1. BallerGamer

BallerGamer Active Member

Malazan series?

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by BallerGamer, Nov 27, 2011.

I've heard nothing but rave reviews for this fantasy series and some even say it surpasses A Song of Ice and Fire. I've simply come to ask what everyone had thought of it? I've found that despite reviews, I've found more honest opinions asking on a message board than on a review. Such as for A Feast for Crows when I've come close to my wits end latching onto the many characters and stories that were spliced since its inception in Game of Thrones, there were some moments I had thought I was reading a book that collected a series of short stories. Or Fellowship Of the Ring where there were so much of Hobbit pleasantries, etiquette, and poems with half pages dedicated to them I could stand before I gave up on it. These are opinions I only found shared in message boards than in reviews.

Perhaps what I'm really asking is that with a series spawning 10 books, does it get too epic for its own good? Does it rattle onto its created races so much it starts shading into a textbook of said created races?

2. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Great series. At least, thus far. I am on book six. Doesn't get too epic for its own good, and I think the world-building and history does surpass A Song of Ice and Fire (and just about everything else). Seems to be a love or hate series. I fit in the 'love' camp.

It never turns into a text book. One thing some people don't like about Erikson is that he provides little backstory, particularly early on. You're just thrown into the action of the stories.

3. BallerGamer

BallerGamer Active Member

Thanks for your insight, I'm already convinced! Growing up around television exposed to very little book reading, my tastes have conformed to fast pace action rather than story build up; that has changed as I've grown but the seed of it remains, so I'm pleased to hear that.