1. roseberryse

roseberryse New Member

Changing detail halfway through

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by roseberryse, Oct 26, 2009.

Hello,
    I'm about 30,000 words into my first novel and have decided to change the occupation of my MC. While this may not seem like a major detail, it has drastic effects on the plot. Even though I know that I have to go through and re-write practically everything, I know it's better for the text.

I guess my question is whether I should proceed writing with the MC in her new occupation and go back to the other stuff later, or should I go ahead and rewrite the first third of the book before moving on?

2. Mo Yeongsu

Mo Yeongsu New Member

When writing a novel you should not expect it to be ready for publishing the first run through anyways. If you think it is then you are some amazing writer or somethin. Things like this happen and I would suggest just going through when you're done or need a break from your current work. You've seen those 30,000 words again and again, so trying to re-write now could be a chore. Somethin like this is great for when you have writer's block later on and can't go forward.

3. roseberryse

roseberryse New Member

Good advice. With this being my first attempt, I doubt it will be ready for publication...ever, let alone the first time through. I know I'll have to rewrite it over and over before I'm happy with it. I just didn't know if there was a particular way of doing this that would be helpful. I agree though. I should probably just keep writing and come back to what I've written later when I have a clear head...I have seen those words soooo many times.

4. CharlieVer

CharlieVer Contributor Contributor

I'm working on the second draft of my novel and I've changed several characters around in major ways affecting the plot.

Like the saying goes, if you want to make an omelet, you have to break some eggs...

Charlie

5. roseberryse

roseberryse New Member

Perhaps I'm not being clear. I am definitely, 100% changing this detail. That isn't the issue. The issues is I cannot determine whether I should go ahead and finish writing the first draft of the novel with the change and go back later to rewrite the previous work. OR should I go ahead and make the changes in what I've already written before proceeding with the novel?

I'm sure it's a judgement call. I just wanted to know if anyone had a similar situation and could possibly offer suggestions.

6. InkDream

InkDream Active Member

If you decide not to go back and change it now at least type in a note to yourself so that you know where you have to fix it. I like to use ALL CAPS when I'm making a note to self in my writing because it's noticeable and you won't miss it when you go back to do your editing/revising.

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

In Word, you can Add Comment, which attaches a bubble (like a speech bubble) to that point in the document. It's very useful for keeping reminders of things to do.

If the changes you need to make are as far-reaching as it appears, you're probably best off going through your manuscript now, rather than trying to push on through the remaining 2/3. That will make it clearer how to proceed forward from the current point instead of trying to guess where the character will be at where you are now but after the revision.

It's much better to move forward with a consistent view of your characters and where your story is at.

8. Sillraaia

Sillraaia New Member

It's hard to go through your work and edit in such a big change. It sounds easy. But once you get into it you find little things that made perfect sense before, just don't quite fit anymore. Before you know it, you are crafting entirely different conversations - you would do better to go back and fix it as soon as you notice the change, like Cog said.
    Your work will be better for it. :)

9. roseberryse

roseberryse New Member

Yeah. As much as I would love to keep on truckin and pump out the rest of the text...I think I'll end up hating myself in the end.

10. architectus

architectus Banned

If it were me, I would just start over from scratch. I wouldn't even edit what I have. I would start on a blank document, with this new information in mind, and begin writing the novel.

I would look over the previous version and steal any great passages and use them.