Thinking about life and the end of the world.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Norule, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Jessica_312

Jessica_312 New Member

Yes that's often the cause of the "white tunnel" visions that people have during "near death" experiences.

I was raised a Christian and I'm at a point now where I believe in a God (a higher power) and I'm not sure what else. Maybe there is an afterlife, maybe not? My philosophy? Carpe Diem, baby. Woot woot! ;) :D

ETA: Anyone watch the History Channel (AKA "The Thousand Ways the Earth and the Human Population Could Get Royally Screwed Over" channel?) Seriously, so many shows on mega disasters, asteroids, ways earth can be destroyed from space, ways earth can be destroyed from earth, through natural means or by our own hand. Basically, we're living on a ticking time bomb. No one really knows when the end will come, but it will eventually.

Wow, I just depressed myself. Going to Carpe Diem some more now. LOL :D

LMAO! Love the reference :D

2. eXpendable

eXpendable New Member

What you are describing, my friend, is the philosophical notion of Solipsism. This is the belief that you can only truly verify the existence of your own mind, basically that yours is the only consciousness in the world and that everything will cease once you die. Somewhat ironically, a lot of people think this. Hell, I'm pretty sure I've considered it before. I guess we all go through periods of feeling alienated and isolated from everyone else, not letting it over-ride everything is what's important. The amazing gift of meaningful interaction is what gives life purpose for me and remembering this is what usually gets me through such periods. It's easy to overlook and take for granted such miracles.

3. Dial

Dial New Member

I watched a BBC documentary about such ways objects in space could kill us -- I no longer felt safe in this galaxy.

And no I don't believe the world will end in 2012.

Eschatology has become really weird since relativity...

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I'm turning 58 tomorrow. My take is, better over the hill than under it. I mean, it isn't the end of the world!

Oh. Wait...

5. KP Williams

KP Williams Active Member

As a Stargate fan, I find it both amusing and terrifying that there is a chance that an asteroid named Apophis might one day pose a significant threat to our existence. The only thing that could make it more amusing/terrifying/fitting would be if this asteroid had been named Anubis instead.

6. Daydream

Daydream Contributor Contributor

I'm still waiting on planet x to enter our orbit *giggle* love reading up on post apocalyptic theories :p

7. StrangerWithNoName

StrangerWithNoName Longobard duke

C'mon it could be worse, the asteroid could have been named Nemesis... ;)

8. Annûniel

Annûniel Contributor Contributor

Haha. I hope you get to enjoy that birthday!!

9. Chudz

Chudz New Member

Happy B-Day, Cog, and many more like it! :D

10. Norm

Norm New Member

Question for you man, have you thought about applying similar thought processes to the notion of reality?

11. cassieopeia

cassieopeia New Member

I've had the very same thought.

Always at night right before I fall asleep.

I think 'when I die, its like there will be nothing because I'm the centre of my own world'. LOL

Its hard to explain to other people but at the moment your thinking it, it makes perfect sense!

Cass

12. Adi

Adi New Member

Life's a little boring anyways, more of an endless pressure game than any real intrinsic pleasure.. best to enjoy the moment and bow out graciously.

13. JimFlagg

JimFlagg New Member

Dude you are messing with my Chi. You need to get out and smell the roses. :p

14. Daydream

Did everyone hear about all those birds and fish dying back during new years? Was just rereading some articles on it. Interesting stuff!

15. JimFlagg

JimFlagg New Member

I think something is coming. With the rebellions in the middle east, the NATO crap, the world economy crash and all of the other stuff. It looks like another World War but at this point it is hard to tell. If we did have another World War then my guess is that it will not be fought with bombs but with infrastructure attacks. If we lost our power we would be screwed because we rely so much on computers and have no backup plan.

16. CarteBlanche

CarteBlanche New Member

Its an interesting time we're in. As a race, we've never had more destructive capabilities, but at the same time, the World has never been more connected, more advanced, and certainly there are a lot of organizations that you think would keep us from pushing the big red button.

When it comes down to it, optimistically, I like to think our diplomatic power far outstrips the selfish or destructive desires of any one group. There are exceptions, though...

As for a situation of nature or pure cosmic chance? A little more gloomy. :(

17. Daydream

Yeh there does seem to be alot of crazy events happening lately :O

18. Quezacotl

Quezacotl New Member

He who fears death dies every time he thinks of it. - STANISLAS I

The frightening developments and the claim that the world will end are mere coincidences. Something more plausible: the frightening developments caused people to claim the world will end. Please everyone, promise me you will not get caught up in the hysteria.

Death will eventually come. There's no point thinking about it now, there's no need to lose sleep over it, there's no reason to panic, and above all, no reason to herald the end too early. Once again, do not get caught up in the hysteria, it's hardly a healthy way to live.

19. JimFlagg

JimFlagg New Member

Are you kidding me. It is time to PANIC. EVERY ONE RUN FOR YOUR LIVES! Oh, wait we are not allowed to holler fire in a crowded theater. First, amendment and all. Sorry, my bad. :p

20. Kontrast

Kontrast New Member

What youre talking about is a major philosophical state- internal and external worlds, there are some fancy names for it but thats what it boils down to.
    good old existentialism- focus on your world and how to live it! And don't worry about the end of the world- its going to come eventually and trying to predict when is just going to ruin your world sooner, ie like the people who sold their homes when someone told them the world was going to end earlier this year.

21. JimFlagg

JimFlagg New Member

What? When did that happen. I do not remember reading about people selling their homes because they thought the world was about to end. Is this when they thought the rapture was coming?

22. Trish

Trish Damned if I do and damned if I don't Contributor

Yes, people quit their jobs, sold their homes, etc. It happens everytime someone predicts this stuff. You'd think they'd have all learned by now.

23. JimFlagg

JimFlagg New Member

That is just plain stupid. So you sell your home for cash but you can not take it with you. Maybe you would do it to give it to someone that you would think is not going to be raptured but if that is the case then the person would have to be bad and would you give your money to someone bad. I just can't see the logic in it.