1. PeterC

PeterC Active Member

rostrum vs dais?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by PeterC, Feb 4, 2013.

I'm looking for a word to describe an imposing, elevated platform from which a distinguished speaker would address a large hall. In my case it's a permanent structure built out from the wall in a hall with a high ceiling, stone pillars, and so forth. "Stage" doesn't work for me because it sounds too theatrical and that's not the context at all. My vocabulary is weak (and yes, I should do something about that), but it seems like either "rostrum" or "dais" would be appropriate. I find myself leaning toward "rostrum" but I'm not sure. I'm wondering if anyone has any comments about the relative pomp and circumstance of those two words.

Thanks!

Peter

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

You could use dais, but what about a grand balcony. Add the grandeur with description, such as the honor guard surrounding him or bunting and flags. Or the vestments of office: a ruler's crown, a military dictator's uniform, a religious leader's miter, robes, and stole, a scholar's robes and hood, etc.

3. PeterC

PeterC Active Member

Thanks for your thoughts. The idea of a grand balcony is good. I'll have to consider that a little more. Right now I have two seats for minor officials on either side of the main structure. I'm not sure how that would go with a balcony but I could probably work something out.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

instead of using a label, why not simply describe it?