1. Norule

Norule New Member

I have an idea

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Norule, Mar 14, 2011.

I got this idea for a plot, a squad of soldiers being attacked. two of them managing to get themselves into a house. Holding up there against an unbeatable opponent.

Im thinking that one of them is injuried (not the MC) and that you get to know the MC abit better with flashback"ish" dreams or something.

The story of a small force trying to hold of a much greater force.

What do you think sounds interesting at all?

2. Arathald

Arathald New Member

I think it sounds very interesting. The key to this one would be building very deep characters, and you'll certainly need quite a bit of internal conflict to keep the story going. I personally don't think relegating the bulk of the character development to flashbacks is necessarily the way to go, though I could certainly see him telling his buddy some stories to pass the time as they are holding up there waiting.

3. tiggertaebo

tiggertaebo Member

Sounds pretty interesting.. it's essentially very similar to the premise of the film Dog Soldiers and it worked pretty well there. The only thing I would say is that I'd have more of them make it to the house as it gives you a greater number of avenues to explore.

4. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

I like the sound of it - perhaps my favourite example is Rolf Harris Two Little Boys (song) it has me in tears everytime.

5. Norule

Norule New Member

Thanks for some feedback, i havent seen Dog soldiers might see it so i can get a feeling for what they did and not do exactly the same.

Though i was thinking of starting the story with the MC bursting through the door to the house or what it will be.

Could do some kind of Tarantino thing maybe going back to earlier in the day later in the story. If im making any sence.

6. Ellipse

Ellipse Contributor Contributor

Dog Soldiers is a good movie. Blackhawk Down is another that might help you with what you are trying to do.

7. Jammo

Jammo New Member

I think it sounds very interesting, go for it!

8. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A story concept means nothing. I can tell you now, it has all been done before. What matters is how you write it, the characterization, the flow, the imagery, all of it.

There's no benefit in asking what other people think of the concept! They'll either say,"Sounds great," or, "it sounds like a ripoff of..."

If the idea stirs you, write it. Then ask people what they think of the final story. After they tell you what they don't like about it, revise it, usually several times, until you're happy with it or until you throw up your hands and say the hell with it.

Please read What is Plot Creation and Development?

9. Momo

Momo New Member

I've always liked the 'few against many' angle. It makes for some very powerful and moving scenes (movies and books (hell, even songs)).

Also, Cogito, (even though I know your reply is a cookie-cutter response) I think it's great for people to share their concepts. Not only do they get very helpful suggestions from others of similar works that they can learn from, but it is also an invaluable experience to be able to read through concepts that others are growing and developing. It inspires, it plants tiny seeds for other ideas in other people. If it doesn't inspire, it reminds us sometimes of concepts we've put on hold, characters we've promised to use but later forgot about. I think there is a great benefit in asking what others think of our concepts, not only for us but to those reading. I'm pretty sure your response isn't meant to be taken as "don't share your ideas because it's pointless" (and if it is then... how bland :p) but I've seen you use that response many times and just wanted to share my thoughts. :)

1 person likes this.
  10. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

The reason it os a template response is because the situation comes up all too frequently.

I stand by my response. There is no benefit in asking opinions of a plot synopsis, for the reasons given.

A good writer can make an interesting story out of nearly any story concept. A poor writer can turn the most intriquing story concept into a disaster.

The best thing for nearly all the people who post these threads is to lose the obsession with hashing out a concept ab initio, and to stop seeking approval before diving in and developing the story through writing and rewriting it.

11. Momo

Momo New Member

I can't help but feel that you're expecting way too little from people when you preemptively decide that everyone's response will fit into a simple, "Sounds great," or, "it sounds like a ripoff of..."

Fortunately for the writing community (and in blissful opposition to your module), this thread seems to have been filled with some really great suggestions and comments. I don't mean to turn this thread into an argument and realize that it has potential of going there, but I don't think that a single template making such a bold statement as "There's no benefit in asking what other people think of the concept!" should be so immediately attached to every thread of this nature. I found that I benefited from reading this and I'm willing to bet that Norule has as well.

Anyway, back to the original topic as not to shy too far away from the point. The concept has some great potential (as previously mentioned :p)! Lately I seem to like smaller settings in what I read. Bringing people into tight enclosed spaces makes for some great opportunities of character development. Betrayal, also, is an interesting flavor to add when everyone relies on the others for survival. :)

12. KillianRussell

KillianRussell New Member

I agree obsessing over plot while ignoring character and tone while deliberating ad infinitum over plot synopsis is an exercise in futility.

13. lost123

lost123 New Member

"What do you think sounds interesting at all?"
    No, it doesn't sound interesting. But you could improve the plot and make it more interesting.

14. Momo

Momo New Member

I completely agree, Killian, that obsessing over nearly anything is detrimental to any goal. However, I don't think that anyone is obsessively deliberating any topic here. This thread has a single focus and it is the concept of a potential story. I know, though, that there are people who obsess entirely too much over particular details or components of writing and I suppose it is indeed helpful for someone to step in with insight into potentially hazardous habits. I find it slightly frustrating though to see people who immediately conclude that ANY and ALL threads started to discuss a concept or idea are uniformly pointless and labeled as an example of "obsession".

I guess I was overcome with the vain desire to explain myself and the thread is suffering from this, oh noes! I'm done commenting on this thread (unless I think of other comments/suggestions for Norule, of course:p)!

Thanks! :D

15. Norule

Norule New Member

I want to thank everyone for the responses and suggestions.

I would like to add that i have not obsessed about the plot. Its just something i have been thinking about at work. In my oppinion bouncing ideas against people is a great way to evolve your story.

And if you are unsure wheter to start writing something or not (even though you shouldnt be, you should write whatever you like) its a way to get your idea down on papper (internet) and give you some motivation to write.

Thanks again everyone

16. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

Norule discussing a plot is great - I have several novel length ideas out of it - I discuss my work with other writers all the time and it allows me to have ideas I would not have had without that facility.

Also at the start you either have a plot that makes characters or characters that tell the story - I have two new plot driven stories planned which is different to the ones where I started with characters.

In all the plot creation posts I have posted, my stories have benefitted greatly and I have two new plots and novel length stories/series planned. I bounce my plot ideas with other ladies on a regular basis and they do theirs. They don't write my books, I don't write theirs but yes the plots and stories benefit. Without help yesterday I wouldn't have come up with the names of my two detectives yesterday and a fabulous title for the murder mystery which has spawned a whole new story.

It is also very beneficial when it comes to writing synopsis and introductory letters to be able to summarise your plot for others from the start.