1. Eutheria

Eutheria New Member

Too Gimicky?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Eutheria, Mar 29, 2010.

I have decided to use a prologue for one of my stories. Yes people have reservations concerning them but that isn't my concern at the moment. Is it too gimicky to write the prologue as a transcript, like 911 tapes? It would allow me to avoid narrator bias as well as avoid the context of the event which would be revealed later.

2. HorusEye

HorusEye Contributor Contributor

If it serves a literary purpose I wouldn't call anything a gimmick.

3. Eutheria

Eutheria New Member

The change in format might seem weird. Transcripts are done Name: Words as opposed to Name said, "Words."

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

it wouldn't be 'weird' at all... it's done all the time, with news items, reports, etc. and using the 'real world' format is the only way to make it work...

this can be an effective way to drop the reader right into the story from the get-go... but it wouldn't be a 'prologue'... just do it as a block indent and follow with the text of your first chapter...

5. SeattleWriter

SeattleWriter New Member

gimmick?

It wouldn't be a bad thing as long as it flows and is workable for the rest of the story. I have read a few books that have things like that in them and sometimes they can get a little long winded because there is nothing but transcript. Just a cautionary warning so you can keep it in mind.

6. Sillraaia

Sillraaia New Member

If that is what you feel your story needs, then run with it. try it. see if it works. if it doesn't, trash it.
    A lot of writing is instinctual. People might say noooo dont do that, that is forbidden! -- but really, only YOU can know what works in your own story, because only you know your own voice.

plz excuse lack of punctuation, typing with one hand, baby in the other.