Tags:
  1. Amund

Amund New Member

I want to know if this plot is any good.

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Amund, Jul 5, 2008.

First, I will post my plot.

Rayen, the main character, is a nineteen year old girl. She is a senior in high school. She messes around with magic a lot. She doesn't really care about much else, except for advancing her magic powers. She doesn't really have a handle on her magic, so it goes awry. Any who, after she makes a kid almost commit suicide with magic, she runs home. On the way home she keeps running through different worlds. These worlds are people's personal worlds. Some are violent, some are filled with money, some are filled with candy. These worlds are people's subconsciouses leaking into the real world. Along with people's subconsciouses leaking into our world, heaven, hell, nirvana, all the other worlds leak into our world.

Rayen finds out that she is one half of the convergence. The other half is a young girl. I'm thinking ten, maybe eight. Rayen is the one who will preserve the world, allowing it to continue it's existence. The young girl is the half who will destroy it, remaking it in her image. Rayen can choose to accept, or deny the destiny, as it will be filled by someone. Then she learns, that whoever kills the other half of the convergence, acquires the other half's powers, to do with what the winner wills. Of course this means, that Rayen doesn't necessarily half to fulfill her destiny. She can re-create the world in her image, just as the little girl could.

Rayen then goes through time bleeds. Parts of the past bleed into her present. She meets the last convergence person. The one who made it so the world could continue. It was her in her past life. Turns out she was a goddess.

Rayen triumphs, and doesn't actually decide what to do with her new found powers. She wants to see how the world plays out first.

Any who, the story is obviously about destiny, and how our choices affect it's outcome. And it is set in the future. I was wondering if it sounds like a good plot, or if it just sounds really bad. Is there something that should be changed?

2. SonnehLee

SonnehLee Contributor Contributor

First, since you're new to the site, let me advise you to always read the stickies at the top. Except in the lounge and stuff, ha.

And now, no plot is original. With the millions of books in the world, there is bound to be one with your plot. All that matters is your ability as a writer. If you want to write it, go ahead. If you write it well, the plot will work.

3. BillyxRansom

BillyxRansom Active Member

Weird, but I guess it could certainly work IF YOU WRITE WELL.

That's all there is to it; you could have a severely ridiculous seeming plot, but if it's written well, it'll be a legitimate attempt at writing at least, if nothing more.

4. RomanticRose

RomanticRose Active Member

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A story concept means nothing. I can tell you now, it has been done before. What matters is how you write it, the characterization, the flow, the imagery, all of it.

There's no point to asking what other people think of the concept! They'll either say,"Sounds great," or, "it sounds like a ripoff of..."

If the idea stirs you, write it. Then ask people what they think of the final story. After they tell you what they don't like about it, revise it, usually several times, until you're happy with it or until you throw up your hands and say the hell with it.

Please read this thread about What is Plot Creation and Development?

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

ditto that!

bottom line: any plot can be either great, or awful, depending on the skill [or lack of same] of the writer... and nobody buys plots [other than the kind with headstones]... ;-)

7. B-Gas

B-Gas New Member

Rule of thumb: People don't stop reading because the plot's crap; they stop reading because the writing's crap.

Example A: The Da Vinci Code and anything else by Dan Brown. A bunch of 'here's the next clue that only the main character will understand' murders, or a series of interesting locations that show you only the detail that only the main character can possibly understand that propels us to the next one, or- so help me, I wanted to burn this book- a hunt for a ring and a clue so bleeding obvious that the audience will shout at the book several chapters before the end. But we KEEP ON READING. Dan Brown is fantastically good at dragging the audience through the most convoluted and brain-dead plot twists in all history. He has, arguably, some of the worst raw plot layouts you will ever see. But- but!- his writing completely overrides it. His writing makes the books gripping and lively, even through passages where the reader slaps his head and thinks, well duh, stupid main-character person, or sighs and thinks, how the hell was I supposed to know that, stupid writer-man? You will think this, and you will keep on reading despite it, because his writing is so damn good.

The best plot in the world will never be read if the writing is crap. The worst plot in the world will still be read if the writing is great. Think of the plot. Then write it. Only then will the opinions of others matter.

8. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

good stuff, b-g!... listen up, amund!!!

9. joanna_t

joanna_t New Member

I think your plot idea sounds like a good one. I work at a library so I look at what people read all day. Your book idea sounds like something that would be popular and appealing to teens. You asked if there was anything else that should happen? It seems like you have the beginning and middle well figured out, but maybe at the end, Rayne could realize that should could use her power for good? You said that the story is about destiny, so if through all this she learned something about herself and realized that she could use her powers to help other people, then it would give her story/life/journey some purpose. Sort of a 'bildungsroman' if you will.... :) But, I like reading books where I learn something new by watching someone else learn something about themselves or just life in general, so what ever floats your boat. Good luck on the writing.