This Is a Genuine Question( not for the faint hearted)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Cacian, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Cacian

Cacian Banned

cake is a luxury
    and
    love is whatever you make of it.
    fat is disaster.
    is it the cake's fault?
    and
    is there more then love that means similar but not quite intense??

2. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

Cacian, you say that you don't want to read about evil, hear about evil, know about evil, wanting to keep yourself innocent of knowledge of evil, but now you present yourself as knowing the exact mindset of evil people, in detail.

No. That just doesn't work.

3. Cacian

Cacian Banned

Nazis are evil and nowardays there are thousands of doucmented programmes about the nazis and what they got up to during the war.
    I am sure there are nazis still around today. Does that scare you? maybe not.
    It scare the hell out of those who were present and witnesses and vitims of their evil hands.
    I watched their programmes because it was on TV , so I took courage and decided to watch them to get to the bottom of their sheer evileness and believe me it is not one to miss (and for the faint hearted either).
    Genocide at this level is evil personified.
    Genocide still is alive and so is poverty. That's evil.
    Need I say more.

4. Cacian

Cacian Banned

In a way in a quest to understand Evil one maybe should define the meaning to see if we are have similarities in the way we think.

My definition of EVIL
    what is yours?

5. The Magnan

The Magnan Active Member

What you saying is that you believe we can achieve perfection, and be fulfilled, no one can be perfect in all arts whether its writing or otherwise. Sanity is just something that reassures us. People view it different ways. Humans are difficult to understand because we use about 10% of it, at least thats what scientists think. Besides we are long way away from tapping into it's potential. It's not about slacking its just who you are, and what you have experienced as you grow. Everything impacts you, one way or another

6. Hellchoseme

Hellchoseme New Member

There is one thing that everyone overlooks. We talk of the things we are disturbed by very blindly.
    The things that disturb people (for me that is suffering and cruelty also attract them.
    The feeling of disturbance is welcome to many, alot of people found "The picture of Dorian Gray" by Oscar Wilde disturbing yet they read it still. Same goes for Shakespeare. Tragedies like Hamlet, loved all over the world, also have alot of bloodshed and emotional pain.

7. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

having 'the capacity for' does not = actually having one... being capable of doing bad things does not mean you will choose to or have to actually do them...

8. The Magnan

The Magnan Active Member

Of course but the point is, our personality and emotions aren't one single thing. No one person is truely good or evil. Like I said before the poem Vultures is quite interesting in how it mentions good and evil. You don't need to do them to think them. A lot of anger is in the imagination. It doesn't make you evil. It's complicated and simple, a bit of both

9. Alex W

Alex W New Member

That's not the point, the point is that we all have a dark side. Every human does. Just because you choose not to indulge it doesn't mean it's not there, merely that you wouldn't let it loose.

And therefore, you do have one. You yourself will have one and i'm willing to bet at a time of great anger or frustration, will have wished or perhaps even done something you might consider 'dark' or 'bad'. Even if you haven't, it's still there, you just either have great self control or you've never been pushed enough to have seen it appear, in one way or another.

10. Alex W

Alex W New Member

(Double Post)

11. ClusterChuck

ClusterChuck New Member

Cake is a right of liberty
    fat is a luxury
    It's the government's fault really

Love is a color of varying values, but none as rich as the love a fat kid has for cake.

12. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

Having a dark side doesn't mean one is committing violent acts, it means that one has impulses of rage, anger, selfishness, pride etc. It means that every single one of us, if we reach deep inside ourselves, will find impulses that frighten us. It is a normal and healthy thing to have, as is normal and healthy to exercise self control and to sublimate the dark impulses into something more socially acceptable, such as art, sport etc.
    It's pretty much psychology 101, I am surprised this is a point of contention at all...

