1. Infinitytruth

Infinitytruth New Member

There's or there are?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Infinitytruth, Apr 16, 2011.

Commenting on something, and I realized I could use 'there's' or 'there are.' Which one is more grammatically correct? I would typically say 'there are.'

Here's my sentence:

Gnarly dude. I 404'd that link. lol. I've been looking at some instructors, the one I like says he's a 2nd level in tai chi. There's (or there are?) no others in my area.

2. Melzaar the Almighty

Melzaar the Almighty Contributor Contributor

How you speak it and how you write it are very different and forum posts blur that line a lot :p Grammatically it should be "there are" but in spoken word it's easy to shorten and use bad grammar because it sounds better. "There is no others in my area" is wrong, but "There's" becomes idiomatic or whatever that word is that means how people speak naturally. If you use it in writing, then you can put it in a character's speech, but not in narration, unless it's a first person that is already riddled with natural speech patterns. :)

3. Islander

Islander Contributor Contributor

"There are" is correct, since it refers to "no others", which is plural (more than one).

You can also write "There's no other in my area". Since "no other" is singular, it's correct to use "there is".

"There are" can also be contracted to "there're".

I agree, though, that you can use grammatical errors in dialogue. In your character's case, it seems to fit in very well stylistically.

4. Infinitytruth

Infinitytruth New Member

Thanks guys, just checking for future reference. Ran into it and seemed like it could go either way. 'There are' sounded better to me though.

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

verbs should agree in number with the subject. "There" is not the subject. though. "No others" is the real subject, despite the inverted order in the sentence.

There are no others in the area.

There is no one else like that in the area.

Of course, what others have said is also corrrect, that dialogue will often contain improper grammar, and there is nothing wrong with that.

6. Infinitytruth

Infinitytruth New Member

Thanks man. I always learn something from your posts! :)

7. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

Is it just me or does

There are no others and There's no other actually mean the same thing in most cases?

8. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i'd say so...

9. Gannon

Gannon Contributor Contributor

This type of usage is known as the "existential there". It cannot be the subject of the sentence as it does not carry any meaning, being used in stead to anticipate the subject in a clause that refers to the existence or occurance of something.