1. Liza

Liza Active Member

Time Help?

Discussion in 'Research' started by Liza, Aug 3, 2011.

I'm sorry if I posted in the wrong board, but I have a little... dilemma. I've been trying to decide on a timeline somehere between the 1830's and the 1900's, for my book but I don't even know where to start. Help would be greatly appreciated.

I wanted a timeline where women had little rights, and was before World War II (and WWI, I guess.) Where they still wore long (ish) dresses. Telephones don't matter, although I'd prefer no cars, not really. Oh, and yes, when you could live in America.

Could anyone point me in the right direction, in forms of time? I'd be forever grateful.

2. AJSmith

AJSmith New Member

Women didn't get the vote until 1920
    I don't believe they started changing their dressing habits too much until somewhere around this time

WWI didn't start until 1914
    I believe cars became a factor around the turn of the century

The civil war was 1861-65

So basically, anything from 1830-the turn of the century sounds like it would fit what you are looking for. Google some of the items you asked about and do some reading up. :) You can try some of the below terms

'women's suffrage'
    'WWI'
    'WWII'
    'first car'
    'history of women's dress'

Edited to add: I think this post should be in the plot research section. :)

3. AveryWhite

AveryWhite Active Member

thatss like the earlian victorian era. im doing a book in this timeline too.

so yeah about 1830's time region i think. up until about 1860's i guess but not sure might have to find out more about that. :)

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

This is a research question. It has nothing to do with how to critique writing. Thread moved.

5. Liza

Liza Active Member

But I didn't put it in reviewing, somebody moved it there, Cogito. I put it in Plot Creation originally.

And I think that the 1830's sound perfect for my book, thank you AJSmith!