wheel of time and LOTR is the massive world too. None of the creatures are the same and no one knows what the hell a dragon is but they use them anyways.