1. Snoopingaround

Snoopingaround Banned

Things you are ashamed of but willing to admit to

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Snoopingaround, Oct 12, 2011.

So, what are some traits or quirks you have that you would rather not have? Of course, those would be only things that you would be open to speaking about freely. I start this thread in order for some forumers to relieve themselves a little bit of their burden of guiltiness. Also, bad habits and weird little mannerisms can be expressed, so we can get that off our chest a bit. Some of us may have the same quirks, and can share strategies for dealing. "The truth shall set you free", after all...

Oh, yeah, I guess I should start off. OKay, for me, I can sometimes be a real penny pincher with money. Just the other day I went to a all-u-can-eat buffet and I made sure I ate as much as I possibly could. In fact, I ate so much I got a bad stomach ache and had major gas the whole night. I just had to maximize the value of my $8.25, even if I hurt myself in the process. What is up with that? I dunno, but I am trying to cure myself...

2. lostinwebspace

lostinwebspace Active Member

I like having the house to myself, but if the family is away for the night/week, I'm terrified. it drives me nuts because my mind runs wild with... hauntings, break-ins, whatever. I lose sleep and have to turn on a light in a nearby room. Maybe it's a fear of the dark. Never had it before I was married, though. This is just in the last few years.

3. Still Life

Still Life Active Member

I'm half-human, half-rat: I love, love, love to horde things! (Mostly books, dvds, and Japanese comics.) I'm always crashing at a friend's place, but never invite them over because I know they will start squealing, "Oh, my gah! You're such a freak!" the moment they step in the door. But I think everyone I know (who has gone shopping with me) can already guess to this nature, so I wouldn't mind letting the cat out of the bag when the time comes.

I'm also navigationally-challenged, but that's something I'm definitely not afraid to admit to when I'm super desperate, and there are plenty of times where I'm super-duper-DUPER desperate, only to find that I was five minutes away from the intended destination. ;/

4. Nelson

Nelson New Member

I am an alcoholic. Been sober for over 4 years. I guess i am not ashamed to admit it in certain circles, but I am ashamed somewhat to admit it to just anyone. In some ways I am very proud to admit it to some people, because for now I have beaten it. Funny, a forum for alcoholics called "Staying Cyber" a play on (staying sober) structured exactly like this website was very insturmental in my sobriety.

5. Jhunter

Jhunter Mmm, bacon. Contributor

I procrastinate, a lot.

6. James Berkley

James Berkley Banned

I have insomniac episodes. It will be late at night and I cannot sleep. So I do strange things at late hours, if I am not at work. Sometimes it will be after midnight and I will go for a run because I can’t sleep. Another thing I use to do was clean the 1911 I own just because, even though I have not shot it in months. My girlfriend finds it strange that I can take it apart and put it back together without opening my eyes.

7. Naiyn

Naiyn New Member

As a fellow procrastinator, I thought about responding to this with ideas on how to better deal with it, but... meh. Maybe I'll post something tommorow. :D

8. TheWritingWriter

TheWritingWriter New Member

My boyfriend & I are in between apartments & we're staying with three friends of ours, a mother & two sons. I've always been neat, perhaps too neat. I know this isn't my house, but I can't help but clean it and I know that the boys' mother love it because single mothers have busy schedules! I wish that those boys would clean up after themselves, more so the younger one than the older one. It's not my house to judge, and no one's asking me to clean but, five people living in a 2-bedroom apartment? I'm mostly trying to make it functional, not so much as spotless. Please undo my work with your ungratefulness. I'm cooking for you and cleaning your kitchen. Show your appreciation by cleaning up after yourself. Your own mother doesn't even clean up after you, why should I?

9. suddenly BANSHEES

suddenly BANSHEES Senior Member

@WritingWriter: Totally understandable. Have you tried asking the boys to pick up after themselves? Not like obviously nagging them, but say you see them leave something somewhere it doesn't belong - maybe a little "hey, you left [thing] here."

10. k.little90

k.little90 Active Member

JB, we are kindred spirits! As I type, I am currently suffering through my latest "insomniac episode." It's 0300 here and I just can't for the life of me get to sleep. Happens all the time, and it really sucks. If anyone has a cure for it, I would love to hear it!

Besides that, I have too many little quirks to mention :/ Insomnia is all I'm admitting to lol

11. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

I don't think any of that is to be ashamed of.

What are the things I do? Well...

...I'm not that much of a people person. I'm quite content by myself.

12. Snoopingaround

Snoopingaround Banned

Hmm...I guess shame is too strong a word perhaps, but nonetheless everyone seems to have picked up on my general intention for this thread. If you have weird quirks or funny mannerisms that you would rather not have or that you personally find peculiar is pretty much what this is about.

One more thing about me is that I am kind of lazy. But I am seriously working on that. I am also a late riser. Late to bed, late to rise, a natural night owl. There are alot of things about myself I need to improve, but as long as one recognizes these challenges then one can fight against them when necessary. Sometimes, it is a tough uphill battle, but our shortcomings and idiosyncracies are what makes life more interesting don't you think?

13. Jhunter

Haha, nice. /highfive

14. ShadowScribbler

ShadowScribbler New Member

I have a problem with people touching me. I have gotten into foul moods all day because people keep bumping into me and then they place their hands on my shoulders to check if I'm fine or something. I know that it's polite of them to ask but seriously? Just don't be a klutz and keep bumping into me. I walk with my eyes in front of me and avoid collisions for the very same reason.

I just really don't like it.

15. Jhunter

I don't think that is anything to be ashamed of, I greatly dislike that as well. I also hate it when people walk slow to browse or stop in the middle of a walkway to browse. I always think to myself, "Get the **** out of the way! This is a walkway! If you want to look at this crap move over out of the way!" People are too oblivious of their surroundings and generally just don't care. I find it highly annoying since I go out of my way not to do this and to be considerate anytime that I can. But, I guess in their defense, I was raised to be chivalrous. They may not have been. It is still no excuse in my opinion though.

16. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

I procrastinate a lot, and I sleep with the closet doors open in the dark at night. Force of habit, and they're just creepy-looking in the dark, seriously.

17. JGHunter

JGHunter New Member

I argue too much. I've been cutting down, but I'm one of those jerks that starts a discussion about a very hot topic on facebook. Generally placing my side of the view first rather than leaving it open. I like to challenge but I know I shouldn't be so controversial. Not everybody wants that. In fact, very few people do. Also, now and again, I will engage in a topic that I don't know much about, but as if I know all there is to know, despite a little more research would reveal the obvious. Now there's a habit that's easy to recognise, but damn impossible to get rid of. On the bright side, I'm not a stubborn hypocrite: if I'm wrong, I'll accept it and apologise.

18. pk.

pk. Active Member

I need a cigarette and coffee in the morning or I tend to get frustrated with everything, oh, and I am extremely lazy =)