1. Manny

Manny New Member

Layout advice from those familiar with Lulu please.

Discussion in 'Self-Publishing' started by Manny, Jan 25, 2008.

I have some questions about my format I am undecided about. I have been perusing the Lulu forums but there is often a download location given as a reply, which does not seem to work for me. Size is 6x9".

Font in MS Word - Size 12 Garamond, line spaced at 1.5 looks OK to me. Opinions please?

Chapter headings - Capital letters and bold, is this OK? Should they be in the centre or on the left?

Should one indent the first line of the first paragraph in a new chapter? I am thinking I should but it seems to look better without.

I was advised recently here that one should have two spaces after a full stop before the capital letter of the next word. Is this necessary, as when one justifies the text will this not elongate that double space too much?

Can someone direct me to a link specifying how the copyright page should be laid out please?

In non fiction, 15 chapters - Would you have the chapter name in the header or not?

2. flashgordon

flashgordon New Member

Manny, you've got a series of questions here.

1) If at all possible, don't do your layout in Word - use InDesign or Quark. They are professional typesetting programs that are made for just this.

2) A lot of you questions are stylistic. If you are going the Lulu route, then you can lay out your bookblock however you want. Generally there are a few "rules" that one should follow: don't use underlining, single space after a period, headings should be in a sans-serif font, text should be in a serif font but not Times New Roman as that is overly used, margins of the book should be at least .5 and .75 on the inner sides (so that when it is bound, the extra .25 gets eaten up by the spine), etc.

There are several good books out there on typesetting. As for copyright page material, look at books and just follow their guidelines. There is no rule, but basically you want to list the date, ISBN, a do not copy disclaimer, and address of the publisher (if you are just using Lulu to print).

3. Manny

Manny New Member

Thanks Flash, was everyone on holiday? :p

4. Charisma

Charisma Transposon Contributor

Actually, server problems had discouraged people from replying. We weren't on holiday - the resort was.