1. Rosa

Rosa New Member

Time between posting and reviewing

Discussion in 'Revision and Editing' started by Rosa, Jan 11, 2012.

Is there a recommended(or maximum) time for critiquing someone's work after a piece has been posted for review?

2. TheIllustratedMan

TheIllustratedMan Active Member

As soon as possible?

I seem to remember reading something about it, but I think that the general rule of thumb is: if the user has been active within a reasonable amount of time (say, within the last week or two), it doesn't really matter how long ago the piece was posted. If that user has disappeared, it's beneficial to you to critique it for practice, but it doesn't do the author any good (since they are long gone) and could clutter the field for work by active users.
    So, I'd say that if you're going to critique something that's fairly old (maybe a month or more), check to see if the user is still active. If not, go ahead and critique it in notepad and save it for yourself, but don't actually post it. If they've been active lately, post away!

3. Rosa

Rosa New Member

Thank you for the info. I did try searching but couldnt find anything on time limit.
    I have a review sitting on my desktop and wondered if it is too late to post. Again, thank you. :)

4. TheIllustratedMan

TheIllustratedMan Active Member

You got it. I'm not sure that there's a hard, fast rule, so what I gave you was just my take on it.

I'm feeling awfully opinionated today...

5. astroannie

astroannie New Member

What is the easiest way to determine if somone is recently active? I"m not adept at vBulletin but I imagine there is some way or it wouldn't be suggested.

6. SunnyDays

SunnyDays New Member

Their last activities will be posted on their profile

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Critique whenever you want. Most likely, you will learn more from writing the critique than the author will from reading it Iif he or she ever does).

That's the real point of the workshop - to learn how to analyze a piece of writing for possible improvements. When you are comfortable enough with the process, you will use it to improve your own writing.

8. Rosa

Rosa New Member

Will certainly do so. Up to now, I've mostly been reading through other people's reviews and have learned a fair amount just by doing that.

Thanks again.