1. johann77

johann77 Member

Some where between there and over there, I'm aro

theme

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by johann77, Sep 16, 2012.

I don't know if I'm correct on this

Isn't the theme suppost come first and then the story is built around the theme?

2. Reggie

Reggie I Like 'Em hot "N Spicy Contributor

Theme is normally told in a story explicitly. While story must be told in order to show theme, I think that the purpose of a story is to write a theme. Theme is like the reason why we're writing a story. If it's about bungee jumping, your story doesn't have to directly say bungee jumping. But I'm guessing story and theme both come in mind at the same time.

3. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

It depends. Not all stories have a theme. Not all stories that end up having a theme were written with the intention of communicating that theme. Personally, I am very suspicious of deliberately and consciously writing a story to communicate a theme; I always suspect that you're likely to end up with a shallow, stilted story as it's twisted to fit the theme.

4. J. Blake

J. Blake Member

DependI'd be weary of beginning with a theme and building a story around it. You run the risk of a weak plot, preaching, and one-dimmensional, flat characters.

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

The theme is a general statemet or principal the story illustrates. It may not even be a conscious choice on the part of the author, in which case it is a reflection of the author's philosophy.

In fact, is an author selects a theme an then constructs a story around it, very often the result comes across as preachy and forced.

Sorry, but theme is rarely expressed explicitly, unless you're reading a fable or parable.

6. DoctorNovel

DoctorNovel New Member

I always thought the theme was implicitly placed inside the story
    For example, you read a story follow the characters, the plot and so forth
    and the reader develops an idea what the theme is...
    however some books the theme is apparent (eg., the timeline, the setting etc..)