Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Supporter Contributor

Thoughts with people in Paris

Discussion in 'Debate Room' started by Steerpike, Nov 13, 2015.

2. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

Sad indeed, I think it goes to show that there is nothing that is going to be accomplished to stop terrorism until all the major countries of the world work together to eradicate it. Thank goodness to the news that Jihadist John was killed in a U.S. drone air strike. One down many more to go.

3. Solar

Solar Contributing Member Contributor

Have they actually got "Jihadi John's" body? Its properly confirmed? Or just a statement being made?

4. Lewdog

It's been widely reported and it's been said that his friends have confirmed it.

I'm watching reports about what is going on, and they are saying this isn't in response to "Jihadi John's" death because this must have been planned out for weeks.

5. Solar

Oh, I see, it's been widely reported. It must be true then. And his friends were actually there? They saw the body?
    They identified it?

6. Steerpike

Dude, don't turn a thread about the attacks in Paris into snarky bickering about Jihad John. It's in poor taste.

7. Solar

Oh, so getting at truth is snarky bickering? So these things aren't important? So when someone makes a statement
    about an alleged event, it can't be questioned? I'm not turning the thread into anything. It is what it is. You can ignore
    me. You don't have to read the words.

8. Lewdog

Wow, just wow. I feel for the people in Paris and what they are dealing with right now. I also feel for you Solar, and hope you can find some kid of internal calmness. :agreed:

Things are not over in Paris yet as we speak. They say there is 60-100 people still being held hostage in a theater. I hope they can save them, but who knows what is going to happen when dealing terrorists. Terrorists usually don't just give themselves up.

Acanthophis likes this.
  9. Steerpike

Thanks @Lewdog. I'm guessing @Solar is a kid, since I can't think of anyone out of adolescence who would behave that way (OK, well maybe he's Donald Trump but apart from that...).

I hope they get everything under control in Paris.

matwoolf, Acanthophis and Ben414 like this.
  10. Lewdog

The news is saying that the President of France has said that some of the blasts were suicide bombings.

11. Steerpike

I read that online as well, in addition to a claim that ISIS is claiming responsibility, though its so early that I don't know how reliable these kinds of reports can be.

12. Lewdog

The government won't give credit to anyone yet, but they said that with as coordinated and well-planned as things were, that this has to be an attack from one of the major terrorist groups. The news just also reported that the police raided the concert hall just now.

13. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Senseless, and so sad.

14. Lea`Brooks

Lea`Brooks Contributing Member Contributor

It's just terrible. :bigfrown: I don't think I'll ever understand terrorists. Senselessly murdering people for what? Hopefully they'll be able to rescue the hostages with no more loss of life.

Haze-world likes this.
  15. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

100 or more hostages taken out of the building by police, still more trapped.

16. Steerpike

Hopefully. Though it seems like people like this are determined to take as many innocents down as possible. Our office manager is in France right now, though she isn't supposed to be in Paris (supposed to be heading into Switzlerland tomorrow). I suspect she's going to be delayed in getting out of the country.

17. Steerpike

I hope they can get people out of the hall safely.

18. BrianIff

BrianIff I'm so piano, a bad punctuator. Contributor

While maintaining respect for the dead, injured, and at risk, this war gets one-sided coverage: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/09/09/exclusive-50-spies-say-isis-intelligence-was-cooked.html
    Anyways, if anyone knows any good resources about why defeating them will accomplish anything in a corner of the world that constantly replaces one group as soon as the other goes, I want to hear the argument. But an open-ended war on these extremists seems to make these tragedies inevitable -- par for the course. If justice is blind, what's she feeling on the scales?

Greenwood, matwoolf and Imaginarily like this.
  19. Steerpike

Apparently a number of explosions followed the police entry into the hall.

20. Lewdog

According to Yahoo, things did not go well in the concert hall. This is sad indeed but I expected as much from terrorists.

- Among the dead, AFP reports 100 concertgoers killed during a siege at Bataclan concert hall.The U.S. band, Eagles of Death Metal, were performing a sold-out concert at the venue, which is near the offices of Charlie Hebdo. A witness at Bataclan tells AFP an attacker shouted "This is for Syria".

http://news.yahoo.com/live-blog-fatalities-reported-after-explosion-shootout-in-paris-214128710.html?nf=1

21. Necronox

Necronox Active Member

Sad, and so pointless. There has always been people attacking other people simply because they a different, but in all honesty, what has that ever actually achieved?

Do we know which group or country (official or otherwise) these attackers belong to?

I wonder how France and the world will react to this on the international, political and military stage.

Haze-world likes this.
  22. Lewdog

Well if it is true that the attackers yelled, "This is for Syria," then in all likelihood it was ISIS that performed the attacks. President of the U.S. Obama has already said in a news conference that he will support France in anyway they need it.

23. X Equestris

X Equestris Contributing Member Contributor

I've heard comparisons to the Mumbai attacks, and based on the organization, scale, and execution I'd say those comparisons aren't too far off the mark. CNN's reporting at least 149 deaths the last time I checked.

No idea who they are affiliated with yet. Last I heard no one has taken responsibility, though ISIS was congratulatory. And the BBC reported that some of those who escaped the concert hall said the attackers were yelling Islamist slogans, so we can conclude they're likely Islamic terrorists of some sort.

France might step up its airstrikes against ISIS. I think they've limited themselves to Iraq so far. They might expand those strikes to Syria.

24. Lewdog

Pretty soon you are going to be seeing many countries step up their air strikes on Syria, and probably Afghanistan as well. I'm not a political analyst, or any kind of military planner, but I am not sure if there is really a way to defeat terrorism. How do you stop groups of people that don't care if they die? How do you stop people that have sociopath type personalities that don't care what they do to other people?

jannert likes this.
  25. BrianIff

BrianIff I'm so piano, a bad punctuator. Contributor

My country has chosen to quit the mission even though we have had people kill our soldiers here on behalf of ISIL. That the new leader that was elected. I have no problem with humanitarian intervention, but it's selective -- money talks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.