1. Rebekkamaria

Rebekkamaria Senior Member

Things that make writing hard for you

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Rebekkamaria, Jun 14, 2008.

There's of course time issues etc., but I'm asking about personal issues that hinder your writing.

Mine are:

1. I have dyslexia
    2. English is not my mother tongue
    3. I cannot sit still longer than half an hour when I'm writing

There might be more, but I can't remember now. I hope this has not been done hundreds of times. :)

2. InkDancer

InkDancer Senior Member

I have the attention span of a..... ooh, pretty avatar!

3. Lucy E.

Lucy E. Contributing Member

- I rarely have time to write.
    - I have OCD, so for every incorrect word I type, I have to delete the entire paragraph and start over, which is a serious bother.
    - I find it difficult to concentrate on anything for longer than five minutes.

4. Flightlessfoofaraw

Flightlessfoofaraw Member

Things that make writing hard for me:

I share InkDancer's attention span problems.

I like to listen to music, and try as i might, i cannot write (not well, in any event) and listen at the same time.

I'm crap at time management.

I have other hobbies which i also love, like photography and playing music.

Bloody computer games :rolleyes:

1 person likes this.
  5. Brenda Keesal

Brenda Keesal Member

After many years of writing, I have accepted that unlike some other 'serious' writers, I cannot write for hours everyday except in bursts of time. I have learned to forgive myself for this, and my overall output is pretty good. We each have to find what works for us, and run with it!

6. Kratos

Kratos Contributing Member

-I go to school
    -I only have one computer that I must share with both my parents and my two little brothers
    -Sometimes I just can't write at all for some reason

7. tehuti88

tehuti88 Contributing Member

My attention span is atrocious, but thankfully this applies more to reading than writing. Weird that I should find reading harder to do when I love it so much! I used to be able to read for hours at a time before the Internet. :(

At times I just can't make the time in the day to write, but again, fortunately, this is rare and usually a choice. I don't have a job (disabled) or family/friends to take up my time, which is both good and bad I guess.

The main thing that makes writing hard is my own emotional state. When I'm terribly upset or depressed, the words don't want to come. I might be able to FORCE them to come, but I always feel very stupid and pathetic writing them. Plus, I can't seem to attract/keep readers for all the work I do, and that's terribly discouraging. So the thing that makes it hardest for me to write is the constant question, why am I even writing all this stuff if nobody wants to read it?

(I already know the whole "Write for yourself!" spiel yadda yadda yadda, thank you; doesn't apply to me since I obviously AM writing for myself, otherwise I wouldn't still be writing; but entertaining others is a big part of it for me. I don't see the point in putting so much effort into something if it's just for me.)

8. soujiroseta

soujiroseta Senior Member Contributor

The truth about me^^^:redface:

9. Lillias

Lillias Member

I must have ADD because my attention span is about 2 minutes tops. :rolleyes:
    Also I LOVE the Internet. Before I had a computer I wrote everything by hand so hand cramp was a major issue as well.
    Sometimes I have a hard time trying to express what I mean. I think in images not in sentences. :(

10. Torana

Torana Contributing Member Contributor

Only time I really have problems writing is when I am too happy. Writing horror poetry, it kind of requires a not so happy state of mind to get the right mood in the piece.

11. Charisma

Charisma Transposon Contributor

- I'm poor at time management (main reason)
    - Regional blackouts make it all the more difficult
    - I can't always get into the mood and the story
    - I sometimes get distracted

But I think I write fairly a lot, compared to the rest of my activities.

12. RomanticRose

RomanticRose Active Member

When I go out to write, people sometimes want to chat. ("What are you writing? Are you a teacher? I always wanted to be a writer? I've got this great idea for a book; what do you think of it?) They wouldn't bother anyone in their office, but they just don't understand that I am WORKING. Even my cap with "Do not disturb" doesn't deter some of them.

