Think Tank: Bullying

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by JJ_Maxx, Feb 24, 2013.

1. SocksFox

SocksFox Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

Education and awareness are the greatest tools we have, but there are far too few people who are willing to listen...The desire to extract revenge pound for pound, blood for blood, overrules logic more often than not.

2. PaleWriter

PaleWriter Member

JJ_Maxx clarified the direction this discussion should be heading...
    Somehow, I don't think "Pork Chop" has a place in this discussion.
    Personal attacks against others and their ability to empathize are out of line.
    Or, is this just a real life example of another form of bullying?

3. Exzalia

Exzalia Banned Contributor

The holocaust was done by a mad man and so shocked and horrified the world it partly inspired the idea of equality. It help to stomp out the hatred against other races, it gave the civil rights movement power. If anything the holocaust is prove that humanity can change! because now not even the Germans are proud of what they did. We have memorials honoring the victims and hitler is now the most hated man in history.

If you can not see the potential for good in society, for good and change fine. But don't pull down others to mope around in the pits of despair. We must believe we can change, that we will change.

And for as long as I live I will fight for that change, I will fight for my ideal world with the words and tears of victims past pushing me forward.

4. Exzalia

Well for starters we should acknowledge that.

No one deserves to be bullied

no one has the right to bully

and when bullying is happening it should not be ignored.

As long as we agree on these tenants we can go from there.

5. SocksFox

You can believe as you will, but do not ever put words in my mouth. I have pulled no one down. To make such an accusation, trying to force your view on a statement of truth is bullying. I merely stated a fact that history, itself, has borne out. People do have the potential for good, but also for evil.

6. Exzalia

I distinctly remember you saying my goals were futile.

implying I should not bother no?

Right...here.> Things do change over time, but when I say futile, I mean it. Some problems have been solved, rights granted, people freed...But the cycle repeats. Since those social reforms, we have had two World Wars and countless Civil Wars. Look at the Holocaust...Human nature doesn't change. Just the faces of the victims and the prosecutors...

regardless change does happen, slowly or not it doesn't matter. and As long as change is possible we should strive for it.

7. SocksFox

So this is all about your goals, suddenly? You have your own free will to do what you will. No one can take that away. Trying to change human nature is an exercise in futility. Hence this whole argument...Seriously. Focus on the big picture, the topic of bullying, not just your beliefs about it.

Okay, I'm totally lost, now...

Then go forth and make your change, but leave me out of it. I just merely stated a fact that bullying will always exist in one form or another because society doesn't know how to function in a perfectly equal world...Good Grief...!

8. Exzalia

you want me to talk about a social issue with out mentioning my beliefs?

Is that even possible? are you not stating your beliefs on the topic right now?

9. SocksFox

There is not a single word about your personal goals in that statement...It is a statement of fact, historically proven...fact.

10. Exzalia

The goal is changing the world so that kids don't have to go through there life being bullied, wars don't have to happen ect ect

11. SocksFox

This is getting ridiculous. Going back to the whole, letting things go observation...Let it go and get this thread back on track.

12. SocksFox

So this boils down to I am knocking you down for not being able to save the world because I believe that human nature will never change, due to the fact that it is inherently flawed, correct?

How is the fact that I disagree with your view wrong? Am I not entitled to my own beliefs? If you want to change the world go for it, but don't say I'm making a victim out of you by having my own opinion. That is not fair. If you have a further issue with the previous statement please address it to one of the moderators.

13. Exzalia

now I'm confused let me clarify

You sounded to me like you where saying.

Don't try to change the world it will never work.

To which I said.

If you don't think the world can change fine, but don't tell me not to try.

Some where along those lines their was a miscommunication. This has nothing to do with you not being able to voice an opinion

14. SocksFox

If you don't think the world can change find, but don't tell me not to try.

That line right there is your problem. I have done nothing to discourage you...You want to go for it. Go for it. You have free will. I just said history will constantly repeat the cycle of bullying, which you seem not to agree with, as is your right.

Seriously, this is getting tedious. If anyone has anything else to add, please feel free to jump in before the tedium of this thread continues to repeat itself, just like history...

15. Exzalia

but don't say I'm making a victim out of you by having my own opinion. That is not fair. If you have a further issue with the previous statement please address it to one of the moderators.

Not sure how you got that from my argument but that was certainly NOT what I was trying to say lol

16. Exzalia

....Awkward silence.

Anywho, to sum it all up.

Bullying is wrong and should not be tolerated.

humanity can change if we try and be that change.

I think that's it, could talk Drakkin good talk. ;)

17. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

No, if someone is trying to get their point of view across, they need to phrase the message so people will listen. I'm not required to listen to anyone "pouring their heart out". There are millions of people who have it worse. I just love the way you hate bullying, but have no problem making your own snap judgments and name calling. Pot - kettle anyone?

