1. Phantom_Of3

Phantom_Of3 New Member

Are the sequels to The Hunger Games worth reading?

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Phantom_Of3, Jan 3, 2012.

So, I just finished reading The Hunger Games, by Suzanne Collins, and thought it was a good book; not the best I've ever read, maybe a bit overhyped (as all things are these days), but still pretty good. However, I've read people's reviews of the sequels, Catching Fire and Mockingjay, and some people have said that those sequels ruin the series for you, or that they are unnecessary, or just don't measure up to the first book. So what do you guys think? Should I read the sequels, or should I skip them so that I can remember good experiences with the first book and call it quits from there?

2. dissolvedgirl

dissolvedgirl New Member

Ah, I've just finished the series myself...I actually hadn't really heard much hype about the books themselves (in the UK there's barely been anything about them in the press...are you living in the US?), and only got to know about the books by reading a synopsis of the upcoming film, and, liking the premise, I decided to give them a go.

Anyway, I would say that the first is just about the best, however, that shouldn't deter you from reading the second two as they both actually add a lot of character layering and development of the story world. Are they the best written things ever? No. The first 150 or so pages from Catching Fire drag enormously as Collins tries to decide what she'll do with the floundering romantic interests, and Mockingjay has too many filler chapters and not enough of the action set pieces present in the other two, but they're definitely worth it. The second one is actually full of a lot of emotional development and is genuinely thrilling, while the third shocks at times and isn't afraid to pull it's punches. I think you'll enjoy them both :)

3. astroannie

astroannie New Member

I was supremely unhappy with the ending/third book. The first one is the best and if you're satisifed with how it ends, then stopping isn't a bad thing.

4. Afterburner

Afterburner Active Member

For the sake of completeness, I would suggest reading them. As dissolvedgirl said, the sequels add a lot to the world as whole and to the characters. But honestly, the first book is by far the best. Two seems almost a waste, and I was not a fan of the ending to the series.

5. arron89

arron89 Banned

I just finished the first book. It's terribly written, as most young adult books are, but the idea is interesting enough. They're super easy reading, so I'll probably knock back the other two books in a few days just to see how she resolves things, but I have no expectations. Even in the first book you can tell that she doesn't really know what to do with her idea, but she stumbles competently through a few good choices by sheer luck.

It's still nowhere near as accomplished as Battle Royale, the Japanese film that did the same concept far, far better over a decade earlier (Collins claims she's never seen it, and I believe her--if she had, her book would've been so much better).

6. Question

Question Active Member

The first book was great, it had a unique and interesting concept. Though the other two were okay, it feels like their just kind of repeting the same things over and over. I didnt think any of them were poorly written, though the are an easier read. So, really If you don't care about the small bit of closier that the other books offer then I wouldn't read them. If you do read the series then I would reccomend that you get library copys and not actualy buy them.

7. xAudienceofone

xAudienceofone New Member

I though the first book was fantastic in my opinon. The second seemed like a way to establish new characters and a setting for the third though and the third itself was so unlike the other two. In the end, how the three end, I didnt mind. Its a sort of cliffhanger in a way, but also resolves so much. I really cannot tell you one or the other, only what I have said. There are still great moments I think in both sequels but the first will still be the best.

8. muscle979

muscle979 Member

It's not really a unique concept. The idea of a society drawing names for a sacrifice is not new, nor is the idea of humans hunting other humans for sport. I thought it was pretty good though for the most part. I didn't like the first person narrative but I could live with it. It could have been so much better to me if the author had done scenes during the games from the perspective of multiple characters. Or at least some of the main ones like Rue, Peeta, and Cato. I enjoyed the book but I'm not sure if I'm going to read the other ones as I don't find myself caring that much which boy she chooses and all of that.

9. Kio

Kio New Member

Wow, a lot of hate for books 2 and 3. I guess I'm just easy to please because the third book was my favourite.

Don't stop at book 1. Don't read about what people think. You have to read it for yourself and see whether you like it or not. If you hate them, then you can ignore them, I guess.

10. astroannie

astroannie New Member

If I read every book in every series in which I'd read the first book or few, I'd need to be clones so I could have a life.

It is perfectly okay to stop after one if you choose. But it gets to be your choice.

For a long time--years--I thought if you started a book or a series there was something wrong with you if you didn't finish it. I know better now.

Alan (I think that's the correct spelling) Steele's Coyote cured me. I was halfway through and didn't care about the characters he was bringing to the forefront. At all. So I put it down and haven't read any more in the series. And I don't care how good the 3rd or whatever book is. I don't eat caviar either. My life, my choice.

11. Kio

Kio New Member

To me, half the fun of reading a book is completing it and being able to discuss it with friends. You can't do that if you just read the first book and then stopped altogether, thinking "there, the end, no more". It's one thing if you dislike the series or the book, but another thing if you enjoy it and decide that you don't care to see the real ending.

However, in the end, it's your choice and no one else's. Just my two cents on the whole issue.

12. muscle979

muscle979 Member

I'm contemplating not continuing because the part of the story that made me want to read it to begin with is over after the first book.

13. Kio

Kio New Member

What's the part? I've already read all three, so maybe I can give you some insight or something. The two books aren't bad at all (at least to me).

I recommend you read them rather than ask people online about what they think. You know, discovery learning and all that. Go and see for yourself if you're really on the fence. Read, like, ten pages and if you hate it, chuck it. If you end up liking it, then continue. That way, you won't waste time.

14. muscle979

muscle979 Member

The Hunger Games themselves.

15. Kio

Kio New Member

I hate giving spoilers, but here it goes:

there is a second Hunger Games in Catching Fire. The third book, Mockingjay, does not have the Hunger Games, but, personally, they totally make up for it

I see what you mean though. After I finished the first book, I was like, "How is Collins going to keep it up if the Games are over?" I was pleasantly surprised. By the end of the second book, I wondered how Collins was going to keep me interested. Again, I was pleasantly surprised and it turned out to be my favourite book. It's a lot like the final book of Harry Potter; the last book was so different, yet it managed to keep me satisfied and happy. It was still Harry Potter to me, even if it was
    no longer set in Hogwarts

16. ENJOY

ENJOY Member

I would disagree I think the The Mockingjay was the best of the three books

17. Daydream

Daydream Contributor Contributor

Its definitely worth reading. Bit of a depressing ending though :S Like previously said it's really interesting how she keeps the series going after the game, but I really didn't like the ending...

18. falloutgirl99

falloutgirl99 New Member

DEFINITELY keep reading.

19. sjbullard

sjbullard New Member

I liked the first one, but they got progressively worse. It was very vapid and I couldn't get to care about the characters.

20. Snap228

Snap228 New Member

I really enjoyed the second book, in fact, it was my favorite of the three. The third was a disappointment, though.