1. Oister

Oister New Member

Prison escape novels?

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Oister, Jul 21, 2015.

I made an account here a while ago, and then kind of forgot this site existed. Just rediscovered this place and will probably be making a few post here and there... Anyway, after hours of unsuccessfully scouring the internet for novels about a prison escape, I thought this might be a good place to come and ask for some recommendations. In the past I have read books such as Papillon and The Penal Colony, and have been in the mood to read something similar.
    I am preferably looking for a book where the plot is based around the escape attempt, rather that a book in which someone just happens to break out of prison. Any thoughts?

2. sidtvicious

sidtvicious Contributor Contributor

Inferno, office 752. Take a right turn at the wat
    The Great Escape by Paul Bruckhill comes to mind (granted it's a prison camp not a prison)
    Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption by Stephen King (Also a film--either might be up your alley)
    Birdman of Alcatraz by Thomas Gaddis
    Death Row Breakout by Edward Bunker (if you've seen Reservoir Dogs this is the guy that played Mr. Blue. He also spent time behind bars in real life)

If I think of more i'll post them here.

3. Oister

Oister New Member

Thanks, although none of them are exactly what I'm looking for. Will probably give the Shawshank Redemption a go though. I have, of course, seen the film, but never read the book. All in all this seems like a pretty sparse genre. I suppose the research that would have to go into writing something like this would have to be pretty extensive. Maybe that's why most of the notable reads are based on true stories and real life accounts. Ehh, thanks for the suggestions anyway.