1. yagami2

yagami2 Banned

May 22, 2015
    Things we can learn about ourselves through watching movies - Alan Moore's quote on writing

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by yagami2, May 22, 2015.

What does Alan Moore mean about the possible things we can learn about ourselves when interpreting art? It seems like he has something specific in mind, rather than just general and/or random things that you can learn about yourself (like, for example, that you enjoy the sight of roses simply from watching "V for Vendetta"). His quote is:

"Artists use lies to tell the truth. Yes, I created a lie, but since you believed it, you found out something true about yourself."

What could he possibly be referring to regarding things that you can learn about yourself through interpreting art? I've never really learned anything about myself through watching one of his movies, if that's what he even means...?

Thanks...! [​IMG]
  2. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Staff Supporter Contributor

Mar 17, 2013
    Welcome to the forum, yagami2 :)

I think art can reveal something about its viewer, yeah. The way we react to something can tell about our values, of things we care about, or help us learn something new about ourselves.

As a teenager, I read Ég heiti Ísbjörg, ég er ljón by the Icelandic author Vigdís Grimsdóttir, and it helped me understand things about womanhood, independence, responsibility, and not concerning yourself with what others think. It made me understand it's ok to feel differently about certain things and that I'm not a freak 'cause things that have traumatized or perturbed other women have not caused me to fall apart (I used to feel guilty about this), that it's ok to be weird, it's ok to feel alienated. When people ask "are you drunk?" and the answer is "no", I can shrug away the confusion I may have caused. If people fall silent 'cause I say something inappropriate, I know it's not the end of the world, that it's ok to have that strangeness inside you and not feel ashamed of it. I think reading Isbjörg kind of liberated me in some ways. I guess I learned something about myself too; that I needed that liberation or else I would've wound up living a quite miserable and stressful existence.
  3. Bryan Romer

Bryan Romer Contributing Member Contributor

Jan 26, 2014
    Fiction basically allows you to walk a mile in somebody's shoes. You see events and situations, and you see how someone else responds to them, but more importantly, you see why the respond in the way they do (assuming the writing is good). You may or may not agree, or even understand the character's reasoning, but at least you see that such a convergence or divergence from your own way of thought is possible and thus gain life experience without actually living the incident(s).

You might say, what can watching Thor bash monsters with his hammer teach me? Well, if you can for even a moment empathise with his character you catch a glimpse of what it is like to wield immense power, and perhaps lead you to think about how you would respond if given such power.