13. Cacian

Cacian Banned

haha...not the statue of liberty then...guess it won't behappy to hear the cake takes the biscuit;)
    cake is nice but too much gets in the way of taste.

could not possibly agree.fat is a disaster if it gets overboard because the person is depressed.
    How do you mean? in what ways?
    well I have only known of love of humans between humans.
    Love is best when it is reciprocated.
    Does the cake love the kid is a good question?
    fat and love do not go hand in hand. We tend to love nice things and be loved back because we are nice too.

14. Cacian

Cacian Banned

it is pretty much what it means tome...or at least having the tendency to commit violent or unpleasant acts.
    hence the expression of 'being a dark horse'.

people think differently we have to accept that.

15. AmsterdamAssassin

AmsterdamAssassin Active Member

A) Jazzabel is right, to have urges doesn't mean you have to act on them. Being a dark horse doesn't mean the same as 'having a dark side', it's acting on that dark side, often by negative acts that people don't expect. People might think differently, but that's not an excuse for denying the presence of a dark side in every human being. Having a dark side makes us human, not acting on the dark side makes us better than animals.

B) Re-reading your first post, Cacian, I noticed that you wouldn't read horror because it wasn't pleasurable and relaxing. Guess what, for me, and many other horror lovers, there is pleasure in reading horror, and relaxation afterward at the realisation that as a reader you don't have to succumb that the horror. If you don't feel the same way, that doesn't mean there's something wrong with horror writers and readers. I don't get pleasure from reading some books, the fact that other people do derive pleasure from reading those books just shows that people have different tastes.

16. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Cacian, no offense, but I can't realy get what you're trying to say. It is good that you've only known love; ot many people get to say that.

It's just that we've been discussing two things in one topic. First we're discussing how people have different tastes, then we're having a discussion about the basic nature of man, with everyone repeating the same two things: We all have a darkness/We have different tastes in literature.

Exactly. People like to read horror. Nothing wrong with that.

What do you want us to say? "Oh, we won't read horror ever again"?

If it's of any assurance, I once created a character that was a combination of Hitler, Stalin, and Pol-Pot. Scared the living hell out of me that I was capable of creating this character just by thinking about those three men and tossing them into a mixing vat. Doesn't mean anything much, other than it'll be all the more pleasing when the good guys finally overthrow this sick, sick puppy.

17. jazzabel

I completely agree with you, and I do accept that. It's just, it is difficult when something is obvious, proven, like I don't know... the sky is blue. Then someone comes along and says that as far as they are concerned, the sky is not blue, it is green with purple dots, and all of a sudden we are having a protracted discussion trying to "explain" to that person something so obvious. I feel that when somebody's opinion on something differs so much as to bring the issue of reality in question, it no longer pertains to the actual reality but to their own reaction to it. As in, someone for whatever reason can not face the fact that the sky is blue, their self-esteem depends on them trying to convince themselves and others that it' is actually green with purple dots. But in that case, they are denying what their own eyes are telling them, what is common knowledge, and if they are capable to disregard these facts, nothing that can be presented to them in a discussion is likely to change their mind, ergo trying to discuss matters with them is a huge waste of time.
    Yes it is their opinion, but since we are talking about well known fact, that opinion is not exactly equal to the opinion that the sky is blue. Because in reality, that we can all check, the sky ain't green with purple dots, no matter what anyone says about it.

18. jazzabel

oops, sorry, double post

19. Cacian

Cacian Banned

I have known both good and bad like everyone else.
    what I am trying to say is that I prefer to be on the safe side of things hence my dislike(which is a taste as you say rightly) to horror and guresomness.
    That is who I am. I do not have any interest in reading horror or twisted or weird. I have always been interested inthe opposite and thatis me.
    I am glad in way that some others like the opposite of what I like so that we can generate discussions.
    That is what life is about.
    I also do not trust horror in literature because I have no idea what it might entail or mean to me long term,is one way of explaining it and so I am oso glad that I do not find it exciting or thrilling.
    I think I would be upset if I did because I would be wondering all the time what effects is it going to have on me or my psychic long term.
    And no I do not want you to say 'we won't read horror again' that would be silly and unrealistic. That is not for me to judge as it is each to their own.
    and yes I agree there is nothing wrong with it so long as it is fullfilling what you are looking for

