Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

"THE YEAR WE BROKE THE INTERNET"

Discussion in 'Debate Room' started by GingerCoffee, Aug 20, 2014.

Share first, ask questions later. Better yet: Let someone else ask the questions. Better still: What was the question again?
    :rofl: I love this guy's writing. But I digress.

So after reading the 4th* major breaking news in the Michael-Brown-shot-by-police story that turned out to be fake, I thought maybe a thread discussion was in order.

They were fake stories.

What was fake on the Internet this week: Supervolcanoes, Robin Williams’ pics and Justin Bieber saving a man from a bear

So I'm wondering if people have any significant fake stories to add to the list or any comments about the underlying psychology or repercussions from this kind of fake info sharing?

*One of the fakes hasn't been confirmed a fake yet but there's good reason to think it will be.

Simpson17866 and Lemex like this.
  2. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I love fake news stories. To be honest, I really do love internet hoaxes. Like when we had that meme of Adolf Hilter quotes attributed to Taylor Swift. :rofl:

It's fantastic. However, I remember reading - somewhere (I don't know where, or believe me I'd share it) saying the internet has had a positive effect on humanities collective intelligence because of hoaxes like that, people learn to think more carefully and critically so they do not look and feel like a fool again. This, as someone who often despairs at the amazing, staggering idiocy of humanity at times, is nothing if not a great thing.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  3. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

I think people have been doing that for a long, long time. Centuries, even. They'll make up anything if they think they can get away with it, and it will conjure up a whole lot of talk. That whole "Let them eat cake" thing that was reportedly said by Marie Antoinette? Completely made up to rile up anti-royalist sentiment among the French populace. The internet is just one more way in which we can make up stories. Sometimes it's just a prank, other times it can be very, very devastating.

Simpson17866 likes this.
  4. GingerCoffee

If you read much of the right wing blogosphere, or the anti-vaxxer sites you'd be hard pressed to say anything's changed.

Watching those Liberians attack the Ebola health center carrying off bloody mattresses it seems like one is looking back in history at how witch hunts occurred. Looking at the current websites claiming Michael Brown was a gang banger or Officer Wilson was severely beaten receiving an eye socket fracture (when you can see he doesn't have major injuries as he paces around the body after the shooting) I can't help but see the parallels.

If you can ignore the politics long enough, the Daily KOS has a worthwhile summary on: Why PeopleBelieve Lies.
    Our brains are wired to believe lies. It's a wonder we've made this much progress as a species.

Simpson17866 likes this.
  5. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I'm more worried about people who post incorrect stuff believing it to be true. I say this because I was reading an article this morning about some religious dude who was using thermodynamics to prove the existence of God. After an hour of Googling (yes, I'm that dedicated), I was able to find some things that didn't make sense in his argument, and I learned some thermodynamics in the process. Other people may not find the time to do some independent research and may end up buying his argument. That's what I'm worried about.

6. Lemex

To be honest, I'm even more worried about people who post things they know are lies, and pass them off as true.

Simpson17866 and GingerCoffee like this.
  7. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Trolls?

8. Lemex

And conscious con men. Trolling done right I can have some respect for I must admit, like that meme I mentioned of attributing Adolf Hitler quotes to Taylor Swift. That is just hilarious.

9. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Can I have a look at that meme, Lemex? :D

10. GingerCoffee

Lemex likes this.
  11. GingerCoffee

I'm most concerned about the purposeful political lies.

First level is repeating falsehoods out of ignorance.
    Next level is marketing that stretches the truth.
    Next is purposeful deceitful marketing and outright fraud.
    Next is political marketing that stretches the truth. (I find that more dangerous than product marketing fraud.)
    And the worse is manipulative deceitful political propaganda. Something we have way too much of currently.

12. Lemex

For discussions on political lies, I recommend a careful reading of George Orwell.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.