Things you enjoy doing more than writing/reading

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by redreversed, Jul 20, 2013.

1. D-Doc

D-Doc Active Member

Laying down pipe.

2. MainerMikeBrown

MainerMikeBrown Senior Member

I enjoy walking the beaches of southern Maine.

The rocky coast of Maine is second-to-none.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I concur! Mount Desert Island and vicinity is my favorite.

4. Oswiecenie

Oswiecenie Active Member

Travelling, playing the guitar, fencing.

5. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

It's difficult to say if I enjoy other activities more... maybe I enjoy them differently or about as much. Often I end up doing something 'cause I want to write about it for one reason or another and then find myself enjoying the activity just like the writing of it. One downside to writing is that it keeps you stationary, and I get fidgety if I stay still too long. Traveling is great but expensive, I sure wish I could do that more. Boxing, muay thai, horseback riding, gym/cross-fit work-outs, running/jogging (I've noticed people like to say they enjoy running, but many of them actually just sort of jog-waddle which sure is better than nothing), parkour, and long walks in the woods (with the occasional lost-getting) seem to do the trick to counter-balance the hours of sitting/perching/huddling required when writing. I should really get back to guitar playing too... music and writing often go hand in hand, and I've really enjoyed shooting, but unfortunately get to do it only a few times a year which means I'm crap at it.

[MENTION=3885]Wreybies[/MENTION] : that beach is amazing. I'm so jealous now. We have nothing like that on this side of Tellus :(

Andrae Smith likes this.
  6. Uberwatch

Uberwatch Active Member

Gaming
    Watching stars in the night sky

7. Yoshiko

Yoshiko Contributor Contributor

My main interests are culture, film, languages, and music.

I write and direct short films. My current project has gained a good deal of interest so I'm taking it as a good sign. I also work on adverts, documentaries, and other non-fiction - but that's not nearly as interesting.

I've a strong interest in music, but not as an artist. I'm more interested in how the industry functions. I studied it independently for years, before deciding to take my theories and research (on how to revive the industry and improve record sales) to people with more experience in the industry than myself. It was well-recieved, so I'm considering continuing with this route.

Culture and languages are tied together, and they both also relate to the above interests. I studied three languages in school and my interest in the world is constantly growing. When I'm not working on a creative project, I'm usually researching into the histories, politics, religions, beliefs, geography, media, etc of foreign countries. Currently I'm interested in the northern European countries.

Err, for more fun-sounding interests: I love theatre, live music, travelling, video games (the Final Fantasy series is my favourite), and spending time with my friends. :p

8. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

I enjoy wildlife documentaries and some talent shows. Of course I enjoy reading, movies, theatre.

I particularly love street artist performances. Prague's got to be the best place for this. Within 10min of each other, I first walked into a guitarist who sings like Bob Marley who then did an incredible duet, and then afterwards I walked right into a violin quartet - 3 violins and 1 cello, incredible artists. And there's always Roma music, beautiful stuff on cellos and violins and accordions, and the most unique one was when I walked into a musician playing classical pieces on wine glasses. And another time I walked into a theatrical dance where a dancer was reacting to everything her partner was singing. When the Czechs are good at something, they're usually amazingly good.

Otherwise, I sing from time to time - just inside my own flat lol.

I also love origami and follow youtube tutorials on it from time to time, learnt a number of really cool things. And I like to wire jewellery and am looking forward to dabbling in polymer clay. I like to bake. (cakes, not clay lol) I also enjoy languages - learning Czech, Japanese and sorta playing around with Mandarin and am determined to improve my Cantonese this summer.

But yeah, my hobbies are usually related to making something or expressing something. Aside from all this, well, obviously love to hang out with friends in quirky coffee shops :p I particularly like these 2 cafes, one filled with cat decorations and even an indoor street lamp from the Victorian age, and the other's filled with all kinds of unique bells and chimes and complete with a garden in the courtyard :D

Seriously, I love Prague :D

9. Southpaw2380

Southpaw2380 Member

I play guitar and write music regularly. I also currently play hockey and indoor soccer as well as train in MMA. I'll do just about anything to avoid writing it seems!

~~SP

10. Garball

Garball Banned Contributor

Fishing. All types: worm, cane pole, crank, deep sea, but mainly fly fishing. I love hiking away from anything man-made and getting lost in the nature of a watershed. Hemingway's Big Two-Hearted River was a favorite short story of mine – even when a high school english teacher tried to convince us it was only about impotence and masturbation.

Also, skinny dipping. I don't care where I have nothing to wear. Lakes, oceans, rivers, night or day. The best, however, is finding a deep pool in a clear stream and then drying off laying in the sun on a boulder. Body surfing in the nee is a close second.

