1. Daydream

Daydream Contributor Contributor

Steven Erikson - Malazan Book of the Fallen series

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Daydream, Jan 21, 2012.

Just started reading this series a couple of days ago. Still not quite sure what to think of it though. The setting and idea behind it is really good, but I feel like the plot is taking forever to make sense. Each chapter is a small event thats separated by a coupple of years or in a totally different area. Nothing major seems to happen in those chapter except for a couple of characters meeting up and discussing events. Anyway this may sound as though I don't like the book, but I'm quite enjoying it except for the fact that its confusing as hell at times :p I'm going to continue reading since i refuse to set down a book no matter how boring/confusing it is! I guess the series itself is quite large, so maybe it just takes a couple of books to make more sense.

Anyone else reading or read this series? What did/do you think of it?

2. The Magnan

The Magnan Active Member

I've read some of the books, although being me I read the second off last and then the last so I've gone back to the beginning to fill in the pieces. I agree it is complicated and confusing but in a good way it makes me want to find answers, but things will start to make sense, how far through are you.

3. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Great series.

Erikson doesn't supply much back story - as the reader you are basically just thrust into the action. You put pieces together over the course of reading the series. I think the books are excellent, personally.

4. The Magnan

The Magnan Active Member

My personal favourite characters in the series have to be Fiddler, Dancer and Shadowthrone and Paran, who certainly made his mark, in fact I feel sorry for him, the gods pick on him quite a lot. As for D and S they scheme... and scheme somemore, and then possess a fishing girl to do their dirty work. Pure brilliance. If all gods were like the ones in Malazan Book of the Fallen this world would be much more interesting...

5. Daydream

I've almost finished the first book! It's definitely getting better, but as I said can be really confusing at times!! Think I just have to get used to his style of writing. As Steerpike mentioned I think he has a habit of throwing the reader into the action without explaining much of the setting or why its happening....you just have to keep reading to find out!

6. The Magnan

The Magnan Active Member

Yeah you could say it keeps you in suspense, but even in the first book all the characters are well thought out, and I think its a lot better than most fantasies Ive read, it has a form of realism in the way the world exists.

7. Daydream

Ah definitely liking it abit more now :D Finallystarting to understand things....it's still confusing, but I atleast know the characters now! I've now bought the next two in the series!