1. JCKey618

JCKey618 Member

Those who use this site regularly for feedback-do you worry about idea 'stealing?'

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by JCKey618, Feb 12, 2009.

For example, I just wrote out a post for the plot creation thread on this project I'm thinking of undertaking, but then I thought that anyone can register on this site and peruse the topics. I don't think my idea is the next hot thing and I may not even write it, but I do consider it unique in some ways.

So, in a nutshell, do you ever worry about people 'stealing' your ideas? And in no way am I questioning the intentions of the regulars of this site, but, as I said, anyone can register and its easy to see someone going to sites like this, surfing for ideas.

Also, what kind of protection does the internet hold in terms of plagiarism anyway? For example, if I post a short story here for review and then I see it published later in some magazine by someone else, do I have any automatic rights to that story when I posted it on the net or is it up for grabs?

2. AnonyMouse

AnonyMouse Contributor Contributor

"An idea is only as good as the person writing it." I'm sure the untold masses will show up soon enough and repeat that phrase ad nausium. But, if you have something you feel is truly special, keep your mouth shut about it. That's my policy. I like sharing as much as the next guy, but it would suck to see somebody jack my idea and write it better than I could. It's a thin line to walk.

As for the plagiarism thing, there isn't a whole lot you can do other than contact the site admins and get digital proof of when you posted the work. But you still have to verify that the poster was "you," which can be kinda tough sometimes. There are threads about this elsewhere on the forum that go into greater detail.

3. Gannon

Gannon Contributor Contributor

I direct you to this thread which covers the issue comprehensively: http://writingforums.org/showthread.php?t=18482

In summary, we cannot confirm that your ideas will not be stolen and as such do not recommend you post any complete work that you intend to submit for publication. Also be aware that by posting any complete work on the site you may lose the first publication right that most publishers seek.

It is a better idea to post extracts for comment or discuss ideas and plots in general so as not to endanger any piece you may wish to submit. Although, posting extracts may still not place you in publishers' favour.

In all liklihood however, with regards to your question, and with the greatest respect, it is very unikley that you would post something that would be stolen. Please see the linked thread for this in more detail.

4. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

This subject has been discussed many times in the forum. Use the "Search" function on the menu bar and enter a few words related to the subject. It will return lots of prior threads with some excellent points of view. (yes, this is a cut'n paste message)

5. cwpcreator

cwpcreator New Member

Kind of. That's why I only posted the first chapter which has been modified at this point. I would love to post up more as most of my friends and family don't have the kind of time required to read my stuff and make informed critiques of it, but alas, I don't dare.

Plot ideas see okay to post to me because it's just an idea, not a story. Look at all of the published works and how many of them have the same basic idea, but when read are completely different to the point that nobody even recognizes the similarities.

6. tehuti88

tehuti88 New Member

People are hardly interested in reading my ideas, much less stealing them, so that's not really a worry of mine. Plus, since I don't tend to plot my stories out entirely before writing them, even if somebody "stole" an idea of mine, their execution of it would probably be a whole lot different from what I'd do.

I'm more concerned about theft of my writing itself.

7. Arrow

Arrow New Member

Isn't there a publication "out there" that presents all of the themes and storylines ever written? Its premise is something along the lines of there are no new ideas, only variations on a finite amount. Can anyone lead me to this book?