The worst dream you've had?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Uberwatch, Oct 4, 2013.

1. joeh1234

joeh1234 Active Member

I have had nightmares from being young, my first memory is a nightmare, I can't remember how old I was maybe 4 or 5, but the dream was this: My uncle lived on our spare room, in it he has a bed and a drawing desk and an IBM Computer. In my dream I walked into the room and I was messing on his drawing desk and then his curtains blew towards my like the window was open and the curtains formed the shape of a person/ghost.
    At 28 years old I still have nightmares more than once a week, all with varying subjects but I always find when I sleep on the couch I consistently get nightmares, when in bed I do get them but not nightly. I often scream in my sleep and my wife has to wake me up.

I read an article which said dreams only become logical and fit together when you wake up, I disagree with this 100% as I had a dream not to long ago where my wife died and I woke up in floods of tears and my pillow was drenched.

Cave Troll likes this.
  2. mashers

mashers Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer

Nowadays I have excellent nightmares about zombies and aliens and sinister goings on. They're great. But I did have one nightmare that was very upsetting. When I was very young (around 6) we had a family dog who died. He'd been around my whole life until that point. Years later when I was a teenager I dreamt about him, but in the dream I knew he had died and I was crying. I woke up actually crying and felt devastated all over again. It was so strange that I dreamt of him after so long and that it had such an impact.

3. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

I used to have nightmares of being chased by one thing or another - wolves, lions, dogs etc - and in many of these dreams I'd try to hide but fail, or other times I'd be running for the exit as it was closing (and obviously not make it - I have this paranoia I'd be trapped) Usually my shortcomings in real life would be my downfall in my dreams - me being short (thus unable to reach certain hiding places or climb high enough etc) and me being slow lol.

But then one time, I was in the middle of one such dream - tigers, this time, roaming this little village I'm in and I'm the only one still outside - everyone else had already hidden themselves. I became very, very annoyed with my dream during my dream and decided, "Enough is enough!" And instead of a tiger finding me as it rounded the corner, I magically found a hole to hide in. Ever since then, I never have these "chase" dreams anymore.

Since having my daughter, though, I've had several nightmares of her dying :( I always feel the need to go stare at her and maybe cuddle her after a dream like that.

4. Sniam

Sniam Member

When I was a kid, I had this recurrent nightmare that happened so often I became indifferent at having it, but that is kind of spooky.

I was in a pyramid with three other people that we are going to call Arthur, Bernard and Clark. Clark was hurt pretty bad and we were looking for an exit. We would arrive at a specific room, with 5 doors opposite of us. Some random voice would say : "Only one can enter and try to open the door." Now, when you are in a dream, you sometimes just know things, people don't have to explain that to you. The rule was "One person enters the room and try to open one of the five doors. Only one door is the correct one. If the door pushed is not the right one, the door to the room will close, the dream will shut down and reset. If the door pushed is the right one, the dream will shut down after the other people enter the room."
    So, Clark would rush on the other side even if we shouted to wait and come back. I think he did that because he knew he was wounded and didn't want our group to suffer any loss. He would always begin with the far left one. Random voice would go "That is not the right door. The door (the one to enter the room) is closed." And then a high pitched scream, and I would wake up. Calm down. And go back to sleep. Exact same scenario would unravel, but that time Clark would go for the second door. Wake up, go back to sleep, repeat.
    The good door would be the 4th or 5th, on which case the voice went "That is the right door. The door is opened." I would wake up one last time, and was finally allowed to go back to sleep. That dream wasn't really horrible in itself (apart for the final scream that made my blood flee from my face), but the fact that it harassed me nights after nights and that I knew I would have to go through it at least 4 times was straining.

That dream followed from 6 to 14 years old, until one night, where it came back. After the first door failed, I decided that this time, I would decide which door would be the good one. I focused on the third, saying to myself that it was the good one, no doubt about that. I basically convinced myself of that concept. When I went back to sleep for the third time, Clark went for the third door and the voice said "That is the right door. The door is opened." I woke up, over-excited. When that thing happens to you for such a long time, it is just such a relief to finally overcome it. I went back to sleep without needing to go through the dream again.

Strangest thing is, since then, I never saw that dream again. It was like, some kind of test that had been put onto me to teach me that I had some control on my dreams.

I.A. By the Barn likes this.
  5. FireWater

FireWater Senior Member

The most disturbing dream I've ever had happened when I was 11 or 12 years old. In the dream, I was walking through a forest in daylight/late afternoon to go to this movie or play that was in a theater on the top of a hill. I got to the theater, but I was early and had to pass the time, so I walked down the other side of the hill and hung around outside. If you can imagine the visual of a lone building at the top of a hill, with a field of tall grass (like a cornfield) at the bottom of the hill and then woods beyond, that's what it looked like.

So while I was waiting for the show, I was hanging around in the field below, and I was standing right at the edge where the grassy field ended and the woods began. All of a sudden, I got this very intense intuitive knowledge that something very, VERY malevolent and sinister, in an inhuman way, was coming for me from within the depths of the woods. I couldn't tangibly see or hear it, but I *knew* it was there. So I turn around and start running as fast as I can back across the field toward the theater. While I'm running, I can sense it gaining on me in the field. It's very, very evil, like something out of a horror movie, and I realize that it's inevitably going to gain on me and get me. Then I woke up.

Also, when I was 21-22 (I'm 24 now) I had a lot of dreams that featured alligators as a symbol of something malevolent. I don't have those dreams anymore, but I used to have them about once every week or two. I'm not afraid of alligators, and I live in an urban metro area where they aren't a risk in my life. But in the dreams, the fear didn't come from the danger of the alligators themselves, but it was more like they were symbolic of something "else." Those dreams always took place in murky settings with dim, shadowy color schemes of brown/green/gray. Usually it was some variation of me walking along a pathway, or a dock, or climbing a tree that overlooks water, and suddenly multiple alligators start slowly creeping in on me, in this predatory and deliberate way.

6. Kingtype

Kingtype Banned Contributor

Ever since my uncle whom was in a lot of ways my father figure and my best friend was killed in a car crash, I constantly have dreams about him. I love that I do. They are great dreams and in a way I feel like its his way of still spending time with me.

But the bad part is when I dream I'm kinda caught between not aware and aware. So when I dream about him, I start to accept that's he's alive again or never died and then when I wake up its always a little harder to face reality and kinda realize he isn't here.

If that makes sense?

It is sorta like a beautiful bad dream.

7. Seraph751

Seraph751 If I fell down the rabbit hole... Contributor

That I couldn't save my kids from being taken away be strange beings right in front of me. (Mamma bear complex)

8. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Have you ever had those dreams that you can physically feel things/interact with people more naturally, and on?

I knew it wasn't real both times I have had this realistic feeling, but still knowing that I am asleep. Just sticking to the one from this morning. I got a shot in the arm, and could feel the needle go in and then get removed. That just creeps me the hell out for something to manifest from mental imagery to physical stimuli. To add to how strange things get, what if it happens in your mind that it will make it real despite not being real? IDK, maybe I am just losing my mind on a different level. Though how can I deny what I felt, not that I could prove it either. Perhaps there is some truth to the power of the mind, and that is kinda scary.

9. esshesse

esshesse Active Member

I woke up and I could not remember dreaming. That was awful!

Cave Troll likes this.