Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mesuno

Mesuno New Member

Change to signatures?

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Mesuno, Jan 19, 2009.

Hi folks,

I went to try and update my signature and found that some of the tags which I had previously used are no longer allowed, specifically

the CENTRE and SIZE tags

Is this a deliberate change? I haven't seen anything about it.

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Some tags are disallowed to keep people from making billboard signatures. As far as I know, there has been no formal announcement as to what the exact signature restrictions are. CENTER would be spelled CENTER, though (US English spellings).

3. Mesuno

Mesuno New Member

Thanks for the response Cogito

The reason I'm asking is that the one which I currently displayed under my text (the one I'm trying to update) is no longer permitted, where it obviously was before otherwise I wouldn't have been able to enter it.

In particular - it is CENTERed, the middle link is slightly larger (SIZE).

Have there been problems with billboard style signatures or is this some default setting change which has slipped through with a software update or something. I know some forums do need to restrict signatures but would have thought that a deliberate change to policy would have been advertised.

4. zorell

zorell New Member

There have, especially when people post one-line responses yet take up your screen simply because of their siggies.

It's been mentioned many a time, but these are the restrictions for those of us without special title(s):
    3 lines max
    long lines will attribute to this line maximum
    only one image, and I believe links count as images (unsure on that, but why push it?)
    the images are confined to a certain size as well (about that of any other image on the sight)
    (as with everything else) keep it appropriate
    and don't ladle it with links to other sights, that's just kinda rude when you think about it

if I amwrong on any of this, you can check the FAQ link at the top of your page or the set of links in the top right corner of the home page, "Important Links."

Hope I've been helpful:D

5. Mesuno

Mesuno New Member

Ah, found the section in the FAQ

Signatures
    Site signatures are allowed as long as they do not contain any explicitly sexual content or contain strong language. You can include up to two links, and no images are allowed. Text sizes must be the default size or smaller, and you can have up to three colors included.

Looks like I'm at fault wrt the bit I've highlighted red. My link is currently a slightly larger font size.

I'm not sure how you are supposed to get smaller than default size though, as the tag for making it smaller is the same as making it larger - SIZE - and is totally disabled.

Also, there is nothing in there about not using CENTER, but the CENTER tag is disabled.

6. zorell

zorell New Member

My best advice for you is, if you like your current sig, do not return to edit your signature.

7. Mesuno

Mesuno New Member

Just a shame I don't want to link there any more - I'll miss the CENTER though, couldn't care less about the other bits :(

8. S-wo

S-wo Active Member

images are allowed? As far as I've seen I've seen no one with an image in their sig. I suggest that we allow them, but if enormous sizes are an issue. You can set limits on the size of the signatures, so they won't take up as much space.

9. zorell

zorell New Member

THen edit your signature and do not touch the current Center Tag in the writing...or learn the code and hope it doesn't pick up on it;)

10. Cogito

Images in signatures were only allowed with the site owner's permission. There are a couple members with sig images, but it is a practice that is discourages and will probably be phased out.

Come on, folks, signatures are supposed to be compact, to deliver personal information or a short personal message without taking up a bunch of page space. The reason that they have become more restrictive is that some members were really going overboard with their signatures.

11. othman

othman New Member

Hmm, I liked in it in another forum I used to go on where you were allowed an image of about 350 by 150 and one like of text or about four lines of text, and as I used to be a GIMP master I made awesome sigs ... but hey ho, we'll live *sigh*.

12. soujiroseta

soujiroseta Contributor Contributor

this signature issue has always been confusing for me because i've always been disallowed the limit of three lines or whatever. right now my sig is just under the limit.

13. Mesuno

Mesuno New Member

Quite - There seem to be a fair few people who can still change their sigs to things that I can't. The guy above yours for one. I also saw someone who had created their sig in the past three days (it linked to a post that was only that old) that had different sized text through it and substantially more than three lines.

Now I'm not saying that I want a sig thats half a page long, but if there is going to be a hard restriction on some people why isn't it the same for others?

And as far as the argument about screen space goes; the majority of messages contain large amounts of blank space because the picture and profile information on the left is usually substantially longer than the text in the message.

14. othman

othman New Member

Yeah, the reason how I have over three lines is because my sig is quite old and when I deleted it to write a new one (which was over three lines) it wouldn't let me...I think I'll try a different method...and yeah With the profile pic, and information below that three lines of sigs with a short message doesn't go past the profile info. Oh, and if it's a long post then what would a couple of more lines matter?

15. Cogito

On my screen, your post is four lines long, and your sig takes up eight lines. It's not as huge a distortion of content vs. "hey look at me!" as I've seen, but it is a bit on the bulky side for a signature.

The mods don't want to have to be signature police, and usually we keeps hands off unless there's a complaint (or adverstisement links/offensive content).

But you won't get a lot of sympathy for "I wanted more in my sig but it wouldn't let me." Similarly, when someone says, "But Mikey's sig is bigger than mine!"

Forgive my bluntness, but we really do have bigger issues to deal with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.