1. ShortBus

ShortBus Member

what do the stars mean?

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by ShortBus, Apr 11, 2012.

there's really no where to post this at. im wondering what the stars mean beside the topic. i saw the tag and attachment icons because u can roll over them and it tells you what it is, but not the stars. im just curious ☺

2. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

It's the thread rating. I'm really not sure why it's there since I'm sure most people don't pay attention to it.

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

and most of them are awarded by the poster of that thread and/or friends and family, so are useless self-aggrandizement...

i wish daniel would get rid of them, as they're totally misleading to those who don't know how they'd been acquired...

4. ShortBus

ShortBus Member

Thanks for answering my question.

I think a rating system on the replies in the topics would be a better idea. Say you have a question for your topic, the most helpful answer would get the best rating and would automatically be the 1st reply. If you do it that way you don't have to filter through pages of answers to get what you need.

Or if the rating system was optimized and not "useless" we could rate the best stories on the forums and scroll through the top rated stories/topics (to read the better of the bunch) instead of randomly clicking topic posts. It could also give us writers more of an incentive to get better at our craft.

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Any 1-n rating system is absolutely useless here, whether for threads or responses.

I'm with Maia - Daniel should lose them if at all possible. However, it's a low priority annoyance, and other features need repair more urgently.

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

such as the navigation mess which still plagues me!

it takes all kinds of clicking, re-clicking, or starting over by clicking the main menu, to get back to it, when it used to be so simple, by just hitting the 'back' arrow... any cure in sight, cog?

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Only Daniel can make changes to the software. I don't have any access to the source code.