1. Vintage

Vintage New Member

Theme songs, anyone?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Vintage, Jan 11, 2011.

When writing, I like to make myself a list of songs that I use in different situations. For example, each character has maybe three different theme songs, that I label "Main", "Sadness" and "Anger" for example. I also have different theme songs for writing fight scenes, creepy scenes and generally anything. To me, it helps with getting into a character's head when you find a song to symbolise them, because that song will put you into the same mood as the character is at that point.

Does anyone else do this?

2. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

Most of my characters have a theme tune, my books certainly do.

Socrates is What About Us John Barrowman.
    Angus, Someone Elses Life, Michael Ball
    Beatrice is Satelite by Lena Meyer-Landrut (hope I have her name right lol)
    the Abbot is Man I Feel Like a Woman - no idea why just suits him - he likes John Barrowman's version of that.
    Nate is Bad Romance Lady Gaga - again no idea his romance is fine

I could go on lol

3. Vintage

Vintage New Member

Personally, I use different genres for different scenes. E.g. fight scenes being heavy rock, sad scenes having sad music and so on. And for a confusing scene where the protagonist of that one scene is drugged, I just listened to this little jewel, which worked wonders for my own feelings of nightmare fuel in it.

4. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

You are lucky lol the What About Us John Barrowman video was when Socrates Lorenzo walked into my life, can't write about him without it. I mean guy has good voice and the song is kind of nice.

However have had the same four John Barrowman songs on a loop since June I am slowly going mad. However spend days without it and I can't write this particular story lol

5. Vintage

Vintage New Member

Personally, I have made a playlist on YouTube with some mixed songs for writing nothing specific, songs that I know will good for such-and-such scenes (I used both the music and text from Skillet's song Hero as inspiration for one of the most emotional scenes), and sometimes, I am just browsing songs at random, and a sudden flash of inspiration for a scene hits me.

In other words: I owe a lot to music right now. :p

6. tristan.n

tristan.n Active Member

I do this all the time. I like to give my characters a few theme songs, and then while I'm writing, I find instrumental music that fits the mood. Right now I'm particularly fond of listening to Rusko, but songs are hard to find because Rusko's not well known (in the US anyway).

Raiden(pov): At first it's Bullet with Butterfly Wings, by Smashing Pumpkins, because she's angry and pubescent, but later on it's Santeria, by Sublime because she's a bit more mellow, but there's still that dark part lurking under the upbeat personality.
    Kenji: In One Ear, Cage the Elephant
    Elias: Under Pressure, David Bowie/Queen
    Emery: Whoa Oh!, Forever the Sickest Kids

I don't use the songs so much for the lyrics as I do the feel of the tune, which is why a lot of the time I use the instrumental versions. (Sometimes those just aren't as fun though!)

7. tristan.n

tristan.n Active Member

I forgot to put The Beginning Is the End Is the Beginning by Smashing Pumpkins, too... I love the mellowness of the song, but thanks to Watchmen, for the past couple of years I have trouble thinking of something besides the previews for that movie. lol

8. Vintage

Vintage New Member

I use that one as well. It's depressing, but still quite good.

9. tristan.n

tristan.n Active Member

Every song by that band is depressing and/or angry. Oh, how I love 90s bands! (except I think that particular song isn't from the 90s lol)

10. Aeschylus

Aeschylus Member

My character's theme-song is probably either "Take a Bow" by Muse or "La Vie en rose" by Édith Piaf. The former because it fits the character and her life very well, and the tragedy of her worldview. The latter because a) it's a beautiful song that my character would probably like (she can be a very romantic person), and b) because the song makes me think of Paris, the character's birthplace and home.

11. Midnight_Adventurer

Midnight_Adventurer Active Member

I've got playlists on my iPod full of songs that help me write certain scenes etc. I spend quite a bit of time perusing through production music websites because they create tailer made music for genres like; romance, action, adventure, family, comedy, travel etc. it's great! I just wish I had more room on my iPod, lol.

12. Vamp_fan22

Vamp_fan22 New Member

Every time I hear a really good song I listen to the lyrics and if I like what they say I try to write a character with those lyrics in mind. I'm trying to find a good song for one of my villains right now. For my love interest I've picked out 'Cosmic Love' by Florence And The Machine.

13. Aeschylus

Aeschylus Member

If I'm desperate for inspiration, the one group I can always rely on is Pink Floyd. I just have to listen to "Welcome to the Machine" and it helps. It's ridiculous how the same song can have so many interpretations.

14. KP Williams

KP Williams Active Member

I never go looking for theme music for my characters and stories, but I always seem to find it anyway. And funnily enough, every song that I've found that screams a certain character or situation has been from one group: Poets of the Fall. I must think on the same frequency as these guys, because nearly every song of theirs that I've heard has made me think of this character, or that scene. And I don't just mean it reminds me of this or that. It's like they're consciously referring to my stories, talking about specific events. I know I'm just imagining it, but it's... uncanny. Plus, their musical style matches with the tones I try to set. And I just love their music

If I were to make movies out of my stories (which I'd very much like to do, if only for the fun of it), they would definitely be on the soundtrack.

15. Show

Show Contributor Contributor

I don't listen to any particular music when I write but I often image an appropriate song playing in the background or in a trailer for the movie version of my books. Yes, I know I'm a little insane. I couldn't write otherwise.

16. Nilfiry

Nilfiry Senior Member

I have songs that fit certain moods, but I have no theme songs for characters specifically. I have lists labeled Battle, March, Towns, Mystery, etc. I do have a theme songs for stories overall, however. Think of it as an Opening and Ending theme if the novel were made into a series. Listening to them helps me get into the mood to write.