Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

Thor...a Woman?

Discussion in 'Debate Room' started by Lewdog, Jul 15, 2014.

Apparently Marvel is changing Thor, the god of Thunder who wields Mjolnir, into a woman. Are you ok with this? Personally I can see the creation of a new character, but taking such an iconic character and changing the gender doesn't sit well with me. No, it's not because I'm a misogynist, it's because I'm a traditionalist, and not only does it not make sense in the Marvel Universe, it doesn't make sense with Norse mythology.

https://movies.yahoo.com/news/marvels-thor-now-woman-comics-studio-announces-152500532.html

Duchess-Yukine-Suoh likes this.
  2. Wreybies

Wreybies The Ops Pops Operations Manager Staff Contest Administrator Supporter Contributor

Rule #63

No exceptions.

[​IMG]

3. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Why not? Thor/Odin in the Elder Edda dressed like a woman all the time. In fact, he once dressed as a woman to seduce a giant to giving him is hammer/penis back in one of the most ingeniously hilarious poems in the whole Edda.

Jack Asher likes this.
  4. obsidian_cicatrix

obsidian_cicatrix I ink, therefore I am. Contributor

First I've heard. A friend of a friend's husband, Adi Granov, draws Thor, amongst others, for Marvel. I'm sitting here wondering what he's making of it. It says the character is modelling herself after Thor... hardly the same as actually being Thor, so I'll keep an open mind for now, I think.

5. Lewdog

But at the end of the day he is still a man. If the idea was to use a Norse mythology character, there are several other ones out there they could have used instead. In my mind it isn't just a Marvel character they are taking liberties with, but there is an entire part of history that is connected with it. It's not the same as other characters that are entirely fictional like Superman, Batman, Mr. Fantastic, etc.

To me it would be the same as taking Wonderwoman and turning her into a man. It wouldn't make sense because she was an Amazonian, which were all women.

6. Wreybies

Wreybies The Ops Pops Operations Manager Staff Contest Administrator Supporter Contributor

And if I remember my mythology correctly, Loki was fond of swapping genders and also species from time to time. Sleipnir, Odin's horse, was born of Loki after Loki took an epic (literal and literary) horse-pounding from Svaðilfari. ;)

7. Lewdog

But how do you even give a gender to a shapeshifter? So was Loki even male to begin with?

8. Wreybies

The fun in the fiction of such a thing is the challenge of re-writing the backstory so that it fits. Just slapping a pair of boobs on Thor doesn't cut it for Rule #63. You have to go the distance. A correctly done female Thor would have a tweaked backstory that makes her possible. Wonderman would simply come from the island of Priapus instead of Lesbos and the story would be written thusly from there.

9. Lewdog

They've already updated the post with some new information:

https://tv.yahoo.com/blogs/tv-news/-the-view--s-marvel-announcement--thor-s-gonna-be-a-woman--164524340.html

10. Lemex

Yes, actually, you are right. :p You don't often credit the Norse people with being sexual progressives. :p

I think Loki was always a male, but I'm not sure.

11. Wreybies

Even in the un-Marvel-ized mythos of Loki, though he is a shapeshifter, his basic nature is understood to be that of a dude.

12. Lewdog

Neither do you the Russians, but there was always Catherine the Great. :rofl:

Lemex likes this.
  13. Jack Asher

Jack Asher Wildly experimental Contributor

He was married twice and fathered children with both wives, there's no mention of him giving birth, which seems to be the defining role of women in myth.

14. Lemex

Just checked Wikipedia. Loki was always a male.

15. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Staff Supporter Contributor

Who is being served by this decision? Thor was always male in the comics and changing him will likely alienate a sizable percentage of the fans. Will any new fans come on board with a female Thor?

And will Thor's personality change? I liked the Thor in the original Norse stories. He wasn't so much a hero as a buffoon, immensely powerful but often a drunken fool. They kept a bit of that in the comics. The comic-book Thor is still an egotistical, glory-hungry hammer-first-think-later kind of guy. Will the female Thor have the same character flaws? Or will they whitewash her so she's perfect?

Andrae Smith likes this.
  16. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributing Member Contributor

As best I can tell from the links, it's not that "Hey, you know that Thor guy? He was a woman all along. You thought he was a man? No, you're just having memory lapses." Instead, it sounds more like Thor has been fired and his permanent replacement is a woman.

I don't know if that will end up being good storytelling or not, but I don't see a fundamental problem with it, the way I would see a fundamental problem with rewriting the past history of an established character.

17. Garball

Garball Sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand. Supporter Contributor

If they model her after Red Sonja, I'll watch it at least forty-seven times.

18. outsider

outsider Contributing Member Contributor

Thusly?:rolleyes:

If this thread is correct, I predict that The Sun will run a story on it with the headline: PHOWAR! in a typical example of none too subtle, misogynistic word play.

19. Jack Asher

Jack Asher Wildly experimental Contributor

Hey remember when everyone freaked out because Spider Man was going to be hispanic? And then it turned out he was Spider Man in a different dimension? When Captain America died? Or when Batman had his back broken? Or when Superman died?

They are comic books, the only thing that stays the same, is that everything stays the same.

ManOrAstroMan and Andrae Smith like this.
  20. Lewdog

I really don't know, didn't they recently turn some other male character into a lesbian Middle Eastern woman? Is this just becoming some kind of fad that Marvel thinks will attract new readers?

21. Nilfiry

Nilfiry Contributing Member

Such a betrayal to the common image of Thor. Why could they not just use another Norse Goddess? Let us see Idun as a Superhero! She would look beautiful and graceful while she bombarded the villains with a rain of apples, and with every villain she defeats, a new apple tree would grow. Her signature weapon would be a golden apple that can grant immortality or take it away.

22. minstrel

Is there any art showing up yet? What does she look like? Is she some babe in a leather Norse bikini with a hammer? I mean, are they just trying to sell Sexy-Thor to thirteen-year-old boys?

23. Lewdog

Well if you follow the link, you'll see she does have one heck of a breast plate.

24. minstrel

I can't believe that's the character, though. She's kind of hideous, and she holds the hammer like it's a kitchen implement. And she's not wearing a bikini. So thirteen-year-old boys won't buy it, and sales will be effectively zero, and Marvel isn't that stupid.

Or maybe they are. Who knows?

25. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributing Member Contributor

Thirteen-year-old girls get allowances too. :) I don't know if there's any chance that they'd buy a comic with a female Thor, but it might be worth a shot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.