13. KP Williams

KP Williams Contributing Member

The only major difficulty for me is the fact that I sometimes get out of the mood. It's not really writer's block, but it still prevents me from writing anything worthy of being thrown into the trash can. Sometimes it lasts only a few hours, sometimes several weeks. I'm experiencing one of the latter moments right now. :(

Plenty of free time. No one to bother me. And I still can't get anything done.

14. Mousie

Mousie Contributing Member

I'm always reading these books with pretty, poetic descriptions of stuff. I can't write that. Whenever I have to describe something, I get so frustrated I have to go out and punch a baby! (but not really) But, now I switched over to screenwriting, so my only problem is...

I don't know what to write. At all. I've got no setting, no conflict, and now I'm losing my ability to create characters out of thin air. Crap!

15. chad.sims2

chad.sims2 Contributing Member

If i don't have someone demanding that i finish whatever project i'm working on i'll get bored, and start anotherone, leaving the other work forever unfinished. LOL So I need a slave driver if i ever wish to finish anything.

16. InkDancer

InkDancer Senior Member

I work best under deadlines. Especially a deadline for something completely unrelated. That way, my writing is goofing off. I write best when I'm doing it instead of something more important.

17. Amarantha

Amarantha Member

1) My attention span is two sentences. After that, I'm either lucky and just keep writing, or I have to get up and pace around my room just to formulate the next two damn sentences.
    2) I get out of my "writing mood" at almost any little thing. I hate writing when there are people I know around or if I'm someplace loud (simply because I'm an awfully "overprotective mother" to my characters), so if I even hear my sister walk past my room, my hide-the-notebook-and-act-innocent instinct kicks in.
    3) I like for everything to be done in chronological order, or at least methodically. Therefore, I can't move on once I get stuck on something tiny.

18. Samus Aran

Samus Aran Member

>I have to write things in chronological order, like Amarantha.

>Sometimes when I'm thinking of the proper word or something, my mind will wander and I'll go accomplish something else. Probably on the internet.

>I have to listen to music when I write, but I can't listen to anything with lyrics because either I will start singing them and won't concentrate on the story, or I'll start writing words in my story that go along with the song.

>I can't write with anything else going on around me, which proves difficult when my brother pulls out Guitar Hero right behind me...

19. Flightlessfoofaraw

Flightlessfoofaraw Member

I'm sat here with my chapter 8 open, and Grid on the ps3 to my right. I swear that big black brick keeps fluttering it's accursedly alluring eyelashes at me. :(

20. LibbyAnn

LibbyAnn Contributing Member

- Photography keeps me way too busy...but it pays the bills ;)
    - Screaming baby keeps me up half the night
    - Husband demands attention
    - I'm trying to graduate in December

Basically all that boils down to lack of time. But I love all of those things (especially the baby and the hubby), so they get to go above writing. I hope that life will slow down later so I can write whenever I want, but I have a feeling that's not going to be until I retire!

21. Undefined

Undefined Member

I have too many half baked ideas clogging up my head. Once I get something together enough to start a story another idea pops into my head. I can usually make it through a short story before my mind starts to wander but sometimes I can't even get more than a couple of pages out.

I can't stand handwriting a story anymore. Before I got a computer, man I'm getting old, I wrote everything by hand but now I love the keyboard. I can type much faster than I can scribble and I don't leave words out this way.

22. garza33

garza33 Active Member

After I had shrapnel taken out of my left hand and had to go through six months of therapy I had trouble typing using just one hand. Other than that I can't think of anything that has ever slowed me down.

23. chad.sims2

chad.sims2 Contributing Member

Ouch! Shrapnal to the hand. That's gotta hurt. I mean shrapnal anywhere's gona hurt but the hand. man my hand hurts thinking about it.

24. InkDancer

InkDancer Senior Member

Okay, now I feel really guilty for all those times that I could be writing and don't!

25. ugu

ugu Member

I never know how to begin my story. Most of the beginnings I have don't lead to the kind of stories I originally had in mind.