18. Exzalia

I have called no one a jerk firstly and secondly.

Imagine I read one fith of this post, but because I got bored I stoped mid way through then went on to criticize your argument with out first listening to your opinion.

Wouldn't you say that's a jerk thing to do?

also this xD [​IMG]

19. SocksFox

Wouldn't you say that's a jerk thing to do?

A written opinion from a forum member, a peer, if you will, is a very different thing than a video pulled from Youtube. The forum member is addressing the current conversation and topic in their own words, not someone else's. A video clip can be ignored, quite easily, in point of fact. While they might convey the idea of a point you are trying to make, the point is that you are not trying to prove your point through your own arguments.

Original source arguments take precedence over Youtube clips. I have to agree with shadowwalker on this one.

20. Exzalia

I personaly don't think it matters whether it's first second or third source, you won't get the full meaning of the argument if you perposefully ignore 50% of it. and if you only know half of the argument how can you then refute it?

To me it's no diffrent then stopping in the middle or reading someone elses post.

21. live2write

live2write Senior Member

I agree with you and awareness is a key element. However there are people who interpret bullying differently.

Some people consider bullying as the kid who steals lunch money from other kid. Or a person older than the victum. Some also consider bullying as somebody who dresses intimidating with an attitude toward others when really he may have some socializing problems or was bullied in the past. Some people consider bullying as throwing a person into a locker, wall and harassing them verbally or physically.

My grandfather always said education education education. He is right, educating people on what bullying, harassment (sexual too), and how to prevent it or solve it is what needs to be done.

Unfortunately not many schools have the available programs for this because of lack of public speakers or funding to bring a speaker into the school or they do not have a problem with bullying. Television and movies doesn't teach anything because it doesn't tell the viewer how to solve it. Only shows what happens afterwards.

Also there is no support for the bully. Bullies may be victims too. They could have been bullied in the past. Their family might have some influence where one of the parents abuses the child.

One of the people that bullied me hated me because I was a privileged child where my parents were passive about me staying up late or watching rated R movies etc. (remember this was early middle school). It was an act of jealousy.

22. SocksFox

The point of my post is that you are letting someone else make your point for you. On that point alone it can be refuted. You aren't making the argument yourself. You're just regurgitating someone else's thoughts and inhibiting the effectiveness of your own words.

If you believe in something, stand up for it. Find your own voice on the subject, form your own thoughts and opinions, but also respect those who disagree with your views.

I skipped the video, too, because it was tedious.

A better way to make your argument: What is it about the video that matters so much? What are the key points you are trying to highlight? We would like to hear it from your perspective. Not some random YouTuber, of whom we have never heard. It's you we are talking to. We put in the effort to make a point, using our own voices, so should you.

Take this with a grain of salt. This just happens to be my opinion on the matter.

I agree that bullying is wretched, but I still maintain that it will never, ever entirely disappear...10,000 years of war and achievement argue toward this point. Equal potential for good and for ill.

23. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

I did read your whole post, and while you have a somewhat valid point about coddling kids today, it's also always been so. Or at least for the last 100 years or so. But I don't accept the premise that everyone is always bullied so kids might as well learn to deal with it, so I find that whole line of discussion only tangentially relevant. Intense bullying of the kind when kids really pick a target and harass him or her relentlessly, both at school and over social media, via texting and picture-sharing is NOT something that should be expected to happen. And if it does, it is not the type of behavior that should be expected to be repeated once someone becomes an adult. For many of the behaviors that bullying entails, a victim could actually call the police and criminal charges could be filed.

Adults have many more options to remove themselves from a harassing or distasteful situation or a person engaging in behavior that could be described as stalking. Adults are more able to speak up for themselves and to find like minded people to be with. Adults are able to change jobs, move, physically leave a location where unpleasant or disagreeable people are lurking, and are much better equipped to find others who are like-minded and share common interests. A common scenario is that of a child/teen who is gay and lives in a small, often very religious, homogeneous community. Gay children have a much higher incidence of being bullied. Once that child is able to leave the small town, and find others who either are also gay, or who are accepting of diversity, and not following on particular form of religion, life is much improved.

Yes, there are certain situations where an adult might find him or herself having to deal with someone who is somewhat of a "bully." But they are not as intense, nor are they as common, as childhood bullies.

24. Exzalia

Drakin I humbly disagree with you for two reasons....which I don't have time to elaberate on cause I must be going but I will say this.

My views and the mans views are one in the same, he just say's it in a way I never could. I urge you to watch it. Because as wonderful as reading is sometimes hearing and seeing is the only way to understand how another feels.

how I feel as a fellow person.

You know what they say, a picture is worth 1 thousand words.

25. SocksFox

Herein lies the crux of the matter. Finding one's place in the world...That is what truly matters and is a big part of life's journey. Bullying unfortunately will always be a part of the journey....

Well said. Very well said.