well I see what you mean but a discussion is not about changing people's mind or how they feel.
    A discussion is the ability to take on board what other people are saying , accepting it and the rest is what you make of it.
    It is up to the individual to draw conclusion on what each other one has said and leave it at that.
    Saying to others that they are denial or refusing to see and share it is like forcing someone to drink something they do not want to.
    The skymight well be blue for you but othes might see ligh blue hence the different shades of blue.
    If I come and decide to see it green because I fancy it that way, then I should be able to express it that way without anyone feeling annoyed or upset I have not comformed to the genrel consensus.
    I should be able to say anyhting even if it is not what it is just because someone said it is.
    Freedom of expression is as important as freedom of thinking.

20. jazzabel

Hey Cacian, thank you, I really appreciate the effort, but I honestly don't need you to explain to me what discussion means. I am talking about the fact that not every opinion is worthy of a discussion.
    I know people who genuinely believe that the aliens implanted a microchip in their forearms and are using that to spy on their every move. However, you won't see me trying to convince them that they are wrong, rather, I will draw conclusions about them based on that non-sensical belief. And before you ask, yes, there is a possibility that aliens indeed exist and that they indeed are following them via a microchip, but that isn't the issue. The issue is how capable they are to entertain the thought that they are wrong. In that sense I agree that just because something someone is saying is completely incorrect, doesn't mean that they have no right to say it, far from it.
    but, there are such things as obvious facts, and in my humble opinion, the quality of any discussion depends on the reasonability of the statements someone is arguing about or with.

To me, a quality discussion is not about me and 10 other people trying desperately to explain to a person who keeps insisting that the sky is green with purple dots, that they are wrong. It is my opinion, which I base on experience. Someone stating that the sky is light blue is a whole different matter, but in this thread, I feel that anyone saying that they are one exception to the entire human race because they have "no dark side whatsoever" is a lot more ike claiming that the sky is green with purple dots than claiming the sky is light blue.

So there are discussions which have quality in them because they enrich everyone who participates, and then there are self-serving discussions, where someone represents a completely illogical view for any number of reasons - attracting attention, making themselves feel special somehow, pacifying some internal conflicts etc.

21. Cacian

Cacian Banned

hey I truly am sorry if I offended in any way and that was not my intention.
    I do feel however differently because I truly believe that every opinion is worthy of a discussion.
    I much like to chat and share ideas and that is something I enjoy.
    wether I agree with it or not does not matter to me long term.
    somehow it is not in me to judge wether someone started a discussion other then the need to communicate and seek other new opinions and views.
    I am glad I always engage in conversations without judging the person's drive or reasons to start a chat about anyhting.
    I also do not see that much of a point to talk about something if we are all going to agree about it.
    I prefer a discussion that will have a mix of opinions ,datas, facts and other exterior new factors.
    I find discussions of this type more fun. That is how I see it.
    When I started this thread it was to delve into why I feel differently from others.
    If I did not have that difference then this discussion or any for that matter would not exist.
    That would be the end of talking about anyhting and that is not what I am about.

22. jazzabel

No, you did not offend me at all. I just voiced my preference for discussions which focus on deepening the understanding of the issue rather than debate over illogical statements.
    I do welcome different points of view but once in a while, when I find myself debating something that is divorced from reality, I find it frustrating and pointless. But that's just how I am, and I don't expect others to be the same :)

23. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

cacian...
    'dark horse' has nothing to do with 'having a dark side'... it only refers to an entrant in a race that was not expected to win... whose attributes were little known, hence 'dark' as in the shadows...

24. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Here in the UK a 'dark horse' also means someone who is considered different in a negative way.

25. Cacian

Cacian Banned

I am not aware if the poem Vultures.
    I should check it out.