1. Cacian

Cacian Banned

''things'' you look forward to when you start a writing

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Cacian, Jan 18, 2012.

we all get excited when we have the urge or an idea to start writing a story.

what things do you look forward to when you start compiling/creating a story?

2. Corgz

Corgz Senior Member

the action scenes!

3. Rosa

Rosa Member

Cacian, I enjoy the 'what ifs'. I think they are fun.

Also, when you sit down to write a scene and unexpected ideas or characters come to mind. It's as though something takes over for a while and you know that is the way to take the story. Although, it usually means some rewriting is needed.

The whole process really. Except for working out timelines (that is a tedious task) and the blank spaces. You know the ones where you need to go in a certain direction but inspiration has taken a holiday.

4. hoggyboy

hoggyboy Senior Member

the entire story haha!

but sometimes i write bits faster than other bits such as fighting scenes and certain talking scenes so i guess they're my favs

5. Cacian

Cacian Banned

that is something one can focus one first because younejoy them the most.

I think maybe concentrating on the 'what ifs' and perfecting them then expend from that.
    It is always easier to focus and grow with the favourite, then move on to the easy then to the less easy, it makes writing easier.
    it sounds like you would do even better at writing plays first.

6. The Magnan

The Magnan Active Member

I particularly like coming up with characters, I prefer characters that are both good and bad in their own way. I also enjoy coming up with the settings and the Antagonists, I've come up with some pretty evil beings from my Energi Mind to the High Ascendants of Osuna. It's fun to be evil. I also enjoy character relationships, one thing that makes it writinh fun is the conversations between characters. Some can be pure genius.

7. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i enjoy the writing, period!... all of it... but i don't consciously 'look forward' to doing it, i simpy do it... as writing is what i do full time, there's no 'looking forward' involved...

8. i'Tellaedhel

i'Tellaedhel Member

I am looking forward to uncovering the dark sides of my brain. When I write, all kinds of unexpected verbiage come out of my head. Well, I like re-reading this some days later, because it almost never looks like something I wrote, rather something written out of unknown.

9. miss sunhine

miss sunhine Member

I don't just write i try and look at all the different possibilities. The 'what ifs' people are taking about. I like creating my characters best, i like working with a plot, i enjoy doing research (probably more than i should) The first blank page when you come to start the first chapter. Twists in my work that will shock people, the frightening and suspenseful moments, but most importantly the Relationships my characters create with one another.

But i HATE editing with a Passion
    ;)

10. TheWritingWriter

TheWritingWriter Senior Member

When I write, I enjoy the story. I still get a story, but I get to control how it ends. :)

11. Jared King

Jared King Member

For me, its the creation process that I love. Creating characters, building worlds, and having a story come to life in my mind is the best part. The actual writing I hate (probably why I've never completed any projects).

12. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Staff Supporter Contributor

I guess I'm different from a lot of you. I love rewriting my paragraphs until I think they're beautiful. I want to be able to read my work aloud and love it. I love my stories, of course, and my characters, but I get a charge out of writing a beautiful paragraph. I get a charge out of being able to use language to manipulate the mood of my readers. I want my words to sing.

That's what I look forward to in writing.

13. TheWritingWriter

TheWritingWriter Senior Member

I love going back & re-reading what I've done and be like, "Dang. I'm a genius!" (But that's just me, I'm conceited like that.) It allows me to enjoy a good story. I don't find books a lot that I like, because I have such distinct, unique taste in literature. Reading & writing it.

I will sit and re-write the same chapter & spend 30 minutes to an hour on it. I am the same way.

14. Hellchoseme

Hellchoseme Member

I second that! Nothing beats a good night of re-writing. But it seems I always look forward to the conversations between characters. I find they run smoothly for me.

15. cari_za

cari_za Member

The end. I love it when I come to the end of whatever I have writtern and it's just complete. The overall piece feels like a glimpse into something and everything feels solid. By the time I actually start writing I've relived the scene in my head so many times from so many different perspectives that when it's finally down on the screen and brought to life I feel peace.

16. Cacian

Cacian Banned

@minstrel

you sound you have the nack for editing.
    Not many writer like to go over and over something they wrote because it is draining at times.
    May be a position of editor for you would be ideal.

17. i'Tellaedhel

i'Tellaedhel Member

I hear you. ;)

18. Norin

Norin New Member

I just look forward to my imagination comming back at the moment, because I'm completely "dry"... :(
    Well, usually, I look forward to writing everything in my novel, because everything is important and so everything is enjoyable to write and read, in my opinion! :)

19. Cacian

Cacian Banned

try poetry for a bit..even if it is random..you should get you words/imagination but trying it different style of writing like
    plays/speeches/letters/shor scripts/interviews/braisntorming topics/ideas...

20. Norin

Norin New Member

Thank's! :)

21. Corgz

Corgz Senior Member

another thing i am looking forward to is the gore scenes and the deaths... i dont know why.. but i've just never used them and in the book i am using, there will be a lto of gruesome deaths and stuff.. so yeah :)