1. mbinks89

mbinks89 Active Member

Selling an Anthology of Novellas?

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by mbinks89, Jul 15, 2013.

I mainly write short stories, and when I feel like something longer, a novella. It turns out, however, that novellas occupy a publishing limbo -- too long for a short story, too short for a novel. Do you think I should try to contact anthology publishers and submit 2-3 novellas for publication? Would this be vastly harder than trying to publish a single novella?

2. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

The only modern writer (I mean a writer who is still alive) who writes mostly collections of novellas is Jim Harrison. He does very well at it, but he's also very good. William Gass has published at least one collection of novellas as well. Back in the day, Joseph Conrad made novellas his specialty, more or less.

It can be done. It helps, though, to be world-class.

3. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

Technically it would be a novella collection, if it's by the same author. But there are some publishers, especially ebook publishers that sell collections, or purchase novellas to sell individually and put in anthologies. I have one writer friend who sold two paranormal romance novellas to eTreasures. They then placed them in print anthologies with other authors. She hasn't earned a ton of royalties, but a little income never hurts.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

yes, if they're all written by you, it would not be an 'anthology' but a 'collection'... anthologies are compilations of various authors' works...

5. mbinks89

mbinks89 Active Member

Alright. I'll give it a try.

6. obsidian_cicatrix

obsidian_cicatrix I ink, therefore I am. Contributor

Oh... Ta for that! I've been using the wrong terminology for as long as can remember.