1. ellebell16

ellebell16 New Member

Short Story "Fun" Writing

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by ellebell16, Jan 12, 2011.

Does anyone else just write stories for fun, with no intention of getting it published? I sometimes get little ideas that would be fun to write but I wouldn't want anyone else reading. Does anyone else do this, or is it a waste of time?

2. laciemn

laciemn New Member

I really don't believe any of the things I write right now will be published to be honest. By all means, write away for the fun of it while you can :D
    Once you're into publishing, say goodbye to all that. It's all work and deadlines then.
    Haha I'm just kidding. But people make it sound like hell to be a writer. I don't know why anyone wants to to be honest :p

3. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

I write for fun - I don't mind if it never gets published. However I also write to be read so tend to post my work here or on my website or share it with friends.

With my novels I am working to try and get them published, if they don't I'll publish them myself on a website.

4. Youniquee

Youniquee (◡‿◡✿) Contributor

Yeah, Why not..
    But since I fail at writing short stories (I have too many ideas) I'll always write novels..
    The novel I'm currently writing, I plan to get published when the time comes..
    but yeah, writing for fun is cool.

5. Reggie

Reggie I Like 'Em hot "N Spicy Contributor

I like to write for fun too, and I share some of my works on this website for critiquing. I have little emphasis of getting published. Besides, I'm the worse writer you ever met. But I guess someday things will get better. Anyway, writing for fun is better than just writing at all.

6. Allegro Van Kiddo

Allegro Van Kiddo New Member

I used to do a lot of painting and enjoyed entering them in different shows just for fun. I'm a creative person and enjoy making things especially if they entertain people. I decided to do some writing to tell stories I would enjoy out of frustration, and then I really started to enjoy it.

I've written several books now and have a list of ideas I'll be happy to work on. It would be awesome to get published, but then again I enjoy giving, and would be happy to publish free books if no one wants to publish.

I plan to take a shot at it, then take a serious shot, and if nothing happens I'll continue to write and publish on the web.

My goal is to have fun and enjoy.

7. The Degenerate

The Degenerate Active Member

Nothing you write is a waste. You're exercising the brain. It's like any other muscle; the more you use it, the more refined it becomes.

Your question is actually a very interesting one. Writing for publication involves writing with a critical eye. If you're anything like I am, this can result in bouts of frustration and diffidence. Writing for fun, with the knowledge that nobody else will ever read it, is good to get you into a rhythm and a habit for completing all of your projects.

But I think in both cases writing should be enjoyable. It's not worth the frustration if you don't enjoy all the sweat and blood it takes to produce a polished story.

8. Kevin B

Kevin B New Member

Yes, I write for fun too. Whether I'm writing a novel, or a short story doesn't matter. Short stories I have no problem finishing, but a novel can be a different story altogether (pun intended). So far, I've only had one novel that I've had to set aside before finishing. If I'm having fun with a story, I can write it. But when the fun stops, the writing stops. All the fun had gone out of the third novel I started, and I spit and sputtered through a few chapters just trying to keep it going. When I couldn't revive the fun I had with it at the start, I knew it was time to put it away. I will revisit it someday, but I'm not sure when that will be. I'm finishing up a novel at the moment, and I have another that's probably 80-85% finished that will follow this one.

I've always said that if you can keep the fun in a story, then you'll have no problem writing it. When you lose that fun is when you begin to stumble.

9. Raki

Raki New Member

I do quite a bit of writing for fun. I tend to give the "fun" projects the same amount of work as the "job" projects though, so I can't really tell the difference. I will admit though, I have been inspired to take stories I have written for "fun" further than "fun" because of how they turned out.

So I may answer your question by saying that I always write for an audience, or I always write to be read, whether or not it's fun. :)

10. KP Williams

KP Williams Active Member

All of my writing is done for fun. It just so happens that some of it comes with the eventual goal of publication. I have a rather lengthy series planned that is sort of my second life, the life I wish I were leading right now. Do I want to see it published and successful? Of course. But it's no great tragedy if it never does. I'm going to write every story in that series, whether it ever gains the public eye or not.

So I'm sort of a yes-no, I guess. All of my writing is for fun. Not all of it is purely for fun.

11. Ellipse

Ellipse Contributor Contributor

I wouldn't be writing unless I was having fun doing it. :)

12. CreativeWriter2011

CreativeWriter2011 New Member

Oh yes, I definitely like to write for fun. I don't plan on getting anything published because I don't think it's any good and because most of the stories I write are FanFiction but I do write scripts.

13. Nilfiry

Nilfiry Senior Member

Me! Me! Writing is strictly a hobby and a pass-time for me. I have no intention of publishing anything. Well, I do intend to print a few copies for certain individuals, but nothing beyond that.

14. Jonias

Jonias Member

My comedies are so weird I honestly doubt anyone but me would laugh at them, but they bring me such joy I write them anyway.xD

My drama? If by "fun" you mean "not for the sake of getting published"...yes. I write for the sake of writing and don't care about becoming successful or famous (extremely unlikely even if I wanted to and honestly there are much greater writers out there than me). I think "fun" is too..."light" a word to describe it though...to me, writing is an almost sacred experience. I need writing (or dreaming, at the very least) just as much as I need food or water. I would like at least a few people who don't know me to read my stories, though, so I will self-publish my novel if I ever finish it, but the comedies will probably stay on the shelf for my friends and family to read and have a good laugh at how weird I am and how much I suck xD.

15. HorusEye

HorusEye Contributor Contributor

Sometimes, very short pieces or poems. To play around with words and catch a break from my other stuff. I'd do it more if not my main project took up so much of my time and brain power.

16. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

there are lots of 'hobby' writers out there, just as there are lots of 'hobby' painters, photographers, singers, musicians and such... there's no law that says no one can dabble in an art form unless they want to sell their work/talents...

if you enjoy doing it and don't want to do it as a career, just go on having fun!

love and hugs, maia

17. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

I did that when i was a teenager. I couldnt even stand the idea of anyone reading it and i didnt imagine i would ever feel comfortable of sending anything i had written to a publisher. I think that has helped me a lot though. its a good exercise and knowing that no one will read it unless you let them you feel really free of writing whatever you feel like without restrictions or fear of what people might think. I can miss that feeling now sometimes, but i let those stories i cant or wont write to happen in my head instead, where no one will judge them. i'd stay stick to it, its a good practise if you someday would feel like trying to get stuff published.