Tags:
  1. Daedalus

Daedalus Active Member

Breaking Out of a Secure Facility

Discussion in 'Research' started by Daedalus, Jul 11, 2010.

Okay, here's the jist:

I have a team of soldiers trapped inside a bio-safety laboratory in an underground base. They're in the the BSL-1 section, closed behind two doors. One leads to the BSL-2 labs, the other back to the "safe zone". The control console for the door leading to the safe zone has been smashed. The one leading to the BSL-2 section requires a fingerprint and retinal scan. None of the soldiers are registered. The doors are made of 100mm-thick bullet-resistant glass. The facility is designed to house the worst biological and chemical agents known to man -- "hot agents", for which there are no known cures. Therefore, the doors can withstand a barrage of bullets and the soldiers have a limited supply and no explosive devices.

To make matters worse, the CDC agent with the soldiers has discovered that trace amounts of the nerve gas "Novichok" has been released into their area. This particular agent is the most deadly nerve gas on the planet, able to, over time, pervade the chemical protection suits the soldiers and the CDC agent are wearing. They have about fifty minutes before it breaks down the protective seal on their suits and kills them.

I've got my guys into the worst possible situation. Problem now is: I can't, for the life of me, figure out how the hell I'm going to get them out. Can someone help me brainstorm a few ideas; see if it gives me an idea?

Thank you.

2. w176

w176 Contributor Contributor

Human error.
    Even at top security facilities people make human errors, and they exploit something simple like that to make the way out.

3. Daedalus

Daedalus Active Member

Sorry, let me elaborate: They are the only humans left in the facility. They're a response team sent in to investigate the base after a terrorist attack. All the workers are dead, and the one remaining terrorist has locked them inside a place with no viable exit.

4. w176

w176 Contributor Contributor

Well looking at how the pro get into high security facilities for reals is probably still a good idea. If you are looking at research.

Keys, keycards, passwords, etc lying around, wounarble eletrical systems, stupid design flaws on door etc is probably the way to go, and that is still human errors.

5. hoddsykins

hoddsykins New Member

they could get though the doors with some C-4, but they would have to be a bit of a way back from it, but blowing the door up is something the army does, (but i'm not sure if they use C-4)

6. Unit7

Unit7 Contributor Contributor

With a strong enough caliber and enough rounds, you could probably blast right through that bullet resistant glass. Its not like this stuff can't be destroyed it just... takes a awhile. That is if I understood the article correctly.

You could always have them find a guy who is dead who could open the doors.

Of course you could always make one of your Response Team a super elite hacker. Who can try and beat the system. Such a facility would never be connected to the outside through computers. It would be very much a Closed Network. But because they would be inside... well they could pull some hacker magic out their ass and save the day! Of course you would have to go back and mention his skills previously to this. Something about a character magically having such a skill set without prior mention would seem... sorta cheap.

Hm.

Its easy getting our characters into hell, but its so much harder getting them out. lol

7. Laser Sailor

Laser Sailor New Member

In "The Andromeda Strain" Crichton writes a suspensful scene in which, members trapped in a similar bio lab shut down the self destruct by climbing through a central core.

Perhaps this lab has some kind of "central core" (as a plot device) it could be an air vent that leads through a series of filter rooms to the surface or an elevator shaft used to move samples between levels. These could be very small, all you have to do is get one guy out, he can open the doors for the rest of the team . . . or not.