11. Lydia

Lydia Contributor Contributor

Well I love food. Cooking it, eating it, and discovering new things. Besides that, I also like singing and playing guitar, making jewelry and other crafty things, gardening, making walks, hiking, inventing games and activities for kids... I guess that's pretty much it.

Things I really want to do:
    - go fishing
    - travel more
    - play video games
    - learn how to fence

12. Kaze Araki

Kaze Araki Member

Playing chess online and watching chess analysis videos in YouTube.

13. mg357

mg357 Active Member

Aside from writing my other hobbies are woodworking, listening to music, watching movies, especially old movies and I also go to the pistol range and do a little target shooting.

Andrae Smith likes this.
  14. T.Trian

T.Trian Overly Pompous Bastard Supporter Contributor

First, I enjoy writing far more than reading, and it's kinda hard to think of something that I enjoy more than writing, but these top it by just a hair or are on par with it, in no particular order except for the first one which tops everything else (call me a hopeless romantic and you'd be speaking the truth):

-spending time with KaTrian (we could be doing any of the things listed below or taking a walk, sitting on the couch, anything as long as we're together, just the two of us)
    -drawing (pretty much just humans and although I still suck horribly at it, I have a clear image in mind of the style I'm after: 1/3 West-European, 1/3 American, 1/3 Japanese)
    -sex (how come so few have listed this? Are writers perhaps a particularly asexual group? :D)
    -martial arts / combat sports (all-time favorites are muay thai, krav maga, and Brazilian jiu-jitsu)
    -swimming (in a pool: there I can just focus on the zen of it all instead of kicking seaweeds off my toes and avoiding jellyfish)
    -playing guitar and drums (particularly performing onstage: the bigger the stage, the more fun it is)
    -shooting (especially pistols, rifles are a close second)

Andrae Smith likes this.
  15. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

Jumping the waves in the ocean, jumping into the Caribbean and commencing snorkeling, lying in a lounge chair on a sandy beach while waiters bring me pina coladas, going out to wonderful restaurants, traveling, going to art/high craft shows, sometimes shopping, finishing decorating the Christmas tree and turning out the ambient lights.

16. whatsizbucket

whatsizbucket New Member

Ispend time with my cat, Tommy Tom. He follows me around everywhere. He's a good boy. At night, he snuggles with me on my pillow andwatchesme type.

17. Andrae Smith

Andrae Smith Bestselling Author|Editor|Writing Coach Contributor

So, I think I second this:
    Things I love to do definitely include going to the beach (In So. Cal. cuz they're the best in the States ;) ) and body surfing and running and soakin' in some sun. I just love the air and the atmosphere and the water... I also really like going to zoos. San Diego and LA are the best I've been to, in that order. I love animals and nature and being able to see them is great (Although I do find it a little sad that we have them in captivity, but I trust they're well-treated. :p)

As for actual hobbies (other than writing):
    • reading
    • philosophical discussions
    • drawing (on occasion, my skill improves in random stair-steps. one day I can't draw something the next day I can lol)
    • cooking
    • throwing/coaching discus (I enjoyed coaching my teammates. Sadly, the split focus held me back and I never threw passed 140ft/42.6m. I still love the sport though and practice often even though I'm not good enough to throw at my college.)
    • working out (weights and calisthenics)
    • running, jogging, cycling (great way to keep my heart rate up and keep my @$$ from getting flabby)
    Well that's me! What about the rest of ya, for those who haven't commented or want to re-comment. Comment below, let me know! >_<
    (I hope this isn't thread bumping. I just thought it would be better to comment here than to start a knew one since this one is so recent. :p)

18. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

One day, I'm coming to PR. Hope to see you when I do. I've been to a half dozen other islands in that neck of the woods. I love the tropics, but I especially love the turquoise blue water of the Caribbean.

Andrae Smith likes this.
  19. Alesia

Alesia Pen names: AJ Connor, Carey Connolly Contributor

Building scale models
    [​IMG]

Photography (Kind of goes hand-in-hand with running a model builders blog)
    Gaming
    Playing bass guitar and singing

GingerCoffee and Andrae Smith like this.
  20. Andrae Smith

Now that is neat, you put that together? :)

21. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

What Andrea said. ^

22. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

You shall be most welcome. :) We will drink mojitos beneath azure skies. Sugar white sands will tickle our toes as caramel boys so beautiful, in ages past, wars would have been fought over them and empires raised in their glory saunter past, unaware of their epic pulchritude.

[​IMG]

23. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

And a very purple sunset, huh?

24. Alesia

Alesia Pen names: AJ Connor, Carey Connolly Contributor

Thank you, and I sure did. All of them can be seen at www.havocmodels.com under the gallery tab.

Andrae Smith likes this.
  25. Andrae Smith

I think that is really cool! What sparked your interest in building models. Do you paint them too? I was never one for building models, but I still think it's neat for those who do. When I wanted to build things, I got into wood working for a while and crafting pipe-cleaner models.