Time to revert to the old site?

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Steerpike, Oct 1, 2011.

1. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

I'm trying to solve this issue. I've reduced the number of queries to the database that certain pages load. I think the most likely cause is too many queries from the new software version. I will continue to look into the issue and have opened a support ticket with the software support team.

2. Manav

Manav New Member

It's getting worse today and yesterday.... I am not able to open the website at all... my connection is fine as I am opening other websites easily. I hope this will be posted and not get a 'can't open website' message on my browser.

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

yesterday was the worst ever for not being able to open threads... i kept getting that 'can't do it' message all day long, till it finally let me navigate many hours later... so far, so good today... fingers/toes/eyes all crossed...........

4. mammamaia

yesterday was the worst ever for not being able to open threads... i kept getting that 'can't do it' message all day long, till it finally let me navigate many hours later... so far, so good today... fingers/toes/eyes all crossed...........

aaaagggghhh!... ok, i take it back... when i hit 'post' i got a 'fatal error' message!... will keep trying till this gets posted but after that i may stay off the site till later, when i've more patience...

---------- Post added at 05:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:03 AM ----------

ye, gods!... as you can see, the 'fatal error' message was itself an error, since the post did 'take'!

but all the font options have disappeared from the quick reply box, for some weird reason!!!

---------- Post added at 05:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:05 AM ----------

ye, gods!... as you can see, the 'fatal error' message was itself an error, since the post did 'take'!

but all the font options have disappeared from the quick reply box, for some weird reason!!!

5. mammamaia

---------- Post added at 05:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:05 AM ----------

'this program cannot display the webpage' is what i got when i tried to post this one!

trying again...................

6. VM80

VM80 Contributor Contributor

I kept getting 'database error' yesterday and this morning as well.

Otherwise it's just ridiculously slow...

7. mammamaia

getting weirder and weirder, with those 'post added' things... where'd they come from?

8. mammamaia

getting weirder and weirder, with those 'post added' things... where'd they come from?

9. Daniel

Some of the database configuration and server memory settings/allowances were likely causing the slow loading times. This should be mostly fixed. I'll do further optimization tonight.

10. mammamaia

still a major mess on all fronts, daniel!

nothing's any better today... see my post in the 'upgrade' thread...

11. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

I'm starting to think we do need to revert. Or get a new server. Or something. Sometimes I can get on with no trouble (other than taking interminably long to do so), only to be faced with the 'fatal error' thing after checking out 1-2 posts. Or getting a blank screen. I just worry that if things don't get straightened out soon, people will stop trying.

12. Infinitytruth

Infinitytruth New Member

The reply button is now my issue. 5 minutes to get here and reply sometimes it doesn't work at all.

Seriously...if it wasn't broke why fix it? This site has been unsurfable since the upgrade. It's just too damn painful to be here.

13. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Site is better for me today than it has been in a while. I just can edit posts. Tried on different computers. And the formatting of my posts is messed up. Not sure what's up with that, but I'm looking into it.

14. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

Yes, the reply button is totally unworkable. No way of automatically quoting someone - have to use quick reply space at the bottom.

15. Jonathan22

Jonathan22 New Member

This is the first day in about a week I've actually been able to get on the site properly without some sort of Load error or whatever coming up on the page when I click anyway on the site. I've not been able to post new threads on the writing workshop since the change either. It's all rather frustrating but I understand it must be difficult for the software guys installing the new site. I'm willing to be patient 'cause I think this writing forum is better than most, but others just visiting now I fear will get a pretty bad impression of it...

16. mammamaia

it's just as bad for me today... took three tries to just get the site to open and then another three before i could get into this thread... i expect it'll take more successive tries to get this post to take, as well...

---------- Post added at 04:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:41 AM ----------

major surprise!... it worked on the first try... hope it'll hold true for the rest of the site today...

17. the1

the1 Active Member

New server time.....

18. Daniel

Hey everyone, quick update: We had some issues with the database as a result of the upgrade. For those of you more tech-savvy, we had to optimize several tables and then defragment many as well. We did this the past two nights, starting around 10 pm, and it lasted several hours. If you experienced problems from around 10 pm CST to 4 am CST, it was likely due to us fixing the problem. I'm aware there could still be some loading issues, but they should largely be resolved. I'm currently looking into the problem with posting replies (getting the reply page to load). I hope to have this fixed sometime tomorrow. Thanks for your patience!

19. mammamaia

what about getting the text options [bold, color, etc.] back?... they're really necessary, imo, since it's hard to do a critique without them...

and the edit function doesn't work, either... i can get an edit window to open, but after i make the changes, it won't post...

20. Daniel

^ I'll look into that as well, once I fix the reply issue. For anyone else experiencing issues, please report them here to make sure I'm aware of them.

21. Daniel

Alright, I believe I've fixed all major issues. If you're continuing to have problems please tell me - post in this thread or PM/email me if need be. The "post added" feature, which combined posts that were back-to-back - was intentional but I've gone ahead and removed it. The editor should be restored, the ability to save and edit posts, the "reply with quote" and advanced reply functionality should be restored. Pages should be loading at a reasonable speed as well.

Thanks for your patience.

22. Allan Paas

Allan Paas New Member

checking if I can post

YAY, it worked!!!

1 person likes this.